PDA

View Full Version : Mtn. Bike Handlebar Width

jckid
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm in the market for a pair of mountain bike handlebars. I'm basically a roadie that's getting back into mountain biking after many years of road-only riding. I have no clue as to what width of mountain bike handlebars I should be looking for. I'm guessing something a little narrower than the norm, since I'm a female rider. For comparison, I use 40CM bars on my road bike. What width of mountain bars would you guys suggest?

BURCH
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
My handle bars have always been this wide: I hold me arms straight out like I am holding the bike up in the air by the handle bars. I cut my bars to be no wider than that (unless you are adding barends which I don't).

The most important thing to do is make them as narrow as you can without giving up comfort because those trees like to snag your handlebars if they stick out. Mine are wider than most people I ride with, but I like where they are and I am a little more careful around the trees.

Ginger
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Some people prefer to leave them a little wider for climbing....

I cut them 2mm narrower than the smallest opening I need to fit them through.
:)

That is something....if you're talking flat bars, mountain bars are basically a pipe, you can cut them to length unlike drop bars that you need to buy by size.

theprep
01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Ms. Jckid

Do you know if you prefer a straighter bar or one with more sweep back. Straight, non riser bars usually come in 3 degrees or around 5 degrees. These tend to be around 23 inches wide.

Riser bars usually have more sweep back at around 8 degrees and are usually 25 inches plus.

For woods riding I think you should stay 23" or smaller.

Ginger
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM
that depends on if you have hills or not. Some like to leave their bars wider for climbing.

And it is a bit easier if you leave them a tad wide and learn to wiggle through the trees.

My replaced ACL and I advise AGAINST bar ends...
(that's where that went...caught a commuter bar end on a lil ole tree...the walk out sucked...) they're handy bash gaurds if you get the right shape, but you should try not to whack trees any harder than padded full finger gloves will protect you from.

shanerpvt
01-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Titec makes a female specific bar - the HellCat. i think it is a narrower riser bar that is alittle smaller diameter on the ends.

thanks all i know about them,

shaner

avalonracing
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
In the early 90's the trend was toward smaller and smaller bars. A few years ago they were getting higher and wider. As long time MTB'er I would recommend something in between. I'm fairly broad shouldered and I use 560mm bars and use Cane Creek bar ends (bar ends were also all the rage in the 90's but out of favor with many now).

Bars that are too wide will grab trees and bars that are too narrow will mess up your handling as well as give you back and neck pain.

Steelhead
01-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Titec makes a female specific bar - the HellCat.

aptly named..... :D :banana:

Fixed
01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
bro I ride a fixed gear mt. bike only now ,my other bikes are wall art .
i go as narrow as i can ..cos i to fit in tight spaces imho
cheers