PDA

View Full Version : NAHBS 2020- Canceled, on for Q3 in 2021

Velocipede
06-05-2020, 01:56 PM
June 5, 2020

To the NAHBS community,

I hope this email finds you well amidst these challenging and uncertain times.

As you’re well aware, we originally rescheduled NAHBS 2020 from March 15-17 to August 21-23, a change I felt optimistic about. During the past months, I've been watching intently how the COVID-19 pandemic is playing out. And I’ve continued to be in close contact with a sampling of exhibitors, sponsors, trade show consultants, show staff, and our contacts at the Convention Center in Dallas.

While Texas is currently in Phase 3 of its “reopening” plan, COVID-19 cases in Dallas are still on the rise. And unfortunately, the Governor hasn't made any plan to allow large groups and events to take place. With NAHBS scheduled to take place in less than three months - and based on what we currently know and predictions for the summer -- we’re making the difficult decision to cancel NAHBS 2020 and focus our efforts on 2021.

Based on the many exhibitors I’ve spoken to, no one wants to be in a large crowd, primarily indoors, this summer. I’ve received similar feedback from the local cycling community in TX. I’m certain that even if we held the show this August, attendance would be extremely low -- which none of us want. Throw in the current difficulties of international travel and limited domestic travel, and the challenges of putting on a successful show this summer are insurmountable.

After much consideration and in talking closely with many exhibitors and partners about potential venues and dates for next year’s show, we took note. NAHBS 2021 will be held in the third quarter, and we’re considering other cities for the show.

Why Q3? Being in the 3rd quarter has huge advantages, the highlights being: 1) It offers a better opportunity for more framebuilders to exhibit because they aren't under the gun for spring deliveries; and 2) It puts us in the old Interbike timeframe that many of us had become accustomed to, during a time when there are no other shows domestically in the USA.

As of now, here are the options we’re considering:

Chicago, IL // Sep 9 - 12 2021
Hartford, CT // Sep 29 - Oct 3, 2021
Dallas, TX // Sep 16 - 19, 2021
Indianapolis, IN // (awaiting dates)

Next week, we’ll be sending out a survey to get feedback from each and every one of you so we lock in the best location & dates for 2021.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted each and every one of us in ways we never could have never anticipated. I look forward to working with each of you in the months and years ahead, and coming back stronger than before. Thank you for your time, support, and dedication to the craft. And please, stay safe and healthy.

Sincerely,
Don Walker

NAHBS, Founder & President

Personally, I LOVE the idea of a September Chicago show. 700+ miles of bike lanes and trails. Gorgeous riding areas. Tons of hotels and great venue sites.

Your thoughts?

madsciencenow
06-05-2020, 01:59 PM
I live around Chicago and love the idea as well!!

Second pic is Indianapolis because I could drive and get there easy. I also used to live there so I could ride with old friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsinill
06-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Well, obvious and easy pick for me ;)

Hawker
06-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Sorry you have to cancel but a reasonable decision. Any location works for me except Hartford. All the best!

Coffee Rider
06-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping for Chicago since I've never spent any time there and this would be a great excuse to go.

sw3759
06-05-2020, 03:31 PM
well f me..that sucks that the 1 year they have it so close that it gets cancelled and moved..hopfully it will stay in big D :mad:

David Kirk
06-05-2020, 03:37 PM
As a potential exhibitor I certainly like the 3rd quarter show date MUCH better. Travel in mid winter is so iffy that it can be super stressful to make plans.

Good job Don Walker - my hat's off to you and the crew.

dave

roguedog
06-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the post. Was just wondering status of this the other day as I look into the summer months. Bummer but sounds like a good decision to keep everyone safe.

Prob. Won't go out to CT or Indy but might be interested in Chicago. Never been outside of O'hare.

FlashUNC
06-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the post. Was just wondering status of this the other day as I look into the summer months. Bummer but sounds like a good decision to keep everyone safe.

Prob. Won't go out to CT or Indy but might be interested in Chicago. Never been outside of O'hare.

Chicago is a truly great city.

Weather is a war crime, but the city itself is fantastic.

Velocipede
06-05-2020, 09:23 PM
I am absolutely fine with Don canceling for this year and pushing it to Q3. It actually makes things so much better time wise for riding in the city it's held. Gives people plenty of time to plan things out. It gives exhibitors more time to make money to attend the show. And if you are building bikes for clients, they will have the chance to attend and ride at the host city. I'm talking to my clients about a Client Ride So everyone can get together and enjoy their new bikes. I really like the change.

nortx-Dave
06-06-2020, 08:49 AM
well f me..that sucks that the 1 year they have it so close that it gets cancelled and moved..hopfully it will stay in big D :mad:

I understand the cancellation and totally agree.

But.....I live in North Texas about 100 miles west of Dallas. This was going to be my very first NAHBS. I was disappointed when it was cancelled...but if it's moved it will be a HUGE disappointment. The chance to see bikes and meet builders that I've only ever read about was exciting to say the least. I've never seen a Peg, or Kirk, or any of a number of custom bikes in person....this was going to be my chance.

Velocipede
06-06-2020, 09:09 AM

I understand the cancellation and totally agree.

But.....I live in North Texas about 100 miles west of Dallas. This was going to be my very first NAHBS. I was disappointed when it was cancelled...but if it's moved it will be a HUGE disappointment. The chance to see bikes and meet builders that I've only ever read about was exciting to say the least. I've never seen a Peg, or Kirk, or any of a number of custom bikes in person....this was going to be my chance.

I spoke to Don Yesterday before the announcement. I was fine with Dallas. Even with the rescheduled dates in 2020. I didn't ask him if a Q3 Dallas date was an option. It could be. It would also be incredibly hot during that time and that could lead to other choices. I'm glad Don made the right call given all the uncertainty and the cases rising again. It could be a nightmare with everyone in one place.

Another year to get a handle on things would help everyone. And with a fall date, again, help the exhibitors. It's tough to plan everything out. To get a place to hold it size wise, where everyone is happy. The costs. Getting bikes and displays ready. Airfare, shipping. It's tough and Don has made it look easy to the tune of 15 NAHBS events. So well done to him.

I will attend wherever it is. BUT I would love to see it in Chicago(technically Schaumburg where it'd be held).

ERK55
06-06-2020, 12:07 PM
Schaumburg, Illinois looks to be about 26 miles outside of Chicago. Not so sure that Schaumburg itself would be a destination for a mini-vacation. Chicago city, yes.
At every NAHBS I’ved attended (Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Louisville, Hartford, Sacramento) the guest hotel was downtown within walking distance of the exhibition hall. You got the best of the city and the bike show within convenient reach.
Is there good public transportation between Schaumburg and Chicago?

Velocipede
06-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Schaumburg, Illinois looks to be about 26 miles outside of Chicago. Not so sure that Schaumburg itself would be a destination for a mini-vacation. Chicago city, yes.
At every NAHBS I’ved attended (Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Louisville, Hartford, Sacramento) the guest hotel was downtown within walking distance of the exhibition hall. You got the best of the city and the bike show within convenient reach.
Is there good public transportation between Schaumburg and Chicago?

Schaumburg does have METRA service from Union Station(Chicago). Every city does really. Illinois is massively connected by METRA. And you can bring bikes on it.

I agree it's a bit out of the city, but it does have a bunch going for it. Better venue space, lots of hotels and they'd be much cheaper. Lego Land, Ikea, beer and wine fest in September, Taste of Schaumburg in September(a small version of the Taste of Chicago), Medieval Times, the sculpture garden, the wildlife preserve has like 10 miles of bike trail in it. The have a nice indoor water park too. It's a nice place. I've been there with my family and we did some of the things I listed including the Lego Land.

I like the Chicago idea cause it's Chicago. Yeah, Schaumburg. But there are a bunch of bike companies in the midwest. And Chicago doesn't just do bike month, they do bike summer. There is a cycling event every single day from May till the end of September. And that includes the suburbs. You also have the Northbrook Velodrome about 30 minutes away. I think there are a bunch of great cities around the Chicagoland area to pick. But Schaumburg was one listed. Who knows the final location but I think there are pluses for all of them.