PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting S & S Couplers to an existing frame

Moneywatch
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
I want to retrofit a 2005 Fierte Ti frame with S & S Couplers so I can use it as a travel bike. I plan on using Bilenky Cycle Works to do the fitting. I am looking for any advice or experiences from anyone who has done this. Thanks in advance!

Ray
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Bilenky installed couplers on a steel frame for me several years ago. They did a good job - no problems. I've heard some ti builders recommend against retrofitting ti unless the tubes are straight guage, thick enough, and round. If Bilenky claims they can retrofit butted and ovalized tubes, they probably can, but it might be worth a question or two.

In any case, I was very satisfied with the work they did for me.

-Ray

bluehorseshoe
01-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I used BCW to saw my steel atlanta in half. They did a fantastic job and turned it around in record time. They were responsive and attentive, too.

I love being able to travel with my bike. Its made being on the road a whole lot better. I couldn't be happier.

chrisroph
01-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Isn't it pretty spendy? Why not just buy a ritchey?

FATBOY
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Rather than asking the Forum I would probably ask Serotta first. I brought this question up with Co-Motion once and they were emphatic in suggesting against it. Besides, Ti couplers are crazy spendy. You could buy a good travel case and fly that baby many times before you were close to the price of this retrofit I would guess.