PDA

View Full Version : ROKA sunglasses: for the win!

XXtwindad
06-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Sunglasses. Saddles. Tires. The Holy Triumvirate for finicky cyclists. Thanks to ROKA, I’m 33% of the way home.

First heard about about these glasses in a thread here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243509&highlight=ROKA

Several people vouched for them, and I was intrigued. I got the SL-1X “ion mirror” (rose-colored) for low to mid-level brightness. The loop I did normally is shaded (Redwood Road) and exposed (Pinehurst), especially at the last brutal slog, which has given it the moniker “Painhurst.” It was also intermittently cloudy, which was the perfect conditions to test the glasses on their maiden voyage. (They arrived yesterday)

In a word: fantastic. The fit flawlessly, even for someone with a smaller head such as myself. Really, really light. No fogging. Visibility was excellent. I’m really pleased with them. They look rad off the bike as well. I paid $175 shipped for a custom color combo. They have “carbon” frames for extreme bright light, and I’m going to pick up a pair of those as well.

Pics on and off the bike.

joosttx
06-07-2020, 06:14 PM
This reminds me that I have a $50 off voucher for Roka because I completed a strava challenge. If someone wants it, DM me and I will pass the it along as long as you promise to pay it forward.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49982454886_bcd479f5d6_z.jpg

The glasses look smoking on you!

XXtwindad
06-07-2020, 06:56 PM
This reminds me that I have a $50 off voucher for Roka because I completed a strava challenge. If someone wants it, DM me and I will pass the it along as long as you promise to pay it forward.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49982454886_bcd479f5d6_z.jpg

The glasses look smoking on you!

Thx! The really cool thing is that they’re slip-proof. I personally tested it by going sideways ...

2000m2
06-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Any input on how they handle sweat? My lenses get pretty fouled up with sweat, so looking for some riding glasses to somehow handle that.

XXtwindad
06-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Any input on how they handle sweat? My lenses get pretty fouled up with sweat, so looking for some riding glasses to somehow handle that.

I’m just about to head out on a ride. Bright afternoon light, which according to the specs on the site, is not exactly in the wheelhouse for this lens. I’ll be sweating plenty with a consistent 10 percent grade hill. So I’ll report back and let you know.

tomato coupe
06-08-2020, 03:20 PM
How do sunglasses handle sweat better?

2000m2
06-08-2020, 03:25 PM
I’m just about to head out on a ride. Bright afternoon light, which according to the specs on the site, is not exactly in the wheelhouse for this lens. I’ll be sweating plenty with a consistent 10 percent grade hill. So I’ll report back and let you know.

Awesome, thanks!

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Are there glasses lenses out there that don't get covered in sweat due to some clever design?
Mention in this thread about 100% Speedtraps not getting sweat on the lenses:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243509

madsciencenow
06-08-2020, 03:25 PM

In my experience where/how the frame sits on my head and how it interfaces w my helmet has an impact on how much sweat ends up on the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

So, the ride I did today was 11.5 miles and 1,300 feet of climbing. Almost all of the climbing occurred in the first leg of the ride, where it was mostly exposed.

Here in the East Bay hills, it was about 74 degrees out, with a breeze. Great riding weather. I don't know I there's an app to measure sweat. If there is, I surely don't own it. So, on the unofficial "sweat-o-meter," with "0" being as unsullied an a newborn baby's butt, and "10" leaking like a broken spigot, I'd say I usually fall right around a "7."

On the ride today, a few drops cascaded down my glasses. They didn't leave any residue. No fogging over at all. Nothing has changed my perception that these are great sunglasses. They got more than a few shout outs on the thread mentioned above. If there are naysayers, it would be great to hear from them.

My advice? Buy a pair.

jbay
06-08-2020, 09:09 PM
My lenses get pretty fouled up with sweat, so looking for some riding glasses to somehow handle that.Good ol’ cycling caps for the win. They wick sweat away from my eyes/glasses while also preventing bright light from coming in over the top of my glasses, which I find very bothersome. When I sweat really profusely, it drips off end of the peak.

I have non-cycling specific Rokas and really like their fit and quality. The next time I need a pair of cycling Seymours, they will be on my shortlist.

— John

tomato coupe
06-08-2020, 09:10 PM
They have “carbon” frames for extreme bright light, and I’m going to pick up a pair of those as well.
The carbon lenses are just everyday lenses, not super dark.

2000m2
06-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Cool, thanks