PDA

View Full Version : Stem Length

jckid
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
My Moots Rigormootis finally arrived, and I am ready to start building it up. Since I now have the fork (Fox F80RL) and a King headset on the way, I need to get a stem. I'm pretty sure I will need either a 9CM or a 10CM stem. I figure whichever one I pick will probably be wrong! It would be nice, of course, to get it right the first time and only have to buy one stem.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not, but here goes:

My road bike has a 52CM TT, 9CM Stem, Salsa Poco Bars w/7CM reach, and straight seapost.

The mountain bike has:
55CM TT and straight seatpost

Seat tube angles on the two bikes are very close--actually I think they're both 73.5 degrees. Now I know that road bike fit does not transfer to mountain bike fit, but I'm thinking that some of you that ride both road and mountain might be able to give me some insight. Would I be better off getting the shorter stem to start, or the longer one? Any suggestions?

Dan Le foot
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
My Moots Rigormootis finally arrived, and I am ready to start building it up. Since I now have the fork (Fox F80RL) and a King headset on the way, I need to get a stem. I'm pretty sure I will need either a 9CM or a 10CM stem. I figure whichever one I pick will probably be wrong! It would be nice, of course, to get it right the first time and only have to buy one stem.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this or not, but here goes:

My road bike has a 52CM TT, 9CM Stem, Salsa Poco Bars w/7CM reach, and straight seapost.

The mountain bike has:
55CM TT and straight seatpost

Seat tube angles on the two bikes are very close--actually I think they're both 73.5 degrees. Now I know that road bike fit does not transfer to mountain bike fit, but I'm thinking that some of you that ride both road and mountain might be able to give me some insight. Would I be better off getting the shorter stem to start, or the longer one? Any suggestions?
Many LBS have a number of used stems around the shop for test rides. Ask to borrow a 9 and a 10 stem. Try em out. Buy the size that feels the better... from the LBS of course.
Good luck.
Dan