PDA

View Full Version : A message from Phil

R3awak3n
06-06-2020, 03:34 PM
This video was posted in the thread about someone looking for a WC jersey.

I know a lot of people don't like Phil. I like him and I think this is a very good and important video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMdcC63Z0s&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3jcZ3Jtn8ji5YA5ZUUTa0fCcKPIcLS86xYQv8Oe 1fGdJqt7g_3bZtEYWQ

Seems like we are having a little bike renaissance. Shops are busier than ever, more people are ridding bikes and I think we need to keep this going. We all here are pretty into cycling and we all have seen the good and the bad of the sport. It is not an easy sport to get into, a lot of "rules" and a ton of snobbery. We need to just welcome everyone, we want more people doing this and specially people of all races, sexes, shapes and sizes.

phoenix
06-06-2020, 03:49 PM
Great video! I support that 100%!

More cyclists = more advocacy!

Robot870
06-06-2020, 03:56 PM
More bicycles the better!

jtbadge
06-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Cool, maybe we can hang up the "everything needs campy" and "SRAM is worthless" elitist rhetoric here to start.

XXtwindad
06-06-2020, 04:02 PM
I’ve always liked the dude. He’s aware of his “brand” but he’s always pretty amusing.

weisan
06-06-2020, 04:07 PM
I am happy to introduce any newcomers to ride bikes that don't "fit" and have cracks and still have a good time. Been doing it for more than three decades, loads of fun, won't have it any other way.

sw3759
06-06-2020, 04:34 PM
i really like Phil and his message and big fan of his books.not sure the a hole people will heed to some of his common sense suggestions but it cant hurt to remind ourselves not to take this too seriously.
i purchased a worlds jersey back in 96 but never could bring myself to ride with it,a bit of irony that it is a le groupmont worlds jersey..:)

AngryScientist
06-06-2020, 04:41 PM
i tuned up an old cyclocross bike to re-purpose for a complete new person to cycling. he's in college and a good friend of the family.

it definitely didnt fit him properly, and had pretty crazy cyclocross race gearing on it, but hey - he's a fir college guy, he could probably ride a stage of the tour on a unicycle with a flat tire. . he was super stoked to take his first ride, and probably never road anything beyond a beach cruiser and maybe a bmx bike when he was a kid, and he thought he was flying on this drop bar bike.

pretty cool. he's local too and i offered to show him some short loops to get started.

i think most of us here, and even most real cyclists, beyond hardcore racers, are not really elitists, and are happy to encourage new people to the sport.

54ny77
06-06-2020, 05:03 PM
this one was bonkers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo5AYbP9L0s

29k feet of climbing!

jghall
06-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Thanks for posting. Very well said.

biker72
06-06-2020, 06:43 PM
Great video. Thanks for posting.

mjbrekke
06-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Perfect message. I was run off the road by a very inexperienced rider six weeks ago, tore a hole in my knee and have been off a bike ever since. But the net benefit of more people on bikes is still huge, so I’m in favor.

fijichf
06-06-2020, 10:11 PM
And here I thought that it was Phil Liggett content.

Jsafran
06-07-2020, 07:09 AM
Phil has always been a polarizing guy, but you cannot deny his love for cycling.

As a leader in my company’s cycling group I’ve always tried to use the mentality Phil is expressing. More cycling commuters has brought us indoor parking, a storage area, sponsored bike to work days and other benefits.

This happens through accepting that people want a $500 bike off of Bikes Direct to start commuting. I try to encourage finding a used bike for a similar price, but inevitably I help them with their journey. When people ask if the bike is capable, I always say “of course” (unless they want to take a road bike on technical single track). I mostly just help people dig through geometry and ensure they’re going to roughly fit.

It’s amazing how many people naturally get addicted without pushing them. It’s also great to see people buy a $500 bike and ride over 1000 miles a year. With Whenever they ask me why I do certain things, I send them links and articles to let them make their own choices. I never want anyone picking up my habits, good or bad.

NHAero
06-07-2020, 07:43 AM
Very well said!

QUOTE=Jsafran;2735062]Phil has always been a polarizing guy, but you cannot deny his love for cycling.

As a leader in my company’s cycling group I’ve always tried to use the mentality Phil is expressing. More cycling commuters has brought us indoor parking, a storage area, sponsored bike to work days and other benefits.

This happens through accepting that people want a $500 bike off of Bikes Direct to start commuting. I try to encourage finding a used bike for a similar price, but inevitably I help them with their journey. When people ask if the bike is capable, I always say “of course” (unless they want to take a road bike on technical single track). I mostly just help people dig through geometry and ensure they’re going to roughly fit.

It’s amazing how many people naturally get addicted without pushing them. It’s also great to see people buy a $500 bike and ride over 1000 miles a year. With Whenever they ask me why I do certain things, I send them links and articles to let them make their own choices. I never want anyone picking up my habits, good or bad.[/QUOTE]

Clean39T
06-07-2020, 10:41 AM

jlwdm
06-07-2020, 03:53 PM
And here I thought that it was Phil Liggett content.

Who wouldn't?

Jeff