PDA

View Full Version : The Pros Closet to Canada?

d_douglas
06-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Hello all,

I am considering buying a frame from the Pros Closet but not sure how $$$ it would be to ship to Canada. Has anyone done it? Was it via BikeFlights?

It’s a cool frame - just have to make sure it’s worthwhile ....

oldpotatoe
06-06-2020, 06:38 AM
Hello all,

I am considering buying a frame from the Pros Closet but not sure how $$$ it would be to ship to Canada. Has anyone done it? Was it via BikeFlights?

It’s a cool frame - just have to make sure it’s worthwhile ....
Currently, we ship domestically to the 50 United States and do not offer international shipping.
https://support.theproscloset.com/article/15-international-shipping

Better call them...

[email]rideguides@theproscloset.com[/email

But I know a bunch there, I'll email them.

d_douglas
06-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Better call them...

But I know a bunch there, I'll email them.

Thanks Peter. Never thought to look at the policy, as I assumed that they shipped here and that it was expensive. Apparently they don’t ship anywhere outside of the USA :(

Spaghetti Legs
06-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Thanks Peter. Never thought to look at the policy, as I assumed that they shipped here and that it was expensive. Apparently they don’t ship anywhere outside of the USA :(

Maybe you could get it shipped to Port Angeles or thereabouts. PNW facilitator?

haruharu
06-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Alternative is to also ship to a PO Box and drive across the border. Of course this only works if you live close to the border.

d_douglas
06-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Ahhh, the border is closed! Plus, I live on an Island, so while I am very close to the border, I would need to take a half day and Spend $200 to get to any pickup point. Not gonna work :(

ericssonboi
06-06-2020, 01:43 PM
Ive bought off Pros via ebay. All fees as typically calculated including customs charges. From what I recall, they typically ship via USPS.

ryker
06-06-2020, 01:53 PM
http://www.seawings.ca/

You can ship to these guys in WA and they will bring it to the airport for you.

d_douglas
06-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Ahhh, you guys are always the problem solvers - thanks!

ghcs
06-06-2020, 05:58 PM
I spotted a bike with a Pro's Closet sticker on it & asked the guy if he had it shipped to Buffalo (I had been checking their site daily around that time). He said no, he had it shipped to Toronto, no problems.

That was last summer though, so yrmv.

adub
06-06-2020, 06:07 PM
If it's listed in their eBay store they will ship to Canada if you buy it on there. this was the case 6 months ago.

oldpotatoe
06-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Just got an email from the main shipping guy...below
Yes we can ship to Canada. Frame is approx $150, I would need to confirm once I get the destination postal code. The recipient is responsible for any duties / taxes for importing the shipment

Dino Suegiù
06-07-2020, 01:43 PM
Just got an email from the main shipping guy...below.

Yes we can ship to Canada. Frame is approx $150, I would need to confirm once I get the destination postal code. The recipient is responsible for any duties / taxes for importing the shipment.

The bolded part needs to really be taken into account.

I recently sold/shipped a set of brakes to CAN from USA, so the package was small. The buyer/recipient normally does what someone here suggested: has the package shipped to a USA town near Ottawa, collects the package in the USA, then drives back home, a 90-minute r/t. But, of course the border is closed now so that option was out.

USPS quoted ~$40 for a fully insured (US $150 value) package and UPS $32, so I shipped via UPS hoping to save the buyer the $8. That was a big mistake. The package was supposed to be delivered last week, but is still somewhere in CAN after having cleared customs 6-7 days ago, one presumes because of Covid delays...fair enough.

However, what I knew nothing about was: not only the CAN Customs fees might apply (used brakes, described as such, total value US $150, so no or minimal customs fees, that part we all know) BUT ALSO that once the package cleared customs only then did UPS charge the buyer extra "brokerage fees" of ~US $75!!! That is bs, sleazy, absurd, really price-gouging, and while the buyer has been extremely kind about it (and paid the fee immediately, saying "it's the way things go in USA-CAN shipments with UPS...") I feel terribly about it. It is not a fair fee.

So, be very wary of shipper "brokerage" or other fees; on a large item such as an entire bicycle or even a frameset they could be quite substantial if a pair of used rim brakes in a small box was charged at US $75.

ntb1001
06-07-2020, 01:59 PM
The bolded part needs to really be taken into account.

I recently sold/shipped a set of brakes to CAN from USA, so the package was small. The buyer/recipient normally does what someone here suggested: has the package shipped to a USA town near Ottawa, collects the package in the USA, then drives back home, a 90-minute r/t. But, of course the border is closed now so that option was out.

USPS quoted ~$40 for a fully insured (US $150 value) package and UPS $32, so I shipped via UPS hoping to save the buyer the $8. That was a big mistake. The package was supposed to be delivered last week, but is still somewhere in CAN after having cleared customs 6-7 days ago, one presumes because of Covid delays...fair enough.

However, what I knew nothing about was: not only the CAN Customs fees might apply (used brakes, described as such, total value US $150, so no or minimal customs fees, that part we all know) BUT ALSO that once the package cleared customs only then did UPS charge the buyer extra "brokerage fees" of ~US $75!!! That is bs, sleazy, absurd, really price-gouging, and while the buyer has been extremely kind about it (and paid the fee immediately, saying "it's the way things go in USA-CAN shipments with UPS...") I feel terribly about it. It is not a fair fee.

So, be very wary of shipper "brokerage" or other fees; on a large item such as an entire bicycle or even a frameset they could be quite substantial if a pair of used rim brakes in a small box was charged at US $75.

This is why I never have anything shipped here to Canada by UPS if I can help it.
Also, always ship low value used bike parts $15 to avoid customs...skip in insured value as well. As long as you have tracking you’re able to trace package.
I’ve had a few things come UPS without stupid brokerage fees, but it happens every once in a while...worst for me was a $75 brokerage fee for a $7.00 camera cable from Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dino Suegiù
06-07-2020, 02:05 PM
This is why I never have anything shipped here to Canada by UPS if I can help it.
Also, always ship low value used bike parts $15 to avoid customs...skip in insured value as well. As long as you have tracking you’re able to trace package.
I’ve had a few things come UPS without stupid brokerage fees, but it happens every once in a while...worst for me was a $75 brokerage fee for a $7.00 camera cable from Chicago.

Yes, a harsh lesson (on my part, the buyer has been extremely gracious about it). I feel awful about it, don't sell much, had never heard of these post-fact applied "brokerage fees". It feels very scammy, and only ensures I will not use UPS to Canada, etc. ever again. $75 for a box the size of two cans of soup, and four times lighter even.... :rolleyes:

m_sasso
06-07-2020, 03:39 PM
There is a method to get around UPS brokerage fees, complicated and you need to be located close to the actual customs facility. In our case it was the Vancouver BC, airport. I went through the process previously with my past significant other who is an educator and purchased a large number of books from the US for use in her university teaching. The books should have been duty free which UPS got wrong, also they were attempting to charge a unreasonable amount in brokerage fees. What we did is refuse shipment and then go directly to US/Canada customs and pick up the books directly from them. No duty and very small customs handling fee.