PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever gotten warranty replacement on a tire?

Spaghetti Legs
06-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Wondering if I should pursue one for this Conti Gatorskin. This is on my former commuter, now ride around town bike. I put on a new set a couple months ago and they have probably 50 miles or less on them. Looks like a bead failure to me. I rode about 5 miles with my son 2 days ago, tires were a little low then (probably about 70) so pumped them up to 85-90 psi before setting out for downtown today. If they were new mounted I’d wonder if they weren’t seated properly and the fault was mine, but I don’t think so.

unterhausen
06-06-2020, 12:52 PM
I have, on a maxxis that had an obvious bump built in. I should have gotten a Bontrager replaced for a bead failure, but I didn't ask. My LBS has someone that manages all their warranty, and probably sucks it up without telling me if they don't get compensated by the manufacturer. One more reason I buy them beer.

R3awak3n
06-06-2020, 12:53 PM
no but if those are 23s I have 2 here that Clean39T just sent me with a set of wheels. I am not going to ever use them so if you want them I can do the warranty and send you 2 gatorskins in great shape for the cost of shipping :)

Spaghetti Legs
06-06-2020, 01:00 PM
no but if those are 23s I have 2 here that Clean39T just sent me with a set of wheels. I am not going to ever use them so if you want them I can do the warranty and send you 2 gatorskins in great shape for the cost of shipping :)

Now that’s a warranty! Deal! I’ll send you a PM. They are 23’s. I just tried to put on a 28,but really 26, Gravel King and it is too big for the Specialized Langster. I had saved one of the old Gatorskins that wasn’t as worn and put it on but I’m not real confident in it.

AngryScientist
06-06-2020, 01:11 PM
oh, that's just a continental design feature. they do that.

justaute
06-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Yup...Panaracer. Fantastic customer service.

GimmeSerotta
06-06-2020, 01:25 PM
I've also warrantied faulty Panaracer tires with ease. Never had luck with Conti.

Spdntrxi
06-06-2020, 01:30 PM
yes many years ago I had a GP4000S blow up spontaneously .. it had maybe 10 miles on it.

fmradio516
06-06-2020, 03:49 PM
I have with brand new unridden Panaracers that both tires came with a bubble in the sidewall.

Also with a GP5000 recently where a new tire had fraying sidewalls after about 30 miles. After putting years of miles on the GP4ks, i was very skeptical when i saw this at 30 miles, but the customer service rep assured me that the 5ks are stronger than the 4ks.... we'll see

batman1425
06-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Not on a Conti, but I had a pair of then clement (now Donnelly) MSO tubeless tires that had a pretty bad wobble in the casing. Looked like a tubular that was glued on crooked. Emailed them after mounting and they said they were have some reports of batch consistency issues with the casings. They told me my wobbly ones were perfectly safe to ride but would be sending a pair of replacements ASAP. New tires arrived in a few days. They told me to keep the originals as spares and apologized for the inconvenience. Nice folks, happy customer, and still riding Donnelly tires.

robt57
06-06-2020, 04:00 PM
WTB nano 40s. Took days, flip city, and extra sealant to get the sides to seal up. Took them off for something else and the inner coatings were bubbled and blotchy.

I had usually use stans always, but decided to use WTB sealant I bought with them after ready the tubeless VS ready thing.

They replaced them in an instant and even mailed me the new ones before I even sent back the problem tires.

I actually left the new ones on the wall for a long while before I felt like doing it again but the second pair is/was fine. I am not even that nuts about them either..

skijoring
06-06-2020, 04:05 PM
When your tires were low, might a brake pad have abraded that area near the bead ? One possible cause.

jemoryl
06-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Continental sent me a couple GP4000s replacements after some newish tires developed small slits around the bead, pinching the tube and causing flats. Filed a complaint on the website, not expecting much, and they got back to me, asking for some photos and numbers off the tires. Provided replacements after a month or so.

Spaghetti Legs
06-06-2020, 08:40 PM
When your tires were low, might a brake pad have abraded that area near the bead ? One possible cause.

I doubt it, pretty uneventful ride, no noises, etc. Only thing out of the ordinary was today, about 3 revolutions of a shuddering sound about 1/4 mile into my ride, then POP! like a gunshot.

spoonrobot
06-06-2020, 08:42 PM
oh, that's just a continental design feature. they do that.

I've had this exact thing happen to 3 Continental tires. I don't buy them anymore.

GregL
06-06-2020, 09:03 PM
Our forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect.com warrantied a Panaracer Pasela that had a large hump when inflated. I have been a loyal customer ever since!

Greg

kppolich
06-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Conti support @ www.highwaytwo.com will help you out.

Good customer service from my experience with Conti replacing a few GP4000SII's a few years ago.