PDA

View Full Version : Positive outcome of Covid-19?

Gsinill
06-06-2020, 07:40 PM
My last 3 longer rides since last weekend have been absolutely awesome.

I.e. the folks on four wheels were extremely courteous, instead of the usual passing with less than 30cm distance, they've been waiting patiently to safely get by.
No impatient tailgating, no redlining after they finally were able to pass.
Even one of the dreaded Diesel pickup trucks passed me almost coasting and then noticeably avoided to rev up.

First time, I thought it was just a lucky coincidence, but the same during my 2nd ride last weekend and again today.
Weird, given all the craziness that is going on otherwise.

Hopefully I didn't jinx it, knocking on wood...

Blue Jays
06-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Excellent ride report news. Good for you!

colker
06-06-2020, 07:53 PM
I learned to cook for myself and to wrench on my bike. Also, more reading.

akelman
06-06-2020, 07:57 PM
I've ridden 87 of the last 90 days and have noticed the same phenomenon: more courtesy from cyclists and motorists. Now it would be great if the damned wind would just calm the f@#k down already! The earth is healing my a$$!

GregL
06-06-2020, 08:58 PM
My wife and I hiked Prospect Mountain in Lake George, NY this morning. When we got to the top, we learned that the road to the summit was closed to vehicle traffic. As soon as we finished the hike, I hopped on my bike and rode to the summit. Five miles up, five miles back down, zero cars, zero cyclists. Two lanes of near perfect pavement all to myself! I was more socially distant on this ride than at any point in the past three months.

Greg

elcolombiano
06-08-2020, 12:21 AM
I've ridden 87 of the last 90 days and have noticed the same phenomenon: more courtesy from cyclists and motorists. Now it would be great if the damned wind would just calm the f@#k down already! The earth is healing my a$$!

Here in the Los Angeles area the drivers drive faster and more aggressively. They are supposed to give you 3ft. Sometimes I feel I get 3 inches.

Bruce K
06-08-2020, 04:25 AM
Completed several home projects
Learned new ways to prep/grill dinners
Got pretty good with my smoker
Finished several home projects
Learned new skills creating online math lessons for my students
Figured out we could be just fine buying way less on Amazon
Shopped a lot more at local businesses for fish, groceries, household items

BK

buddybikes
06-08-2020, 05:38 AM
Home deliveries of incredible breads (whole wheat seeded strong sour dough), fresh fish/seafood including strippers, and veggies. From local not Whole Foods.

Last weekend however, things seem "back to normal', groups bigger, kids playing together, multiple cars parked at houses with pools active. Interesting to see what happens, did we burn this sucker out (hopefully) or is it readying for phase 2 attack.

Mr. Pink
06-08-2020, 07:58 AM
No school makes for awesome afternoon riding around here. Used to dread being on the road at 2:30, when all hell broke loose with a combo of buses and mommies in their mini buses/SUVs. You realize what a large industry that is in well to do suburbia.

Yesterday a thought popped in my head that maybe the reduced air pollution has made vegetation and landscaping more lush around here (upper NYC metro). I know that it's been a wet Spring, especially April, but, man, my garden is in awesome shape, as are many others I see on my rides. Sky has been a lot bluer and crisp on nice days, too.

avalonracing
06-08-2020, 08:03 AM
No school makes for awesome afternoon riding around here.

It is nice not having the busses on the road. Some of the most dangerous passes and pullouts I seen when on my bike have been from school busses.

Mr. Pink
06-08-2020, 08:09 AM
It is nice not having the busses on the road. Some of the most dangerous passes and pullouts I seen when on my bike have been from school busses.

I almost got killed by one a few years ago doing something blatantly stupid and dangerous, and it was full of kids! I was shocked. Almost let it go, but, decided to email some officials. Finally got a response from the superintendent, with a cc of his memo to the troops.
I mean, I'll admit to doing stupid stuff on the road at times, but, when it comes to driving around school buses, I'm a saint, and I expect that in return.

AngryScientist
06-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Many personal and family benefits of Covid-19.

The road riding has never been better. I hadnt considered school traffic, but that's probably a big obvious part of it, but just reduced traffic in general. Roads that i would always be a little nervous on are practically empty at rush hour on a friday. that's unheard of really around here typically.

Spending way more time with my family. I typically business travel a lot and havent been away in a long time. we're all getting along well and doing fun projects and activities. it's a good thing.

eating WAY healthier. all of us. when you travel a lot and are on the go, it's easy to eat like crap and hang out in bars too long. eating every single meal home is easy to identify as a major positive change in my diet. i hope to carry this forward whenever things get back to more normal.

i have a renewed focus on the beauty of the northeast and surrounding areas. i know i cant go explore the west coast gems anytime soon, and i'm back in love with the east and all it has to offer within a car drive from the house.

all good stuff.

Gsinill
06-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Ha, this wasn't actually meant to be a general thread about positive outcomes of C19.
My question in the title was related to the fact that folks seem to be more courteous after the lock up/isolation.

Even better... keep them coming!!!

Here's another one for me.
I like to cook and bake and having been raised in Germany, I love real German style rye bread ("Schwarzbrot").
We have a grocery store that imports some really good variety half-baked (:)) and frozen from the Vaterland and then bakes it at the store.
Since they don't deliver and have no pick up option, no bread for me anymore.

That's when I decided to bake my own.
Full process including setting up and feeding sourdough etc.

Took a few attempts but I now have it pretty much perfected.
Organic flour, yeast and water... As healthy as bread can be.

Make it at least once a week.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200608/b57be728ab0da3b8171e554ce3ec867a.jpg

AngryScientist
06-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Here's another one for me.
I like to cook and bake and having been raised in Germany, I love real German style rye bread ("Schwarzbrot").

how about fresh made pretzel bread? god i love a well made pretzel bread!

get baking! :hello:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/dIugmlsP2m9hvIeZznuHzTB7MEMc0FE2273969zDar4SHvwq3b _kfzjzlMuIrbLFGLsXGj_7UkfBRQKZJ7a-8BXNfI6fJh1iSMuB_-HmXGqvFZPboHms3j2qfClD_z6EjG1c

Gsinill
06-08-2020, 09:45 AM
how about fresh made pretzel bread? god i love a well made pretzel bread!

get baking! :hello:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/dIugmlsP2m9hvIeZznuHzTB7MEMc0FE2273969zDar4SHvwq3b _kfzjzlMuIrbLFGLsXGj_7UkfBRQKZJ7a-8BXNfI6fJh1iSMuB_-HmXGqvFZPboHms3j2qfClD_z6EjG1c

That has to be next once the stash of Trader Joe's and Aldi pretzels in the freezer is depleted.

Tony T
06-08-2020, 09:55 AM
My last 3 longer rides since last weekend have been absolutely awesome.

I.e. the folks on four wheels were extremely courteous, instead of the usual passing with less than 30cm distance, they've been waiting patiently to safely get by.
No impatient tailgating, no redlining after they finally were able to pass.
Even one of the dreaded Diesel pickup trucks passed me almost coasting and then noticeably avoided to rev up.

First time, I thought it was just a lucky coincidence, but the same during my 2nd ride last weekend and again today.
Weird, given all the craziness that is going on otherwise.

Hopefully I didn't jinx it, knocking on wood...

I’ve been experiencing this since March.
Also, when passing walkers/runners/joggers I always give them at least a 6 ft distance (ride the center line on lightly travelled roads), and usually get a wave from them.

theprep
06-08-2020, 10:19 AM
I learned people were hoarding medications in the beginning of Pandemic.

The asthma maintenance medication i was on for last 28 years was not available anywhere.

I rolled with it and was curious as to how I would feel. I have fast acting inhalers if needed.

Lungs feel great. There have been no asthma attacks. It must be 8 weeks now.

Big positive outcome from Covid 19 for me.

bigbill
06-08-2020, 10:21 AM
I never stopped going to work, but I saved a lot of money by not traveling.

tuxbailey
06-08-2020, 10:42 AM
I also baked bread (without bread machine) for the first time. No knead bread is surprisingly simple and tasty.

https://tuxbailey.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3908012281-4.jpg

tuxbailey
06-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I learned people were hoarding medications in the beginning of Pandemic.

The asthma maintenance medication i was on for last 28 years was not available anywhere.

I rolled with it and was curious as to how I would feel. I have fast acting inhalers if needed.

Lungs feel great. There have been no asthma attacks. It must be 8 weeks now.

Big positive outcome from Covid 19 for me.

Might have to do with cleaner air :)

redir
06-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Aside from the occasional MTB ride on the weekend my riding has consisted only of commuting to work and I have not noticed much difference. But there never is much traffic around where I live anyway. Though with the University out it's been nice and quiet down town.

This is the first year in 25 years I have not has a USA Cycling license. I just heard of one of my local-ish races is still going on this August so it got me thinking. If anything this whole COVID thing has made me lazy. :(

I've been a gardener all my life but this year we are trying raised beds.

https://i.imgur.com/sTwRnqJh.jpg

biker72
06-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Still getting lots of full 5 finger waves and the smiles that go with them.
Slight uptick in traffic the last week or two but still fairly low.

Last week I did get one angry honk and another guy yelling that I should be on the sidewalk where I belong. No I didn't follow him home and try to reason with him.

With all the new inexperienced riders I am seeing more kids riding aimlessly in the streets disregarding any traffic. I see a lot of riding the wrong direction and suddenly crossing the street.

I don't think I've ever seen so many adults in street clothes on bikes. Lots of families out there too. Many more walkers...without a cell phone in their hand.

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2020, 02:04 PM
. . . and wondering if all the hand-washing propaganda that has been plastered everywhere may make a difference when we get there again.

BBD