01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
it's cool

but

it's not a wagon

ih8cdanz

BoulderGeek
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a fun 1984 244Ti.

Not quite a drifting machine, unless you get into boost on a wet onramp. His 740 has a wee bit more HP and torque.

But, 22 years and 200K after it was built, it's a lovely car. Or, it would be, if it have even one drink holder!

Evidently this dude has practiced on those streets a few times. Great, now I need a 500BHP car!

manet
01-24-2007, 04:21 PM
true this _ in high school we set a volvo skid length record.

seems you can't steer an airborn volvo wagon, so when
we landed from our brief flight the bend in the road had
been replaced with a very large maple tree. evasive action
at the end of the skid climaxed with a roll-over. the only
injury was to the front passenger as he hit his head when
the seatbelt was released... he was hanging up side down.
drinking was not involved but a loose unsheathed hatchet was.

Too Tall
01-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Gasp. That was cool.

BoulderGeek
01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
true this ...
drinking was not involved but a loose unsheathed hatchet was.

DAYYYYUM!

Next time I decide to roll a car, I am going to ensure that _everything_ in the car has a sheath on! Everything. :( :eek: :p

I guess the sheath does make one safer...

As a former mullet-wearing, metal-thrashing, substance-abusing Pennsylvania Camaro driver, I, too, have launched a car or three into cornfields. Rear wheel steering is mandatory. Never flipped one, though.

jthurow
01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
They're gonna' ruin those tires doin' that. :rolleyes:

jimi

manet
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
we also rolled over a barracuda (one with the big beautiful crazy rear glass) while screwing around in the local sand pits. it was winter and the ruts we hit sliding sideways were frozen, so the car rolled...

there's lots more... how bout a *****ay, orange vega wrapped around a telephone pole. the pole laughed.

DAYYYYUM!

Next time I decide to roll a car, I am going to ensure that _everything_ in the car has a sheath on! Everything. :( :eek: :p

I guess the sheath does make one safer...

As a former mullet-wearing, metal-thrashing, substance-abusing Pennsylvania Camaro driver, I, too, have launched a car or three into cornfields. Rear wheel steering is mandatory. Never flipped one, though.

David Kirk
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
seems like it might have an issue with oversteer. I'm no expert but that's what it looks like.

Dave

Too Tall
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
http://onelapofamerica.com/history/2002/results/showResults.shtml?y=2002&res=MIDPRICED

Bill Cook (see results in mid-price sedan) is a local guy with a 700+ HP Volvo sedan. He did well in one lap of America. He sent me a DVD of some race track footage.

Don't you love it when people do really massively goofy "sleeper" cars?

A.L.Breguet
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
[url]
Don't you love it when people do really massively goofy "sleeper" cars?

Hmmm, there's this AMC Pacer for sale.....

Tony Edwards
01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Pretty neat, although that engine note isn't a thing of great beauty.

Kevan
01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Why?

gasman
01-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Why?

More importantly-Why not ?

Bet they say "Why?" when someone says they do a 100 mile ride once a month just because. ;)

D

Kevan
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
More importantly-Why not ?

Bet they say "Why?" when someone says they do a 100 mile ride once a month just because. ;)

D

Good point.

ti_boi
01-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Pretty neat, although that engine note isn't a thing of great beauty.

5 cylinder motors are very hard to balance...(uneven number of cylinders?)..at high RPMs Volvo's sound ugly....

Tony Edwards
01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
5 cylinder motors are very hard to balance...(uneven number of cylinders?)..at high RPMs Volvo's sound ugly....

In this instance it was a 4-cylinder engine (though in all fairness there aren't a lot of inline 4s that sound all that great either), but I'm with ya on the 5-cylinder cars. Actually I really like the Volvo S60R and V70R, but they have a full-blown case of the 5-cylinder-engine-don't-sound-so-great blues.

William
01-25-2007, 07:22 AM
What? :confused:

That's my typical morning commute in my S-70.

William

ti_boi
01-25-2007, 03:19 PM
In this instance it was a 4-cylinder engine (though in all fairness there aren't a lot of inline 4s that sound all that great either), but I'm with ya on the 5-cylinder cars. Actually I really like the Volvo S60R and V70R, but they have a full-blown case of the 5-cylinder-engine-don't-sound-so-great blues.

I am thinking about the V70R....they have a nice one near me....but I think they are OVERPRICED! Based on the rarity factor...or is it the brembo brakes! Either way, I am really close to -- maybe -- upgrading

Lincoln
01-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I am thinking about the V70R....they have a nice one near me....but I think they are OVERPRICED! Based on the rarity factor...or is it the brembo brakes! Either way, I am really close to -- maybe -- upgrading

One of my best friends has a V70R with the 6spd. It's a great sleeper. They don't hold their value very well, you can pick one up for about 1/2 off retail now (20-25k for an '04). Just be sure to get an extended warranty, lots of big, expensive stuff that goes wrong on those puppies. As a matter of fact he's been driving a V40 loaner the last couple of days.

ti_boi
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah, They are asking $38k for an 06 with 12k miles.....not really that into it...drove the sedan on a test once and it felt cavernous....liked the openess of the 3 series bimmer better. As for the handling and brakes...it stops very, very well....with the authority of a race car. handling is interesting....very on rails feel...not as refined as the German stuff but a hugger in the Swedish sense....kind of like a nice tall blonde girl with strong arms... :cool:

Acceleration is pretty impressive...but you lose A LOT of torque with the automatic and since this is a family wagon auto it will be....

mike p
01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Looked like loads of fun, but 8.084 @ 155 If thats suposed to be it's quarter mi time I have to say no way in hell.

Mike

Lincoln
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
ti_boi,

I agree with your assessment. And living in Jersey I would think you could find a better match. It works for my friend because the awd is important and the turbo means that even here at 7000' it's losing very little power to the altitude (whereas a normally aspirated engine is down about 20% here). Also the stick was a huge plus for him (he actually traded in a ~2001 V70R for this one just to get the stick). If you want one look for an '04 with 45k miles in the low 20's and get an extended warranty through volvo.

Too Tall
01-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Mike, I think that was not a 1/4 mile track and yah gottta consider that puppy has a massive boost. The engine is destined to detonate. It's stupid and impressive. F.Y.I. I believe you can get stick version of the v series wagons in canada.

Bittersweet
01-26-2007, 08:02 AM
We have an '04 V70R purchased with 9k miles on it in '05. My wife drove all the wagon models and deemed the suspension too soft and I said I had the one solution without going MB AMG wagon (read way way too expensive). I searched the standard outlets: cars.com, autotrader.com, ebay, etc and found it outside of DC at the dealer. Extended warranty of 6 yrs/100k from the dealer is key as this rig is full of high tech electrics and quirky low volume features that are best addressed under warranty if needed. It is a real sleeper and in advanced suspension mode quite a nice car, nevermind wagon, to drive in a spirited fashion. Switch to "comfort" and it's fine on expansion joints etc. Besides MB there is very little out there with an available third row seat if you want a wagon (never SUV) and that was a must to take my girls and the neighbor kids to school.

We love this rig but my one big caveat is that it is really really low to the ground and anywhere off main roads causes concern about rubbing the bottom where there is a low exhaust bracket. This will never affect you if you live in the city or suburbs but in the sticks here in W. MA it can cause concern on dirt roads with wagon tracks. (I live in D2R2 land).

Overall a fun ride.

stevep
01-26-2007, 08:07 AM
What? :confused:

That's my typical morning commute in my S-70.
William

ive seen william drive. that looks like him when hes worried about the gas mileage...
easy on the pedal, like that guy.

jmewkill
01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
We have a 97 V70r that replaced a 740 wagon with a 5.0l V8 conversion (another story).

We keep the car for two reasons, our second child was born in it - my wife was faster than the car. Plus it is still a great car for us.

The reliability in the mechanicals has been great, though the electronics require a large cash infusion every year or so.