PDA

View Full Version : Which oven cleaner to remove Campy paint

Veloo
05-31-2020, 12:35 PM
I know a number of folks here use oven cleaner to remove paint/ anodizing.

I think I'll take a stab at polishing up a small, black Potenza part.

Any particular oven cleaner better than the rest?

ColonelJLloyd
05-31-2020, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference in the oven cleaners that use lye.

What I do know is that there is a big difference in submerging parts in a solution intended to remove the anodizing versus spraying a foamy oven cleaner, scrubbing, wiping, hitting problem spots again, etc. Oven cleaner will work, but I recommend Jestco (https://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=37) if they'll ship to you (I see you are in Canada).

thirdgenbird
05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
I’ve tried a few with little luck. The same oven cleaner cleanly removed the ano on other brand parts with no effort. CycloRetro confirmed Campagnolo coatings are not easy to remove in a FB conversation I had with Chris.

Velocipede
05-31-2020, 01:03 PM
I've used Easy Off before. But lately I've just asked my local anodizer to de-anodize the parts. There's gotta be a local anodizer near you. You can always ask who Toronto Cycles uses for their anodizing.

Veloo
05-31-2020, 02:49 PM
I just thought I'd give myself a small covid project.

I've used Easy Off before. But lately I've just asked my local anodizer to de-anodize the parts. There's gotta be a local anodizer near you. You can always ask who Toronto Cycles uses for their anodizing.

blakcloud
05-31-2020, 07:33 PM
I purchased lye from Home Depot and it works great for de-anodizing. My buddy used oven spray and tells me it worked well enough.