PDA

View Full Version : Shoe fit - Sidi Mega vs. Specialized (wide?)

Benjamin
06-01-2020, 10:43 AM
Has anyone compared new S-works shoes to Sidis?

Obviously I'd normally try to find them in person to try on, but that's hard to do right now, and I wear a size (12.5/47) that is hard to find in stock.

I own an older pair of Specialized and found them to be plenty wide, but read they are made more narrow now.

I also own a pair of Sidi Genius 7 Mega - the width fits me, but I find they have too much volume for my foot, and I've got to keep them ratcheted down as tight as they go.

I'm looking at a new pair of S-Works Recon shoes, and wonder if they are still on the wider side.

They offer a "wide" width, but I don't want to end up with too much volume.

vqdriver
06-01-2020, 11:14 AM
i've tried most (though not the most most recent models) and found the following from wide to narrow

shimano wide > sidi mega > specialized wide > giro hv

lake wide is in there somewhere, but i didn't get far into the fitting process as the instep was abnormally low for a wide fit shoe. that was like 5 years ago and people seem to like em so maybe it's changed...

Bob Ross
06-01-2020, 11:24 AM
I own an older pair of Specialized and found them to be plenty wide, but read they are made more narrow now.

Ooh, that would be disappointing.

I haven't looked at Specialized shoes in nearly a decade, but I still own two pairs that fit me better than any other cycling shoe I've tried. I bought them when I first discovered that SIDI Mega widths still weren't wide enough for my feet.

In the interim I got a pair of Gaerne shoes that fit pretty nicely, but still tighter than ideal. And then about a year ago I discovered this tidbit on some internet cycling forum: If you buy SIDI Mega wide shoes a half-size larger than you normally take, they'll fit like Specialized shoes.

Well, that tidbit is wrong ...so now I have a pair of perfectly good SIDI shoes that are indeed wide enough but also too long.

So I was really hoping to go back to Specialized shoes. But if they're making them more narrow now that sounds like a big pile of suck.

Arrgghhh...