PDA

View Full Version : Self tune up reassurance

Jcgill
06-03-2020, 02:39 PM
I just did my first tune up at home for my road bike, it seemed to be pretty easy thanks to YouTube and Shimano online pdf files.....almost too easy

Now I am just second guessing myself if i got it perfect.
I am mechanically inclined, but most of the things i work on are not as infinitely adjustable like barrel adjusters and quick releases.

It shifts thru the rear gears without hesitation or drivetrain clatter, the FD clears the chain in both the small and large chainring and it seems to shift to the big ring better than ever.

How do you know when to stop fiddling with the barrel adjusters and just ride it?

I guess i just need a little confidence boost that it won’t rip the rear derailleur off next time i ride lol!

unterhausen
06-03-2020, 02:53 PM
It should be fine in the highest and lowest gears if you got the cable tension right. My experience is that problems usually show up in intermediate gears if I'm less than perfect with the cable tension or get the cable orientation under the clamp wrong.

papa bless
06-03-2020, 02:54 PM
You're fine. The worst that can happen is you get some clickety-clack in the casette because your barrel adjuster is set too loose or too tight, causing the derailleur to push the chain slightly off center on the cog. You won't rip the derailleur off, and you'll know pretty quickly if it's not adjusted right.

AngryScientist
06-03-2020, 03:07 PM
First of all "tune-up" as a general term does not mean anything standard or specific.

That's a carry over from car mechanics that also does not mean any specific list of services, and was and still is a good way to fleece customers out of meney that they dont know what they are spending on.

Bicycles, mechanical road bicycles in particular are some of the absolute simplest mechanical equipment on the planet. There is really noting complicated about anything on a bicycle.

As long as your bike is shifting fine, you're good. we dont know what you actually did, since "tune up" is a nonspecific piece of terminology, but if it shifts fine and the brakes move freely, you should be good to go.

the one thing you want to make positive is correct is the upper limit screw on the RD is set properly. overshifting into the spokes is probably the biggest hazard, but assuming that was set correctly in the first place, it's probably still fine.

good work. enjoy a beer!

Jcgill
06-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Thanks Angry,

I dropped the chain to the inside of the chainrings as i pulled up to my house after a 35 miler Sunday. In my post ride delirium i put the chain back on and cranked away on the fd barrel adjuster randomly....

This morning with a cooler head I decided to re-check all my fd screws and cable tension.
While pedaling and shifting the bike in the stand this morning I inadvertently grabbed the RD barrel adjuster and turned that thinking it was the FD one!

So i regrouped and:
Set the FD low limit screw a turn tighter to barely clear the chain in the biggest cog/small ring
Checked the FD high limit screw which was good
Adjusted the FD cable tension
And Readjusted the RD cable tension.

The RD cable tension is what scares me the most (probably since i have seen rear derailleurs ripped off in threads here before) i just don’t know when to feel confident that I don’t need to turn the adjuster anymore. I sat there for 20 minutes today pedaling and shifting it trying quarter or half turns back and forth.

oliver1850
06-03-2020, 05:36 PM
I always check RD travel before attaching the cable. Just operate the RD with your hand with the wheel turning slowly. Like AS said, you should be sure that the limit screws prevent excessive travel in either direction but it's especially important to limit travel beyond the large cog. I can't tell you how many wheels I've seen with the drive side spokes barked up from chain contact. As far as final cable tension goes, I will readjust it after some road miles.

Hindmost
06-03-2020, 09:03 PM
The RD cable tension is what scares me the most (probably since i have seen rear derailleurs ripped off in threads here before) i just don’t know when to feel confident that I don’t need to turn the adjuster anymore. I sat there for 20 minutes today pedaling and shifting it trying quarter or half turns back and forth.

As the others have said if the upper and lower limit screws are set correctly there's no risk to the derailleur etc.

Adjusting the barrel adjuster is little bit like tuning a stringed musical instrument. If the adjuster is a little too tight or a little too loose, it won't sound/work quite right.

Do you have a bicycle work stand or way to simply elevate the rear of the bike while you turn the crank by hand and turn the crank? If so turn the crank slowly and smoothly and adjust the barrel adjuster tight and loose. Attempt multiple shifts at various intervals. You will eventually find where too tight and too loose are and where the broad band of works just fine is. Not a lot of magic going on. Just think, old-time guys used to do this very thing with that funny lever on the down tube.

Jcgill
06-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Yes i have a workstand that made it really easy. I guess i was just overthinking the process, especially when you mentioned that old timers did it manually for every gear on downtube shifters!

oldpotatoe
06-04-2020, 06:38 AM
I just did my first tune up at home for my road bike, it seemed to be pretty easy thanks to YouTube and Shimano online pdf files.....almost too easy

Now I am just second guessing myself if i got it perfect.
I am mechanically inclined, but most of the things i work on are not as infinitely adjustable like barrel adjusters and quick releases.

It shifts thru the rear gears without hesitation or drivetrain clatter, the FD clears the chain in both the small and large chainring and it seems to shift to the big ring better than ever.

How do you know when to stop fiddling with the barrel adjusters and just ride it?

I guess i just need a little confidence boost that it won’t rip the rear derailleur off next time i ride lol!

Asked and answered...go ride.

AngryScientist
06-04-2020, 06:46 AM
By the way, there is no shame in asking the question. Good for you for learning a new skill. The more you practice and tinker yourself the more comfortable you will become with the various components.

you are always free and welcome to come here and ask for technical assistance.