PDA

View Full Version : Carbon frame repair....

SPOKE
05-31-2020, 04:57 PM
Anyone had a repair done recently? I have a nice Bianchi that could use a repair around the bottom bracket area.

Greatestalltime
05-31-2020, 05:04 PM
I sent my De Rosa Protos off the Calfee Designs about two months ago. Long delay due to Covid.

I should get it back this week. I’ll repost with some pics if you’re still looking for info.

Supposedly it’ll look like new. 850$ total with shipping/tax etc.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200531/67f45c2bec2d89c60357e90a2b3b2fb1.jpg
I was hit by a f ing car. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

batman1425
05-31-2020, 05:11 PM
Cyclocarbon in SE Minnesota does fantastic work and Drew (owner/operator) is a super nice guy.

robt57
05-31-2020, 05:15 PM
Highly regarded as I understand it:

https://ruckuscomp.com/

cgolvin
05-31-2020, 05:24 PM
Hern repaired the BB on my Pinarello, warrantied for 5 years, and it’s still going strong past that. Great guy.

http://www.montenegromfg.com/

eippo1
05-31-2020, 05:44 PM
I sent mine up to Drummond in NH and they did a great job. Bike has since been sold by me and being ridden by another paceliner.

See the thread below:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/...ost.php?p=1610865&postcount=21

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

terry
05-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Just another to add to the list: Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes. Did mine this year with a 2 week turnaround.

SPOKE
05-31-2020, 07:40 PM
Thanks so much for the recommendations to every one that responded!!

ElvisMerckx
05-31-2020, 07:45 PM
I've used Carbon Fiber Solutions (http://www.carbonfibersolutions.net/) out of Virginia -- good price, excellent repair, perfect paint match, and no drama.

YesNdeed
05-31-2020, 08:22 PM
We're lucky enough to have Southwest Composites (https://www.swcompositeworks.com) here in town. They guarantee their work and I'm very happy with the work they did to my chain stay.

Plum Hill
05-31-2020, 08:28 PM
I’ve heard good things about TW Carbon in Valley Park (St. Louis suburb), Mo.
https://www.twcarbon.com/

vespasianus
07-21-2020, 12:44 PM

Lot of issues with Ruckus on web-boards.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=197262&page=3

To the OP (SPOKE), who did you end up choosing? Any pictures before and after? I have a week old (of riding, month total) Carbon frame that has a damaged top tube that I am thinking of getting repaired. The bike fell and the top tube hit the main pole of the Park bike stand (from a distance of about 6-12 inches). I thought that I had learned the hard way that carbon road bike frames are REALLY fragile but now wonder if the frame is actually just bad.

And yes, I did contact the manufacturer who said I must have crushed it somehow and called me a liar. Not sure if it will be safe to ride after a repair. Can these repair companies check the integrity of the entire frame?

robt57
07-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Good Data point, my Look was in there hands years back. Perhaps growing pains have set in.

SPOKE
07-21-2020, 02:25 PM
I haven’t sent the frame out yet. I’m going to use Concept2Composites in VA, just outside of the DC area. Communication has been good with these folks. They can even do the refinish once the repair is done. Wanted to drive up and meet the folks that will do the work but just haven’t had time to make an 8hr round trip.

To the OP (SPOKE), who did you end up choosing? Any pictures before and after? I have a week old (of riding, month total) Carbon frame that has a damaged top tube that I am thinking of getting repaired. The bike fell and the top tube hit the main pole of the Park bike stand (from a distance of about 6-12 inches). I thought that I had learned the hard way that carbon road bike frames are REALLY fragile but now wonder if the frame is actually just bad.

And yes, I did contact the manufacturer who said I must have crushed it somehow and called me a liar. Not sure if it will be safe to ride after a repair. Can these repair companies check the integrity of the entire frame?

SoCalSteve
07-21-2020, 03:01 PM

Respectfully, you understand incorrectly. I, along with many others, have horror stories regarding this company. A simple search on this forum will yield you plenty of data points to disregard this company.

vespasianus
07-21-2020, 03:17 PM
Respectfully, you understand incorrectly. I, along with many others, have horror stories regarding this company. A simple search on this forum will yield you plenty of data points to disregard this company.

Did you get your frames repaired by someone else after RUKUS?

Keith A
07-21-2020, 03:25 PM
I have had a couple people use the Frame Doctor in Orlando and they have been very happy.
https://www.facebook.com/FrameDoctor911/
http://framedoctor911.com/fdmain.htm

vespasianus
07-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Anybody hear of reports of people repairing a frame and subsequently failing?

glepore
07-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Ruckus talks a good game, and has some great tech at their disposal. I had to fix a Colnago that they repaired. In fairness was a bad break right at the seatstay/dropout junction caused by a derailleur failure. But there was so much excess epoxy, the smallest cog became unusable.

They have ultrasound, they understand layups, and if they're focused they do good work. They may have progressed beyond these issues. In fairness, they only had the bare frame and couldn't have known about the problem. But when contacted they shrugged. Hope they've progressed beyond their growing pains. Can't say for sure.

vespasianus
07-21-2020, 07:50 PM
Ruckus talks a good game, and has some great tech at their disposal. I had to fix a Colnago that they repaired. In fairness was a bad break right at the seatstay/dropout junction caused by a derailleur failure. But there was so much excess epoxy, the smallest cog became unusable.

They have ultrasound, they understand layups, and if they're focused they do good work. They may have progressed beyond these issues. In fairness, they only had the bare frame and couldn't have known about the problem. But when contacted they shrugged. Hope they've progressed beyond their growing pains. Can't say for sure.

I ask because there are lots of reports of people fixing their carbon bikes and for the most part, the bikes seem good as new. The exception is if the repair was screwed up to start.

cd_davis
07-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Great repair on my 2000 C40 by Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes near Boston. Gets high reviews locally.....
Chris

chismog
07-21-2020, 08:03 PM
I just sent my Colnago up to Spyder Composites. Haven't gotten it back yet, but they seem to understand the issues and they x-ray the frame to get a better view. In particular, this last piece was interesting to me. I don't repair carbon myself but I feel like an x-ray would be a helpful diagnostic. :confused::help:

Coffee Rider
07-22-2020, 12:41 AM
Cyclocarbon in SE Minnesota does fantastic work and Drew (owner/operator) is a super nice guy.

He also does some really great paint work.

vespasianus
07-22-2020, 07:07 AM
I am taking my bike to a local place - Coastal Carbon in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Cervelo a person I ride with had cracked - they did not know because it was on the bottom of the top tube - and the bike shop sent it to this place and it came back looking like new. Fingers crossed.

SPOKE
07-22-2020, 10:33 AM
That’s good to know that Myrtle Beach has a shop that can do repairs!! I’m down there a couple times a month. Would be very easy for me to drop my repair off for them to repair. Please keep us posted on any results.
SPOKE

I am taking my bike to a local place - Coastal Carbon in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Cervelo a person I ride with had cracked - they did not know because it was on the bottom of the top tube - and the bike shop sent it to this place and it came back looking like new. Fingers crossed.

vespasianus
07-22-2020, 02:59 PM
That’s good to know that Myrtle Beach has a shop that can do repairs!! I’m down there a couple times a month. Would be very easy for me to drop my repair off for them to repair. Please keep us posted on any results.
SPOKE

Will do. Very responsive to my e-mails and answered questions and gave lots of options of what to do in terms of paint and cost. Time frame was not bad either.

This is a brand new bike that I have had together only for a week. My fault 100% and he was very sympathetic and understanding of how I would like it to be.

vespasianus
08-14-2020, 11:42 AM
SPOKE

So, I got my bike back last week and honestly, there is zero evidence that it was ever damaged. The repair is perfect. They did an absolute fantastic job that just blows me away.

The time from drop off to pick up was 16 days (with a hurricane in the middle). They had said about 2 weeks and they were close (15 days when done but could not get there till the next day). I broke the bike down myself and rebuilt I myself as otherwise, bike shops were quoting times of 4-8 weeks!

The shop is Coastal Carbon and if you need carbon repaired, I highly recommend them. Highly communicative and honest.

Had it back for a week and have gotten three good rides with about ~120 miles and very happy. Will post pictures a bit later.

C40_guy
08-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Great repair on my 2000 C40 by Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes near Boston. Gets high reviews locally.....
Chris

Toby is a great guy. Did you drop off at his shop?

When he was building my 'cross bike, I really enjoyed the pickup/drop-off/pickup process.

Keith A
08-14-2020, 12:02 PM
That's great news. Glad everything worked out for you.

SPOKE
08-14-2020, 03:40 PM
I have the frame with me now. Going to try to drop it off this weekend or Monday....
Thanks for your update!

So, I got my bike back last week and honestly, there is zero evidence that it was ever damaged. The repair is perfect. They did an absolute fantastic job that just blows me away.

The time from drop off to pick up was 16 days (with a hurricane in the middle). They had said about 2 weeks and they were close (15 days when done but could not get there till the next day). I broke the bike down myself and rebuilt I myself as otherwise, bike shops were quoting times of 4-8 weeks!

The shop is Coastal Carbon and if you need carbon repaired, I highly recommend them. Highly communicative and honest.

Had it back for a week and have gotten three good rides with about ~120 miles and very happy. Will post pictures a bit later.

vespasianus
08-14-2020, 07:47 PM
I have the frame with me now. Going to try to drop it off this weekend or Monday....
Thanks for your update!

Good deal.

SPOKE
08-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Dropped my frame off today. The owner agreed to meet me at the shop even though he’s usually not open on the weekends. He should have the damage completely inspected early next week. He uses a combination of ultrasound and dye penetrant to determine the extent of the damage. His best guess on pricing the repair is starting out to be nearly 1/3 the price of the other shop that gave me an estimate.
So far I’m pleased with my initial interaction with this company....
Cheers......SPOKE

vespasianus
08-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Dropped my frame off today. The owner agreed to meet me at the shop even though he’s usually not open on the weekends. He should have the damage completely inspected early next week. He uses a combination of ultrasound and dye penetrant to determine the extent of the damage. His best guess on pricing the repair is starting out to be nearly 1/3 the price of the other shop that gave me an estimate.
Cheers......SPOKE

Yeah, they seem honest and fair. My bike was done on Friday but I was stuck at work and thought I would just have to wait till Monday. He said he could come into the shop for me to pick it up on Saturday or Sunday. Really nice of him as most people would not even think about such a thing.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1698006397&stc=1&d=1597611198

C50
09-15-2020, 05:09 PM
I thought this video might be of interest. Joey's (Framedoctor) name gets mentioned (by me and others) when talking about carbon fiber repair. This repair is on a different kind of frame, the tub of a McLaren 675LT but at least you get to see bikes in the background of the video done by a popular YouTube carguy/channel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBmE4rrGNHs

vespasianus
09-15-2020, 06:43 PM
Cheers......SPOKE

Hey Spoke, did you get it back?

SPOKE
09-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Not yet....had to send him the BB cups. Finally got them to him today....I hope😉Hey Spoke, did you get it back?

jpritchet74
09-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Update?

I dropped a bike on my Cervelo and cracked the top tube. I was thinking about sending it to Ruckus, but now might go elsewhere...

sokyroadie
09-17-2020, 09:15 AM
Ruckus but will go elsewhere...

FIFY - search the forum, really bad reviews on Ruckus.

vespasianus
10-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Not yet....had to send him the BB cups. Finally got them to him today....I hope😉

Any luck with the bike?

SPOKE
10-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Sorry it’s taken me a while to give an update...
Picked up the frame last Sunday afternoon. Had a delay on my end getting the replacement bb cups then shipped them to Cameron at Coastal Composites.
Cameron had to repair some damage inside the bb shell then repair the crack near where the seat tube and bb merge. Cameron indicated that the bb bores seemed to be a little undersized per spec but he took care of that. He then had to match the gloss Celeste paint. He indicated that was a bit of a challenge but he nailed it! The only things he couldn’t fix were the loss of 2 decals that he couldn’t duplicate or get replacements for. I’ll know just how well the repair was done once I get the bike built up but from what I can see he did a great job. Very easy to do business with and he’s been very willing to meet me at his shop on the weekends for drop off and pickup. Pricing seems to be very fair and he can get your repairs done quickly.
I had this repair initially quoted by a shop in Northern VA at nearly $1200. Cameron repaired the frame for under $500.
He only does carbon repair but he can paint any bike. If you need a repaint on a frame give him a call. My experience indicates he does very good work at fair pricing. (I have a frame or two that I’m going to get him to spray once I get them stripped of parts)
Cheers.....SPOKE

vespasianus
10-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Sorry it’s taken me a while to give an update...
Picked up the frame last Sunday afternoon. Had a delay on my end getting the replacement bb cups then shipped them to Cameron at Coastal Composites.
Cameron had to repair some damage inside the bb shell then repair the crack near where the seat tube and bb merge. Cameron indicated that the bb bores seemed to be a little undersized per spec but he took care of that. He then had to match the gloss Celeste paint. He indicated that was a bit of a challenge but he nailed it! The only things he couldn’t fix were the loss of 2 decals that he couldn’t duplicate or get replacements for. I’ll know just how well the repair was done once I get the bike built up but from what I can see he did a great job. Very easy to do business with and he’s been very willing to meet me at his shop on the weekends for drop off and pickup. Pricing seems to be very fair and he can get your repairs done quickly.
I had this repair initially quoted by a shop in Northern VA at nearly $1200. Cameron repaired the frame for under $500.
He only does carbon repair but he can paint any bike. If you need a repaint on a frame give him a call. My experience indicates he does very good work at fair pricing. (I have a frame or two that I’m going to get him to spray once I get them stripped of parts)
Cheers.....SPOKE

Good to hear and post a picture of that beauty when it is all up and done!