PDA

View Full Version : Dt rr 411

stephenmarklay
06-09-2020, 09:19 AM
I asked about this rim on another post but no responses to it.

I am trying to get some wheels and lighten up my heavy urban bike.

Is this a rim any of you have used? On paper it looks good but they are more $.

Thoughts on this one are appreciated.

Bob Ross
06-09-2020, 09:23 AM
I have used that 411 rim. Are they still available? I've been using DT Swiss rims (and hubs, and spokes) on most of my bikes for over a decade, and I love them...but every time I need a new one it seems like whatever model I previously owned has been discontinued!

ryker
06-09-2020, 09:34 AM
I have not ridden them but have built several and they come together very nicely.

FlashUNC
06-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Have been using a set for the last year or so with Aerolite spokes. Wonderful wheels.

sg8357
06-09-2020, 11:47 AM
As of yesterday, I've 5 wheels with built with them.

The washers are a bit fiddly, you will drop one into the rim,
it'll fall out. They build easily, you need to use tubeless tape.
I use the pro-head, pro-lock nipples, instead of the sqworx ones.
(Sqworx wheels are build by Dr. Seuss ?)

stephenmarklay
06-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Thank you guys. Right now the Archtypes, which I like, are low stock most places and the prices are pretty close.

I think I will try a pair.

Gummee
06-09-2020, 08:43 PM
I've built 2 pair now. Offset opposite the disc and standard in the rear.

I've been beating on em on the gravel lately. Holding up fine.

Pretty darn good for a lightweight road rim

M

oldpotatoe
06-10-2020, 06:09 AM
I asked about this rim on another post but no responses to it.

I am trying to get some wheels and lighten up my heavy urban bike.

Is this a rim any of you have used? On paper it looks good but they are more $.

Thoughts on this one are appreciated.

I have built many wheelsets using DT411 rims. They are great but light, rims. They use nipple washers and a DT designed nipple, that comes in alloy or brass, that kinda makes up for some of it's low weight. Depending on use, rider technique and finesse, weight and wheel design(spoke count and lacing), it can be a great wheelset.

Yes, as mentioned, you CAN use just a normal nipple with these and the other Squorx designed rims..like 511...

I wouldn't think it's the best choice for a 'heavy urban bike', considering the weight of the bike and the conditions it is ridden in. I think a heavier rim, like DT460, would be a better idea..it's only about 30 grams heavier(an ounce) but a 'stronger' rim, all else being equal.
I have used that 411 rim. Are they still available?

Yes..too bad they did away with DT440..really liked that rim.

Nomadmax
06-10-2020, 06:38 AM
I have built many wheelsets using DT411 rims. They are great but light, rims. They use nipple washers and a DT designed nipple, that comes in alloy or brass, that kinda makes up for some of it's low weight. Depending on use, rider technique and finesse, weight and wheel design(spoke count and lacing), it can be a great wheelset.

Yes, as mentioned, you CAN use just a normal nipple with these and the other Squorx designed rims..like 511...

I wouldn't think it's the best choice for a 'heavy urban bike', considering the weight of the bike and the conditions it is ridden in. I think a heavier rim, like DT460, would be a better idea..it's only about 30 grams heavier(an ounce) but a 'stronger' rim, all else being equal.

I have two pairs of wheels built with DT411 rims built on Record hubs (32 holes) built by OP. I weigh 160 and ride on roads that are not well maintained. Both are as straight and true as the day I took them out of the box and they go up hills well. I like them so much he's building me a set of the disc versions at this very moment.

I said all that to say this, they're great rims that don't weigh a lot. As to how much trouble they are to build and the washer thing, I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't ride any wheel I had a hand in building.

stephenmarklay
06-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Thank you so much for your advice. For sure 30g is not going to make or break anything. I actually steered towards the 411 vs the 460 because it has a slightly higher weight limit - 120kg vs 110kg for the 460. No clue if any of that matters…

I intend on doing a 32 3x rear at the very least.