PDA

View Full Version : Specialized S-Works Power Saddle with Mirror

dbnm
06-02-2020, 02:47 PM
This looks really cool
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-power-with-mirror/p/184353

Interesting review
https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/ridden-reviewed-specializeds-s-works-power-mirror-saddle-featuring-3d-printed-technology/

eBAUMANN
06-02-2020, 03:12 PM
i wonder how long itll last in the hands of all those folks who flip their bikes upside-down to change a flat :rolleyes:

as a demonstration of technology, its pretty neat, and id be interested to see how they could use 3d printing to (affordably) make foam-replacement materials for their existing range of saddles that have covers over the cush...instead of a $450 cush-only saddle.

id also be curious to see how it behaves when wet, hot, and cold.

d_douglas
06-02-2020, 03:26 PM
That is a nice looking saddle to me

dannymd
06-03-2020, 04:56 AM
Great looking saddle👍

Moyboy
06-03-2020, 08:58 AM
$450 for a saddle that will look like this.

This was in the Gravel Cyclist initial review.

https://cdn-0.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/SpecializedS-WorksPowerMirrorSaddleReview2020-6.jpg

OtayBW
06-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Whatever the initial flaws, I LIKE THE IDEA. Not flat enough for me, and it does appear that there are curing issues, but it's a heckuva cool idea....

bianchi10
06-03-2020, 12:25 PM
I'm really interested, though I wish the shape followed suit to the original power saddle. Not that every person gives a crap about total weight, but im surprised it is significantly more weight that the sworks Power, Mimic and Arc. Nearly 200g for this one. Looks like it would be a very comfortable saddle though.

cgolvin
06-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Likely covered previously, but there is also this Fizik alternative

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/antares-versus-evo-00-adaptive.html

ultraman6970
06-03-2020, 02:07 PM
Insane prices... would have to use paypal credit for 2 years to get one of those saddles, darn.!

charliedid
06-03-2020, 02:40 PM
The tech is def. cool.

The natural progression and best exploitation of the technology would of course be custom made versions for the individual rider. Load the thing with sensors and map out the pressure points etc after riding in real life situations. Maybe 3 times and then based on that data they make your saddle.

dbnm
08-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Just put it on. A bit more squishy than my Pro Stealth Superlight and 50 grams heavier.

S-Works Mirror 190g
Pro Stealth Superlight 140g

Hoping to ride tonight and definitely tomorrow.

Spdntrxi
08-01-2020, 03:37 PM
$450 for a saddle that will look like this.

This was in the Gravel Cyclist initial review.

https://cdn-0.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/SpecializedS-WorksPowerMirrorSaddleReview2020-6.jpg

yeah that dont look so good. I'd be returning that one. Looks almost soggy

dbnm
08-01-2020, 03:42 PM
yes, everyone is going to point that out.

Read the article in which that came from.

Spdntrxi
08-01-2020, 03:48 PM
yes, everyone is going to point that out.

Read the article in which that came from.

all the same... JOM has a fairly popular website and YouTube channel. Specialized would have been smart not to use something that looked like that.

dbnm
08-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Agreed.

Spdntrxi
08-01-2020, 04:02 PM
I have no doubt the tech is good. I have the fizik 00 Evo and like it very much.

dbnm
08-01-2020, 04:07 PM
The R1 was my second choice. I did not want to put a mint colored saddle on my ti bike. The 00 reviews have been very good.

Spdntrxi
08-01-2020, 04:09 PM
The R1 was my second choice. I did not want to put a mint colored saddle on my ti bike. The 00 reviews have been very good.

yeah it grows on you for better or worse. I never see it unless I'm not on the bike. :)

the have some in black now..lower models that are a little heavier.

reuben
08-01-2020, 04:57 PM
$450? For a SADDLE?!?

If I had some sort of unusual bone structure or something I guess I'd buy something like that, but that's a lotta damn money for a saddle.

dbnm
08-01-2020, 11:14 PM
https://www.carbon3d.com/resources/case-study/innovation-at-2x-the-speed/

R3awak3n
08-02-2020, 06:07 AM
I would love to try one but not at that price point. I get it though, they always do this with new tech, release it at the highest level and it will eventually trickle down.

However if that saddle was amazing (and I already knew that), I would probably pay the price since comfort on the bike always comes #1 for me so saddles, bibs, shoes I am always willing to pay a little more for the right stuff. However I can't know how good it is unless I buy it so it won't be replacing my $50 fabrics for a while.

Let us know how you like it though. Is the material soft?

proxient
08-02-2020, 07:53 AM
strange the the 155 weighs significantly less than the 143

dbnm
08-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Obviously that is a typo.

The articles about the saddle and the tech suggest that at some point, you will be able to have a saddle print for you. You will get measured in a shop and then they will make it. So cool.

R3awak3n
08-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Its cool but yet another complication for the bike world

charliedid
08-02-2020, 09:46 PM
I guess I totally missed the fact that these are custom made to the individual.

Spdntrxi
08-02-2020, 09:54 PM
I guess I totally missed the fact that these are custom made to the individual.

no they are not... not yet anyways. For 450 they should be though.

dbnm
08-02-2020, 09:57 PM
ah shucks fellas, I over paid. dang.

charliedid
08-02-2020, 09:59 PM
no they are not... not yet anyways. For 450 they should be though.

I'm so confused....

Spdntrxi
08-02-2020, 10:05 PM
I'm so confused....

the article "suggests" in the future it might be possible, but as of today the Mirror saddle is not custom. The fiziks versions are not custom either. I certainly see it coming, makes sense but yeah the price is a concern.

mokofoko
08-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Obviously that is a typo.

The articles about the saddle and the tech suggest that at some point, you will be able to have a saddle print for you. You will get measured in a shop and then they will make it. So cool.

So you'll need to go into a shop to have your butt measured. That wouldn't be awkward at all!

charliedid
08-02-2020, 10:23 PM
the article "suggests" in the future it might be possible, but as of today the Mirror saddle is not custom. The fiziks versions are not custom either. I certainly see it coming, makes sense but yeah the price is a concern.

Okay so I understood the first time I read it not tonight.

Thx

reuben
08-03-2020, 04:30 AM
So you'll need to go into a shop to have your butt measured. That wouldn't be awkward at all!

I'm pretty sure that neither my saddle nor my LBS need or want to know that much about my butt.

However, if by chance my LBS wants that info, then they should pay ME $450.

dbnm
09-21-2020, 10:41 PM
This is completely nuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124341733254

ridethecliche
09-21-2020, 11:29 PM
This is completely nuts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124341733254

Welcome to bikes in the time of covid

Andy340
10-28-2020, 06:09 PM
Has anyone ridden one of these power with mirror saddles? They are out of stock right now but I am looking for something more comfortable and reviews look good - always interested in real world feedback if anyone has some.

dbnm
10-28-2020, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I've got some miles on mine. It's a great saddle and I believe is worth the money.

buddybikes
10-28-2020, 06:25 PM
I made the jump and enjoy the 155. Thought about the cost is long gone.
First time I used it, actually put powder on it, as my butt stuck to the seat vs my older leather saddles.

I tried SMP, but the hammock feel wasn't for me.

Andy340
10-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Thanks to both of you re: experience with saddle. Only 155mm version available locally and fitting recommended 143mm version. Ordered a 143mm online and will report back.

dbnm
10-29-2020, 07:33 PM
If anyone is looking for one, check out the dealer list on the Spesh website and call around. Thanks how I got my 143.

hobbanero
10-30-2020, 06:33 PM
I have been riding one on my gravel bike. For the road, I still prefer a Pro Stealth, which has a wider nose and is more comfy when in the drops. But on the slightly more upright position of the gravel bike, this saddle works well for me. It feels soft, but not squishy. imho, it is an improvement over the normal Power. Whether it is worth $450 is in the eye of the beholder, but personally, the taint is the last place on my bike where I would look to save money.

Andy340
11-05-2020, 07:56 PM
If anyone is looking for one, check out the dealer list on the Spesh website and call around. Thanks how I got my 143.

Thanks for this, I had two online orders cancelled and refunded and then went to Specialized website and filtered down to ‘local’ dealers with saddle in stock. After multiple calls I tracked down a 143mm that will be shipped to me (most in stock leads were inaccurate as these seem to be selling fast).

jpw
11-06-2020, 03:22 AM
What about a saddle that is pumped up like a tyre?

Andy340
11-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Received saddle and have ridden for approx 2 weeks. Set up is different as it is shorter and Specialized website doesn’t have any guidance on setting up/achieving fit when coming from a standard length saddle (I reached out directly to specialized and did not get useful information - pretty surprising considering the price of the saddle).

From what I can find on various forums, approx 3 cm needs to be added to saddle setback measurement from BB but slope of saddle is giving me conflicting information. Some level first part of saddle with wings tilted up, others set up rails parallel to floor. Any advice fro users here would be appreciated as I am not finding the saddle to be comfortable and am hoping it is a set up issue.

yinzerniner
11-23-2020, 06:53 PM
Received saddle and have ridden for approx 2 weeks. Set up is different as it is shorter and Specialized website doesn’t have any guidance on setting up/achieving fit when coming from a standard length saddle (I reached out directly to specialized and did not get useful information - pretty surprising considering the price of the saddle).

From what I can find on various forums, approx 3 cm needs to be added to saddle setback measurement from BB but slope of saddle is giving me conflicting information. Some level first part of saddle with wings tilted up, others set up rails parallel to floor. Any advice fro users here would be appreciated as I am not finding the saddle to be comfortable and am hoping it is a set up issue.

Setback is between 2-3 cm shorter than regular saddle - don't know exact distance since saddles are all different lengths.

For tilt start with rails parallel to the floor with both wheels on, then adjust from there. One thing to note - the Power really is meant for an aggressive position, so you might feel like you're leaning a bit too far forward as with the parallel rails the back of the saddle is a bit higher than the middle. Also the shape is pretty flat, so that might or might not agree with your posterior - supposedly the Mirror should alleviate it a bit, as the previous Arcs did.

Imaking20
11-23-2020, 08:03 PM
Rails parallel to the floor may be a little too nose down - but probably a good SWAG. The advice my fitter (who is a BG fit instructor) gave me for setting up my standard Power is to set a clipboard on the saddle so it's across the front and rear of the saddle, place a level/angle finder (I use an app on my phone) on the clipboard and the saddle should be ~2.5-4.5* nose down. Just based on the side profile of the Mirror compared to regular Power, I'd say they probably end up being somewhere a little different - but hopefully that gets you close-ish.

Just put it on. A bit more squishy than my Pro Stealth Superlight and 50 grams heavier.

S-Works Mirror 190g
Pro Stealth Superlight 140g

Hoping to ride tonight and definitely tomorrow.

I didn't realize the Pro Stealth Superlight was a thing. Now I need to try the 142mm Stealth I have sitting on the shelf to see if the shape fits and if I need to order one!

lavi
11-23-2020, 09:46 PM
Rails parallel to the floor may be a little too nose down - but probably a good SWAG. The advice my fitter (who is a BG fit instructor) gave me for setting up my standard Power is to set a clipboard on the saddle so it's across the front and rear of the saddle, place a level/angle finder (I use an app on my phone) on the clipboard and the saddle should be ~2.5-4.5* nose down. Just based on the side profile of the Mirror compared to regular Power, I'd say they probably end up being somewhere a little different - but hopefully that gets you close-ish.

This is good info on the Power saddle. I have one now. I'm getting along fine with it. Doesn't feel as "comfy" as the Power Arc as those are not as flat as the Power. I seem to settle into the Power Arc and sit more atop the Power. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

I've been curios about these Mirror saddles too. Eye-wateringly expensive but supposedly the most comfy thing ever.

dbnm
11-23-2020, 10:18 PM
The idea behind the mirror is that Specialized will be able to take some measurements of your butt and then can make a saddle just for you.

I love the s-works power arc but I think this saddle is a bit better.

Andy340
11-30-2020, 08:41 PM
Thanks Yinzerniner & Imaking20, greatly appreciated. I tried a few more adjustments but I am not suited to this saddle (it may be too race oriented for me) so returned under 30 day satisfaction guarantee.