PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your parts (groups)?

Mike V
06-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Right know I put parts in baggies and in a box. I was wondering if there might be a better method? Let's see your parts storage.

sg8357
06-06-2020, 02:16 PM
It depends on how many parts you have to store........
Note Suntour & Simplex on the left, Campagnolo on the other left.

jtbadge
06-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Little parts - screws/bolts, BBs, clamps, adapters, ferrules, etc in one of these craft totes with reconfigurable dividers. Makes builds really easy as everything has its own place and can be seen at once.

Bigger stuff like drivetrain/cockpit usually gets wrapped up in baggies or bubble wrap and put in bigger boxes/bins.

https://images.containerstore.com/catalogimages/275812/10067830MediumOpenAccessoryToteV4_60.jpg?width=120 0&height=1200&align=center

thirdgenbird
06-06-2020, 02:38 PM
I’m with jtbadge.

I’ve got a tackle box for small hardware and bits.

I’ve got one spare group in a box organized/protected with bubble wrap and baggies.

Extra consumables and random parts are organized in a second box that’s not quite as padded because I access it much more often. The box above could be taped closed and shipped as-is.

Parts listed for sale are in a third box that sets in sight to help motivate me to get them sold. Everything else is in a closet that has been designated for bicycle stuff. Shoes, helmets, tools, stand, and a rug I roll out when doing major work.

Alaska Mike
06-06-2020, 02:50 PM
As I built up several bikes over the years, I kept the parts boxes. As I would replace a part, I’d throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner and box it up. At any given moment, I have 2-3 full group sets cleaned and boxed on the shelf. Mostly SRAM ten speed Red/Force with some other bits, so I can support the bikes I will never upgrade.

Takes up more space than it should, so I am interested in what other people are doing.

Tickdoc
06-06-2020, 03:05 PM
It depends on how many parts you have to store........
Note Suntour & Simplex on the left, Campagnolo on the other left.

Indiana Jones?

I put mine in these black cardboard boxes that are big enough for a crank, or a large shoe/boot box.

phoenix
06-06-2020, 03:54 PM
I use plastic compartmentalized organizers for the small stuff, nuts, bolts, ferrules, cable ends, washers, shims, valve extenders etc...

Group stuff usually gets it’s own boxes. Cranks usually are hung on the wall in my shop. In general, parts get wrapped in something and stored in a box. Wheels are hung or put anywhere that they will not get banged around.