PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Repair SF Bay Area?

JimmyTango
06-01-2020, 09:26 AM
A big-ol rock kicked up and smashed into my MTB down tube just to the side of the plastic protector. It left what I would describe as a “dent” that I’m pretty sure cracked the carbon fiber.

Any recommendations for where to get it repaired in the East Bay? Or greater SF Bay Area?

Its a 2019 Niner Rip 9 RDO. This happened yesterday afternoon and I haven’t had the time to do a deeper examination. I’ll snap some photos later.

4151zero
06-01-2020, 09:36 AM
semi local?

I think there is another one in the 650 peninsula, can't remember

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

mhespenheide
06-01-2020, 02:19 PM
semi local?

I think there is another one in the 650 peninsula, can't remember

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

Joe's Carbon Repair, Watsonville?

pdmtong
06-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Joe's Carbon Repair, Watsonville?
Joe's has had a booth on the main path at Sea Otter for quit e few years now.

RRVelo is another Watsonville option if they are still in business. Edgar used to run mfg for calfee.

I had a downtube crack on my s-works CX. My LBS is the shop that does all the work for Stanford cycling and has a close relationship with Calfee. I sent it to Calfee via them. Simple repair, but the paint to match and decal to match pricing was more than the cost of the repair itself so I just left it "patched" and put a decal over the repair location.

Shop around for pricing since what you need sounds like a straightforward patch/wrap that I would think any of the three above could do easily.

Johnnysmooth
06-01-2020, 03:07 PM
Have used Calfee a couple of times and I live in Boston.
Always did top-notch quality repair - if anything better than new, esp for me Colnago C40 that had habit of chain stay and rear drop-out loosening. Had to do with the design by Colnago which Craig Calfee walked me through in detail.

CiclistiCliff
06-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Spyder Composites in Scotts Valley. Much less expensive, better QC, better communication, and way quicker.

jpritchet74
06-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Ruckus Composites in Portland is awesome. Not "local", but close enough that shipping is quick.

JimmyTango
06-01-2020, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the references!

dannymd
06-03-2020, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the references really helped