PDA

View Full Version : Branson / Hollister MO Riding?

CDollarsign
06-08-2020, 02:24 PM
All,
I have been spending a lot of time at my mom's lake house with offices being closed. Wondering if anyone has ridden road around there and has good routes compiled. I will be honest and say that I am kind of scared riding hilly and curvy country two lane highway which compromises most of the roads I am around.

Thanks in advance.

Sparshall
06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
All,
I have been spending a lot of time at my mom's lake house with offices being closed. Wondering if anyone has ridden road around there and has good routes compiled. I will be honest and say that I am kind of scared riding hilly and curvy country two lane highway which compromises most of the roads I am around.

Thanks in advance.

Rode down there several years ago on a group trip. Had an amazing time. Drivers were very nice. Would love to go down there again and search out some gravel/dirt roads. Here’s a couple routes we did...the 80mi route was awesome!

https://strava.app.link/O2LDcWVY96
https://strava.app.link/D0SewJ1Y96

weisan
06-08-2020, 05:07 PM
We used to live in St Louis, the closest we got to Branson was through Springfield, in fact, we stopped by Joplin a day after the monster twister razed the town to the ground, it was eerie....

Looks like you are surrounded by national forests, ever consider hiking? :p

Plum Hill
06-08-2020, 08:33 PM
I enquired about road riding at a Branson bike shop some years ago. Reply was “are you crazy?”.
They said MTB was the only way to go.

RJR
06-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Have just been down there a couple times with my in-laws and thought the roads looked amazing. Also thought with the number of cars, it would be really sketchy to ride. The gravel roads would be an interesting option, I suppose.

bthomas515
06-08-2020, 08:50 PM
My family all live down there. I’ve discovered the locals are mainly older and sketched by the roads (see above comment from lbs). I ride down there every few months and really enjoy it. Traditionally just load a route and take off. Mountain riding is also surprising really nice.

Louis
06-09-2020, 02:42 AM
I suppose on the positive side of things, if one ever were to want to ride the roads around Branson, now would be the time.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (St Louis) unlike C$, I still have to go in to work...

CDollarsign
06-09-2020, 07:16 AM
Thanks for those routes, the 80 miler is close to my moms house but with 7k in climbing I am probably not ready for it.

Will do some scouting this weekend. Her house is right on the water and the only access is 2 lane windy roads with no shoulder. I would need to start somewhere like you guys did.

FriarQuade
06-10-2020, 11:45 AM
The roads in the corner of the world would be amazing for all kinds of things if they weren't clogged with old people driving 15 under the speed limit.

Branson is a BYOB kind of place. All the places you would think would sell a nice cold beer, don't.