PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fenn's Treasure has been found!

RFC
06-09-2020, 08:14 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/06/08/decade-old-quest-hidden-treasure-chest-is-over-millionaire-who-hid-it-says-it-was-just-found/

AngryScientist
06-09-2020, 08:20 AM
that's really awesome, i had not heard about this in the past. what an excellent thing - to be out in nature, on a real life treasure hunt.

i feel embarrassed and disappointed to read that people over the year have tried to sue him for silly reasons. some people have zero sense of personal accountability.

Many of the treasure seekers have filed lawsuits against Fenn, claiming he used misleading clues to deliberately divert people from ultimately locating the chest.

really exciting though. i hope the winner publishes some notes about his quest to find it and the ultimate discovery.

we can dare to dream!

oldpotatoe
06-09-2020, 08:27 AM
that's really awesome, i had not heard about this in the past. what an excellent thing - to be out in nature, on a real life treasure hunt.

i feel embarrassed and disappointed to read that people over the year have tried to sue him for silly reasons. some people have zero sense of personal accountability.

really exciting though. i hope the winner publishes some notes about his quest to find it and the ultimate discovery.

we can dare to dream!

Yup, too bad tho..
A New Mexico art and antiques collector announced 10 years ago that he hid a chest containing $2 million in riches deep in the Rocky Mountains. He told people to go hunt for it — and hundreds of thousands of adventurers did just that. At least five people died while on the quest.

KJMUNC
06-09-2020, 08:37 AM
When you think about the vast scale of the wilderness and the relative obscurity of the poem itself, it's pretty amazing someone was able to find it.

My guess is we won't hear much about the details. Anyone who comes out about finding it will immediately be hounded by every tax-seeking organization you can imagine. I'm not sure how you fence a box full of jewels, but if you commit the time to look for it I'd bet you have a plan to not give up half of it to the tax man.

Original poem below:

charliedid
06-09-2020, 08:44 AM
I had not heard of this until the other day either. I just saw this in the Chic. Trib.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-treasure-chest-rocky-mountains-forrest-fenn-20200608-xltbeao5zvbkjiby732x73fhxe-story.html

Gsinill
06-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Yeah very cool, read about it yesterday.

Not sure about the reasons for the lawsuits, but apparently 4 people died trying to find the treasure. I assume that's what some greedy lawyers are hoping to cash in on.

I doubt there will be a lot of information shared by the finder, at least not voluntarily.
According to the article I read, (s)he wants to stay anonymous.
I hope they succeed.

Would be cool though if Mr. Fenn provided some hints on how to interpret the poem...

unterhausen
06-09-2020, 08:54 AM
People die going out into the wilderness unprepared. It's not uncommon at all. Maybe a treasure hunt attracts people that are more likely to ignore the danger.

dbnm
06-09-2020, 09:00 AM
As someone who lives local to this, it's been very cool to follow and hear about the stories.

Also, a lawsuit has already been filed. A woman claims her computer had the location of the treasure and her computer was hacked by the person who found it.

charliedid
06-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Yeah very cool, read about it yesterday.

Not sure about the reasons for the lawsuits, but apparently 4 people died trying to find the treasure. I assume that's what some greedy lawyers are hoping to cash in on.

I doubt there will be a lot of information shared by the finder, at least not voluntarily.
According to the article I read, (s)he wants to stay anonymous.
I hope they succeed.

Would be cool though if Mr. Fenn provided some hints on how to interpret the poem...

And the woman in the Trib article lives in my neighborhood. Apparently was involved in a high profile divorce here. She is saying she was "hacked" and that her "find" was stolen? I dunno if you spend all that time and money and think you found it you go and get it...

Fishy.

Either way a great story about the original hunt regardless who found it I guess.

JohnnyBoston
06-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Very Cool. I don't have enough hidden treasure related news in my life.

stephenmarklay
06-09-2020, 07:34 PM
My 14 year old daughter spent a week or two not this so I was kinda in the know. Pretty neat really.

William
06-09-2020, 08:50 PM
My 14 year old daughter spent a week or two not this so I was kinda in the know. Pretty neat really.

Our daughter wrote a piece on this a few years ago, cool to see somone found it.

W.

el cheapo
06-10-2020, 07:11 AM
Until someone comes forward with the loot I'm not buying this story. Fenn used this hunt to make money and seek publicity. My ripoff radar is pointing to...scam.

stephenmarklay
06-10-2020, 07:14 AM
Until someone comes forward with the loot I'm not buying this story. Fenn used this hunt to make money and seek publicity. My ripoff radar is pointing to...scam.

Interesting thought.

mistermo
06-10-2020, 08:06 AM
With the treasure gone, he could at least solve the poem riddle for us.

charliedid
06-10-2020, 08:32 AM

Interesting, so you think the entire thing was a sham from the get go?

Hmmm

redir
06-10-2020, 08:54 AM
I remember hearing about this years ago and thought it was the coolest thing ever. People die doing all kinds of things, you will find out one day too ;) At least those people died with a childish excitement and adventure in their hearts.

With the treasure gone, he could at least solve the poem riddle for us.

Yes to this! That would be really cool.

merlinmurph
06-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Then, there's the tax implications and who it actually belongs to (https://www.outsideonline.com/2414537/forrest-fenn-treasure-found-what-happens-next)

In this case, the problem with telling everyone about the location of Fenn’s treasure is that there’s a good chance it doesn’t legally belong to the person who found it. It varies by state, but in general, treasure found on private property belongs to the land owner, not the finder. Pretty much the only way to stay out of court is to negotiate the split of any findings ahead of time.

cgates66
06-10-2020, 03:15 PM
I had the idea it was somewhere in Yankee Jim Canyon - I'm very curious to hear where it actually is (west side, on a hill/mountain about halfway between Sphinx and Cinnabar). Fenn is a very curious character, and his writing about his life is interesting.

Lots of variety and initiative.

ORMojo
06-19-2020, 12:31 PM
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/forrest-fenn-treasure-chest-pictures-trnd/index.html

charliedid
06-19-2020, 01:46 PM
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/forrest-fenn-treasure-chest-pictures-trnd/index.html

Still too vague for my taste.

We have no idea when that photo was taken do we? If I had been part of all this, I would have documented "the find" with both stills and video but that's just me.

The beat goes on...

AngryScientist
12-07-2020, 03:26 PM
https://medium.com/@thefinder/a-statement-on-the-disclosure-of-my-identity-602d95f04b9f

Jack Stuef you SOB !!

oldpotatoe
12-08-2020, 06:10 AM
https://medium.com/@thefinder/a-statement-on-the-disclosure-of-my-identity-602d95f04b9f

Jack Stuef you SOB !!

Dead link:confused:

RoosterCogset
12-08-2020, 06:26 AM
I happened to be living in the UK at the time Masquerade came out. Surprised more of these treasure hunts aren't created in this fashion -- ie. packaging and selling the clues in a manner that the book sales outstrip the cost of the treasure itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(book)

charliedid
12-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Love it.

Velocipede
12-08-2020, 10:26 AM
I'd love to know what evidence the Plaintiff in NM has that this guy hacked her emails and texts to find it. I highly doubt anything and she's just claiming so in hopes of getting a win. But given it wasn't found in NM, not sure it would even make to an actual trial stage.

Toddtwenty2
12-08-2020, 10:34 AM
I'd love to know what evidence the Plaintiff in NM has that this guy hacked her emails and texts to find it. I highly doubt anything and she's just claiming so in hopes of getting a win. But given it wasn't found in NM, not sure it would even make to an actual trial stage.

Represented by Rudy Giuliani, no doubt ; )

Velocipede
12-08-2020, 10:45 AM
represented by rudy giuliani, no doubt ; )

lol!!!!