PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shops in Rome, ITA

Avispa
01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Well, I guess I am going to have to go on a business trip to Rome at the end of March. I said have, because the wife can't go, and really, it's no vacation... In any case, I have been to Italy many times and stayed for extended periods, but shame on me, I have never visited Rome.

Those of you that have been there recently, what bike shops do you recommend visiting?

I've got the other stuff covered as the people I will be helping there know the places to see and the places to eat...

Thanks!

dave thompson
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I'll be interested in the answer too! My wife and I will be in Rome in mid-May.

columbusslx
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Lazzaretti was pretty cool when I was there about 10 years ago.

http://www.ciclilazzaretti.it/home.htm

RABikes2
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I have a cycling friend, Eric, who lives in Rome. PM me and I'll be happy to give you the phone number I have for him. If he's not traveling on assignment (journalist), I'm sure he'd be glad to assist in any way.
RA

Simon Q
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
No great leads I am afraid other than to say that I think you might have to leave the centre to find larger shops. Over the years I have walked most streets in the centre and never seen one selling decent road gear. Shops adorned with all the latest Italian high end bike gadgetry are harder to find than you might think so you are right to try and pin it down before you go.

I am very envious of both of you. And of Eric.

Can you please post any that you find?

BURCH
01-24-2007, 09:15 AM
My first job out of school was in Rome for about 6 months. I shipped my bike over and did a lot of riding and exploring in and around the city. What a great city to bike in. Amidst all the chaos of the Roman roads, I was always respected on a bike as long as I keep going forward and didn't make any abrupt stops. I was told that as long and you keep going no matter what happens, the Romans will account for you. Stopping is what causes accidents. The advice was pretty accurate and applied to cars, vespas, and bikes.

Anyhow, I never went into a bike shop for some strange reason. My only tip on Rome is to cross the river to Trastevere for dinner one evening. All of the trattoria's over there are great and you get a feel for the old Rome culture.

Enjoy!

RABikes2
01-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I am very envious of both of you. And of Eric.http://www.ericjlyman.com/index.html
:)