PDA

View Full Version : Rear derailleur noise

coreyaugustus
06-02-2020, 08:21 PM
Figure you lot would know. Looking for best practices in regard to tuning the 2015+ Campy Record/Chorus rear derailleurs.

I've been using the Campagnolo Official Youtube video for 2015 mechanical groups. My shifting works excellently. Nice crisp clicks from gear to gear. But I get just the slightest bit of chatter on certain cogs. Both chain (KMC X11SL) & cassette (Chorus 11) have fewer than 500mi and I've got a generous amount of NFS lube on there.

So what works best (derailleur adjuster or barrel adjuster) to keep that rear end quiet? Any particular order of cogs you like to adjust, etc? How do I get it as close to silent as possible?

Ken Robb
06-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Are the noisy cogs at the extremes of the cassette or randomly distributed?

coreyaugustus
06-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Are the noisy cogs at the extremes of the cassette or randomly distributed?

Not distributed to the ends. Cogs 2 and 4 are giving me the grief.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Not distributed to the ends. Cogs 2 and 4 are giving me the grief.

No bent tooth(kinda tough to tell with so much tooth 'prep'), der hanger straight? 2.2mm spacer between 3 and 4th cog?
All the time or every 3-4 pedal revolution? Cog 2 meaning the one under the smallest cog? Can you hear it in the stand..moving the chain slowly thru the rear der?

Sure it's cog/chain noise?

coreyaugustus
06-04-2020, 10:46 AM
No bent tooth(kinda tough to tell with so much tooth 'prep'), der hanger straight? 2.2mm spacer between 3 and 4th cog?
All the time or every 3-4 pedal revolution? Cog 2 meaning the one under the smallest cog? Can you hear it in the stand..moving the chain slowly thru the rear der?

Sure it's cog/chain noise?

Good questions.

So far as I can tell the teeth are straight. Hanger is good. I didn't measure the spacers, but they're where they're supposed to be. I assume they're uniform in thickness, right? My arm pedaling isn't the smoothest but the noise is persistent and not sporadic through the stroke. I refer to the smallest cog as cog 1. Definitely hear it in the stand, not just the street. It's more clear at higher RPM as it becomes more easily distinguished from ambient noise.

oldguy00
06-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Couple suggestions:

1. Swap in a different chain to rule that out
2. Swap in a different cassette to rule out. If you don't have one, try a friends wheel, even if it is shimano, spacing is same
3. Is wheel seated centered in frame?

fmradio516
06-04-2020, 12:19 PM
I have the same problem with my Chorus 11... Brand new KMC X11SL(hmmmm) brand new Record cassette. I think its like the 3rd or 4th cog from the bottom will give me a very consistent ticktickticktick like tension is off even though its not.

I checked my hanger, its fine. Actually bought an abbey JUST because of this problem; didnt trust my Park anymore. Still need to re-do it with the abbey.

It really sucks because my Campy 10 was GREAT! Never any noise or problems shifting ever. to me, at least, campy 11 doesnt work as well as 10, but it could be that im just getting used to it, still.

bart998
06-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Turn the cable adjuster to remove the clatter on cog 4 (closest to center)... shouldn't take much. Then see how that affects the other cogs.

fmradio516
06-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Turn the cable adjuster to remove the clatter on cog 4 (closest to center)... shouldn't take much. Then see how that affects the other cogs.

I tried that and it didnt make any difference until i turned it enough for it to want to shift into the next gear

Columbus SLX
06-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Loose cogs. It's always the middle few that start clacking. Remove & clean cassette, retorque the lockring. I've been running Campy for 20 years, had this happen a few times.

fmradio516
06-04-2020, 01:13 PM
Loose cogs. It's always the middle few that start clacking. Remove & clean cassette, retorque the lockring. I've been running Campy for 20 years, had this happen a few times.

Everything is clean. Maybe ill re-check if my cassette lockring is loose.

Onno
06-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Lubing everything a big as you slide on the cogs and the lockring should help.