PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti Duende or Marcelo?

T-Crush
06-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Life is getting back to normal, kids finishing up college, more time to ride and a bit more room in the bike budget. Plus I turn the big Six-Oh in a couple of months. So two questions for this knowledgeable crowd.

I'm not fast, don't produce huge power, but I am a clydesdale. I plan to ride more centuries before I hang up my Sidis, but will likely never line up at a crit/road race again. I have owned, and loved, two Marcelos in my life but have been looking at the Duende as a perhaps better alternative. Anyone ridden both and care to share, especially in the larger sizes?

Second, looking at the geometry chart it seems I could make either a 60 or 61 work. The top tube difference is .5cm, but the 61 has .5 degree slacker angle. My rusty geometry skills tell me that if my seat is floating in space in the "right" spot relative to the bottom bracket, those two differences seem to cancel each other out. My Marcelos were both 60s and ten years apart, and worked well but the saddles were pushed back on setback seatposts. Thinking the 61 could be better. And the headtube length is not a concern (I'm turning 60, remember?).

Any and all thoughts welcome, and thanks!

tv_vt
06-06-2020, 02:32 PM
This is like one of life's unanswerable questions, like a koan. There is no right answer, there is no wrong answer, young Jedi.

But some will still say, neither, get a Responsorium. ;)

jm714
06-06-2020, 04:29 PM
I asked Dario a similar question. Told him I was 220 a and just liked to ride all day. He said:

A mxxxxxxo is the correct choice.
Have a great day
Dario

FlashUNC
06-06-2020, 04:33 PM
This is like one of life's unanswerable questions, like a koan. There is no right answer, there is no wrong answer, young Jedi.

But some will still say, neither, get a Responsorium. ;)

I would be one of those. Responsorium.

tbike4
06-06-2020, 06:12 PM
This is a timely thread. I have 3 steel road bikes that are redundant so 2 should go and make way for something special. I have never ridden a Peg. I weigh 170 and like the OP do not put out a lot of watts but go fast for my age and like to do long rides. From what I read here: https://www.lakeside-bikes.com/about/choosing-a-pegoretti-pg1032.htm a Duende is what I need if a Respo and Marcelo are stiffer than the Duende. So, perhaps OP also needs a Duende. There, easy decision using little logic.

OtayBW
06-06-2020, 08:21 PM
This is a timely thread. I have 3 steel road bikes that are redundant so 2 should go and make way for something special. I have never ridden a Peg. I weigh 170 and like the OP do not put out a lot of watts but go fast for my age and like to do long rides. From what I read here: https://www.lakeside-bikes.com/about/choosing-a-pegoretti-pg1032.htm a Duende is what I need if a Respo and Marcelo are stiffer than the Duende. So, perhaps OP also needs a Duende. There, easy decision using little logic.
Responsorium is definitely a century bike - no problem. The benefit (to me, at your same weight) is quicker power transfer at the bottom bracket and rear triangle for quicker starts and more snappy climbing. That's the way it feels to ME, so if this makes no sense to anyone, so be it. But you don't lose any of the comfort factor on long rides, so if the Respo is on the table, I would not discount it....GL

msriddle
06-06-2020, 08:24 PM
IMO Duende.

I’m 55 and just sold my MXXXXXO after 5 years. Currently looking for a Duende but will likely order a new one from the team in Verona.

The M is a beast of a frame. The Duende will be a much, much better bike to navigate thru your 60s and beyond.

climbgdh
06-06-2020, 08:58 PM
I haven’t ridden a Marcelo but I’ve owned a Duende for 8 years now..... bought used in Vancouver at that time. It was essentially new though with only 700k on it according to previous owner. It’s an amazing bike and I’m certainly not worthy of it but I absolutely love it. I’m 55 YO, reasonably fast (for a slow guy), hover mostly around 200#. It has just the right amount of stiffness for me, handles extremely well, and even on rough roads gives an incredible ride. I’ve had Nemesis wheels with Veloflex Arneberg tubies on it mostly and it is truly a magic carpet ride. Highly recommended!!! I do want to own another Peg at some point but am tremendously happy with the Dueude. Many many centuries on it. Plus a few 250km days. Very comfortable. Mine is standard geo 60cm (maybe 61.... not sure). Good luck. Peg’s are amazing bikes.

GPrince
06-06-2020, 09:03 PM
Never ridden a Marcello but I have a Duende. It's a lovely bike and very comfortable. It's also quite versatile. I can squeeze 35's on it and ride gravel, or put 28/32 Conti's and do road. But I also like my Seven Evergreen and my Legend so there is no right answer. At the new price, there are lot of options (I bought my used). But it always draws looks.

choke
06-06-2020, 09:23 PM
From https://dariopegoretti.com/product/responsorium/ : Coupled with its thinner walls and more extensive butting, the Responsorium affords a touch more vertical compliance than our other frames, making it a great choice for very long days in the saddle.

choke
06-06-2020, 09:24 PM
Never ridden a Marcello but I have a Duende. It's a lovely bike and very comfortable. It's also quite versatile. I can squeeze 35's on it and ride gravel, or put 28/32 Conti's and do road. But I also like my Seven Evergreen and my Legend so there is no right answer. At the new price, there are lot of options (I bought my used). But it always draws looks.35s on a Peg? I'd love to see a pic of that.

prototoast
06-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Do any of these models fit 28 tires?

choke
06-06-2020, 09:36 PM
Do any of these models fit 28 tires?Like many other bikes I think it's on an individual basis. They weren't designed for 28s so they will fit on some and not others, depending on where the brake bridge is located. My Responsorium fit most 28s that I've tried though there was at least one model that was too tall.

I believe that the Falz V2 was designed to fit a 28.

RedRider
06-07-2020, 06:40 AM
Get a new Pegoretti Round...

bob heinatz
06-07-2020, 11:25 AM
Duende! I owned one for about 5 years and it was a terrific bike for all around riding. I don't race and it was always a comfortable riding bike. There is also a quote from Dario that went something like "unless you race the Duende is what he recommends for most riders".

pjbaz
06-08-2020, 08:44 AM
I have both a 2011 Duende and 2014 Mxxxxxo and they're set up almost the same - other than a few tweaks (crank length experiment ...) that will be rectified soon lol.

I don't have as many miles on the Duende but still have 700 or so and can say while I do like it, I find myself gravitating toward the Mxxxxxo more. To me (165# and I like to climb) the Mxxxxxo is more comfortable all around, which is surprising in some ways- that could be the wheel differences, idk.

If I was heavier I would certainly go toward the Mxxxxxo, but then again I go toward that bike more now and I'm only 165 lol

tbike4
06-08-2020, 01:34 PM
I have both a 2011 Duende and 2014 Mxxxxxo and they're set up almost the same - other than a few tweaks (crank length experiment ...) that will be rectified soon lol.

I don't have as many miles on the Duende but still have 700 or so and can say while I do like it, I find myself gravitating toward the Mxxxxxo more. To me (165# and I like to climb) the Mxxxxxo is more comfortable all around, which is surprising in some ways- that could be the wheel differences, idk.

If I was heavier I would certainly go toward the Mxxxxxo, but then again I go toward that bike more now and I'm only 165 lol

Maybe you are a 165# brute that puts out 1200 watts. Like the guy that rode with our group 2 weeks ago, looked to be about 5'9" or so and 165# range. Only way I could keep close to him was drafting into a 15 mph headwind and I'm not slow but still not worthy of a Mxxxxxo.

pjbaz
06-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Maybe you are a 165# brute that puts out 1200 watts. Like the guy that rode with our group 2 weeks ago, looked to be about 5'9" or so and 165# range. Only way I could keep close to him was drafting into a 15 mph headwind and I'm not slow but still not worthy of a Mxxxxxo.

I have no idea how many watts I put out but I can guarantee it isn't 1200 LOL

s4life
09-29-2020, 01:55 AM
If you love climbing go for the Marcelo

pdmtong
09-29-2020, 10:27 AM
The duende never gets the props because it’s the cheapest frame. But that’s the issue. Each frame is different and price does not reflect a hierarchy

Your 60-61 dilemma is similar to the 54-55-56 sizing.

I ride a stock eTT 56.0 frame

A peg 54 slammed with a 120 is my perfect fit

I bought a 55 so I can age with it

The 56 headtube is way too tall

So yes figure out which one best centers the saddle clamp on the rails and gives you the bar drop/spacer flexibility you want. The eTT you can handle with stem length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk