PDA

View Full Version : OT: KTM 890 Duke R vs Triumph Street Triple R

Tony
06-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Sold my Suzuki sv650 and now in the process of buying the Duke or the Street Triple. Both 2020 models and both come in at $13000 out the door. These two bike have great reviews, I can't seem to make up my mind.
Those into motorcycles which one the these two would you pick?
Thanks in advance.

benb
06-04-2020, 03:27 PM
It's been a long time but I had an SV650 (very first gen) and I've rode the Speed Triple.

There are like 4 different Dukes and there are at least 2 speed triples, which engine sizes are you looking at?

The Speed Triple had/has ridiculous bottom end torque.. the 1050 triple felt like just about the most bottomless/seamless/smooth low end torque of anything I had ever ridden. The triple is really cool & unique.

Personally a bunch of these bigger ones seem like they probably would be enough heavier to not be quite as fun as the SV650.

I never thought the Triumphs had great build quality compared to the Japanese bikes or Italian bikes... KTM is probably similar? But none of it's necessarily a problem. The flipside of the build quality on the early triumphs was they seemed simple & easy to work on too.. my roommate had two triumphs and I'd worked on them with him.

Make sure you go sit on them.. no idea how tall you are, the SV650 was always small for me. (I'm 6'1") I rode mine from Boston to the VA/NC border in one day once.. not ideal.

The KTM & Triumph a lot bigger and roomier and likely to be more comfortable but they're all still naked and won't be too great on the highway.

thirdgenbird
06-04-2020, 04:05 PM
I’ve heard quite a bit of jokes and complaints about KTM quality. I haven’t owned either model, but I have owned a Triumph and know other owners and they have all been pretty trouble free.

I would buy the Triumph but I would want my friend to buy the KTM so I could try it :)

If you need a helmet, I’ve got a basically new Race Star not getting used. It’s great, but I’m currently without a motorcycle and it could be a while.

pooneej
06-04-2020, 04:53 PM
I had a Triumph Daytona a while ago when they had 955cc triples. It was a pretty smooth bike but had some oil leaks. It didn't stop me from considering a Tiger last year. But I got a multistrada enduro pro instead.

I probably won't get a second moto but I kicked around idea of a 1290 Duke R.

Go ride them both if you have time.

4151zero
06-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Triumph for the sound of a screaming 3, or KTM for torque for days... hard to decide. KTM is overbuilt in the wrong places, and under built in others

Neither brand has the longevity and care free maintenance schedules of the Rising Sun brands, but both have plenty of soul and passion.

Which one suits the roads you frequent?

old_fat_and_slow
06-04-2020, 05:08 PM
I bought a Yamaha FZ-09 triple a couple of years ago and have been very happy with my decision. You might want to throw that in the mix too or an FZ-1 if you're open to Japanese bike options.

scopes
06-04-2020, 05:19 PM
I had a an '11 Street Triple R, it was a really great bike.

The triple makes for nice power throughout, sounds great, and goes when you crack the throttle.

No experience with the Duke but I always felt they looked like a Deceptacon, and preferred the subtlety of the Triumph.

I enjoyed the bike for the 4 years I had it and replaced it with a Ducati Multistrada 1200 for a better touring setup.

If my riding stayed the same I'd have no reason not to be on the Triumph still.

Kyle h
06-04-2020, 05:43 PM
I had an '09 Street Triple R in the matte orange colorway that will forever hold a place in my heart. Everything about that bike was fantastic from the looks, to the sound, to the rideability, and all around excellent bike. Maybe not as car free of ownership as the Japanese counterparts but by no means was it excessive or expensive. I debated hard over buying one of the newer STRs but have held off so far.

NHAero
06-04-2020, 05:47 PM
I had an early SV650 after a Honda Hawk GT and I absolutely loved that bike, so if you loved yours, ride the two bikes you're considering and pick the one that is most like the SV :)

I did a bunch of work on the suspension on the SV, such a great handling bike. But I found myself doing stupid stuff on it, so I sold it and haven't had a moto since. I do occasionally look longingly when I see a great bike go by, but having a moto would cut into my cycling time!

IJWS
06-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Ducati 797 or 821 not an option :( Then the Duke.

Ken Robb
06-04-2020, 06:42 PM
How do the maintenance schedules/expenses compare? Which dealer do you prefer?

rkhatibi
06-04-2020, 06:57 PM
I bought a Yamaha FZ-09 triple a couple of years ago and have been very happy with my decision. You might want to throw that in the mix too or an FZ-1 if you're open to Japanese bike options.

fz09, now mt-09 (same platform for xsr900 and Tracer 900 too), is really good. You'll want the suspension done if you're 85kg and up or want to ride at a track pace. Really one of the best deals in motorcycles at the moment.

That said would lean towards Street Triple R as being ready to go suspension wise and easier to live with daily than the KTM.

mcteague
06-05-2020, 06:27 AM
I had a 2011 Street Triple for 5 years and never had any issues other than some loose hose clamps. The KTM always interested me but dealers are few and test rides were not offered. That, plus their sketchy rep for reliability put me off. I currently have a 2016 BMW S1000R. It is one of the few upgrades to the Street Triple. If I were buying today I would want to test the new Triumph Speed Twin as well, love the look of that bike. You should also check out the new BMW F900R and XR. For Beemers the prices are not bad.

Tim

PaMtbRider
06-05-2020, 07:12 AM
If you haven't seen it yet here is a comparison of the two bikes.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/the-clash-of-two-super-middleweights-ktm-890-duke-r-vs-triumph-street-triple-rs

Tony
06-05-2020, 08:48 AM
If you haven't seen it yet here is a comparison of the two bikes.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/the-clash-of-two-super-middleweights-ktm-890-duke-r-vs-triumph-street-triple-rs

Enjoyed reading this comparison!! Not sure why I didn't find this review as I've spent hours looking. Here in my area dealers have the street triple RS for $2000 more than the KTM. The R model is the same price however doesn't come with the better brakes and suspension as the Duke. The Duke is looking good!
Thanks.

PaMtbRider
06-05-2020, 11:01 AM
I've had an SV650 and a 675 Street Triple. The Triumph was a really nice bike.
if I was buying a naked bike today I would probably go with the KTM 890

shortribs
06-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Personally, while I can't get past the current Duke's aesthetics, the KTM's DNA will certainly make each and every ride a complete riot. I rode a 675 Street Triple when it first came out, and liked it, though didn't find it punchy enough in gear, at everyday speeds - riding friends rave about it on track days though.

I regret letting go of my 1996 Speed Triple 885, which made an intoxicating noise, even if it was admittedly a handful weight wise!

ridethecliche
06-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Hah.

I too used to have an SV650N and really wanted to get a street triple R!

Ended up ditching the bike, but man those street triples are something else.

RacerJRP
06-05-2020, 05:55 PM
I've got a 2014 Street Triple R. Fantastic bike for everyday riding, canyons, track, etc. Looks, sound, and ride experience are very hard to beat.

Would love to add a 675 Daytona to the fleet for a slightly sharper track toy.

Cannot get behind the looks of the current KTM naked bikes. Never rode one though so cannot speak to that.

IJWS
06-05-2020, 08:57 PM
All these comments about not being able to get past the Duke's looks and no comments on the Street Triples...Special Flavor? hmm. I don't want to dip in the red because I would feel really guilty if the OP missed out on a great bike because I said I couldn't get past its looks. So I'll just say, go ride them both. They are different and you will know which one you prefer. One more time Just for the record, go ride a Monster too. Won't have to worry about getting an ugly bike...

ThasFACE
06-05-2020, 09:32 PM
I vote street triple since it’s what I want. Also, the sound.