PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamal Ultra vs Mille?

drgonzo
06-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Campy Shamal Ultra and Shamal Ultra wheel set? Based on the Campy website, the only difference I see is that the Ultra is available in bright label and has the 2-way fit option. I also notice the the Ultra clincher version weighs 10g less than the Mille but has a €142 LOWER mspr than the Mille. So what exactly is the difference? For that matter, I'd love a breakdown of the hierarchy for the entire line of wheels - if there's a website that lays that out, please share.

Thanks!

Hellgate
06-07-2020, 08:37 PM
The Mille has a ceramic coating on the rim and brake track, the Ultra is a machined brake track.

I have the Ultras and I'm very happy with them. They are my winter wheels and have held up nicely thru rain, mud and yuck.

I've not ridden the Mille, however, the braking is supposed to be excellent with Campy blue pads. Or is it green pads? Regardless, both are excellent wheels.

Dino Suegiù
06-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Essentially, Ultra vs Mille (in rim brake versions):

Ultra: Silver (machined) brake track + silver nipples; can use a variety of brake pads.

Mille: Black (ceramic) brake track + black nipples; more "stealth" look; blue brake pads (generally wear faster) highly recommended.

The differences are all in aesthetics and to a far lesser degree braking. No other differences afaik.

flying
06-07-2020, 08:40 PM
I always thought those Mille's look hot but I cannot imagine the black brake tracks won't eventually have silver streaks

FlashUNC
06-07-2020, 08:42 PM
I always thought those Mille's look hot but I cannot imagine the black brake tracks won't eventually have silver streaks

They will. Great wheels, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just get the Ultras and be done with it.

And unless you're running tubeless, do not get the 2 Way Fit.

drgonzo
06-07-2020, 08:47 PM
They will. Great wheels, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just get the Ultras and be done with it.

You answered the two deciding questions I had, thanks!!

Clean39T
06-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Was going to chime in with that - if you want tubeless, be sure to get 2-way-fit - otherwise go for the clincher version for easier mounting..

Also, just FYI - if you want Shimano FHB, Fulcrum Racing Zero, Zero Nite, and Zero Competizione are all similar to Shamals and excellent wheels, sometimes cheaper.

Dino Suegiù
06-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Also drgonzo:
imo the current Shamal graphics (whether "dark label" or "bright label") on the Campagnolo website are not so great. The "dark label" is no longer actually completely dark.

My (I do not recall the year, ~2015, see below) Shamal Ultra (non-Mille) have very nice grey/black only labels, no white at all. The graphics look much nicer/simpler/more discreet than the current iterations imo.

2020 Shamal Mille "Dark Label" graphics:
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/immagini/7734_n_SHAMALmille_ant.jpg

2020 Shamal Ultra "Bright Label" graphics:
https://images.sidelineswap.com/production/003/415/690/20b85b75dac91a11_small.jpeg

~2015 Shamal Ultra "Dark Label" graphics:
https://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/%400_mall/mapsports-syuppin/cabinet/new04/2014120174846_1.jpg

Wakatel_Luum
06-07-2020, 09:38 PM
I'd love a set of the Shamal Mille wheels but I have so many wheels already that need culling...

CSKeller
06-07-2020, 09:38 PM
I can't comment on the current Shamals but if they are anything like my 10yr old Shamals that are 2way fit they should be bombproof.

I'm a clyde and have been running them tubeless ever since I bought them. Awesome all-around wheels! If I were to buy a new set I would skip the Mille version because the coating will eventually get scrubbed off.

Great wheels! You can't go wrong with either version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clean39T
06-07-2020, 09:45 PM
All the graphics are easy to pull off though..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

msriddle
06-08-2020, 07:18 AM
I’ve had both, the Mille provide the best braking feel in aluminum I’ve experienced. The black coating is holding up well so far but I suspect it will start wearing out. I was looking for the all black look that the Mille provides.

Conservatively, when you think about the wear and the special blue pads required, the ultras are the logical choice.

FlashUNC
06-08-2020, 08:09 AM
You answered the two deciding questions I had, thanks!!

Oh and the specific blue pads can be a pain in the butt to source, especially if you're using shimano compatible pad holders and need to get the Fulcrum version of the pads.

shinomaster
06-08-2020, 11:51 AM
I want Milles for braking in wet weather, more than the aesthetics.

ThasFACE
06-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Got both, and both are outstanding wheels. Mille look cooler to my eye, but I never worry about conditions with the Ultras, so the Ultras tend to get more use. If I had to have one set it'd be the Ultras for sure.

drgonzo
06-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Appreciate all the insight from those that have hands on experience. Sounds to me that going with the Ultras is the right choice for my needs.

Just for grins, and to tap into the collective expertise here, is there a compelling reason for me to consider going with a Bora carbon wheel? The ~$900 price of Ultras is what I had planned to spend but I could budget more if there was a good reason. I will definitely be running rim brakes, clinchers with tubes, and I value ride quality and durability as much as weight. I don't care for high profile rims (too many cross winds where I ride) so those are off the table for me as well.

I think the answer is clear that the Shamal Ultras are the perfect balance but would love to know if I'm missing something.

makoti
06-08-2020, 03:56 PM
I have the current, two way fit Shamals. Great, great wheels. I do run them tubeless. They are pretty stiff, and the added comfort of tubeless is quite noticeable to me.
I almost got the Mille, mostly on looks (face it, they do look better), but worried about the black ending up streaked gray, the need for special pads (I have carbon, if I want to switch pads), and they aren't two way. Not sure what the talk about mounting tires is. I've had both tubed & tubeless on them, and never an issue.

The reason to go Bora is you want carbon. That's it. That's a good reason, but I don't think you'll notice a big difference in them. Same bearings/hubs, I believe.

Blue Jays
06-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Campagnolo Shamal wheels are really fantastic. Great, strong, and reliable performers in all conditions.
As far as Ultra vs. Mille it really is not a big deal if the coating wears on the brake track.
My experience is that most people do not perceive marks on brake tracks as messy, unsightly, or neglected.

msriddle
06-08-2020, 06:12 PM
If you are on a budget, Zondas at half the price do not give away much noticeable difference or weight to either version of the shamals.

Going up to bora one is an upgrade to many but a downgrade in braking.

These are my opinions having owned all 3 for extended times. All great, including zondas.

flying
06-08-2020, 06:45 PM
If you are on a budget, Zondas at half the price do not give away much noticeable difference or weight to either version of the shamals.

These are my opinions having owned all 3 for extended times. All great, including zondas.

+1 I have to say I am Zonda's all the way & feel it is the best spot in value vs weight performance etc

Especially as you can find them for $330-$350 online delivered

makoti
06-08-2020, 06:56 PM

When I bought my high zoot bike, the builder & I discussed wheels. He suggested Zondas, which I had never heard of. Quick search, saw the price, figured they couldn't be that good & I had to have carbon. Mistake. Not huge, since I'm happy with the carbon, but I've heard nothing but raves about the Zondas & ended up buying my girlfriend a set. She loves them. Bang for the buck, a great deal

p nut
06-08-2020, 07:51 PM
+1 I have to say I am Zonda's all the way & feel it is the best spot in value vs weight performance etc

Especially as you can find them for $330-$350 online delivered

I just bought some from Wiggle. $335 delivered. Ordered last Tuesday and got here to the States, today (Monday). Crazy fast delivery. Faster than some Prime orders!