PDA

View Full Version : OT - Who watched the Space-X launch?

Bruce K
05-30-2020, 02:27 PM
And did anyone see it live?

Actually got a little teary eyed seeing a launch from Cape Canaveral again.

BK

RFC
05-30-2020, 02:33 PM
Watching it now. We need some good news.

Tz779
05-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Watching it now. We need some good news.

agreed.

Mike V
05-30-2020, 02:37 PM
Yep

I like all the camera views. Thoroughly impressed.

gasman
05-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Watching on tv and computer with different feeds.
I watched the final Shuttle launch in 2011 and been looking forward to this happening.

Spaghetti Legs
05-30-2020, 02:43 PM
I tuned in about 30 seconds too late to see the liftoff. Agree, very good to see something good happen. Too bad video cut out on the booster landing. That is truly and amazing sight.

Bruce K
05-30-2020, 02:46 PM
As a teacher I am hopeful this will inspire a new generation of scientists, mathematicians, innovators, and explorers.

BK

pbarry
05-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! 🌈

KJMUNC
05-30-2020, 02:49 PM
That was awesome. My 11yr old has been completely geeked out about this....pretty cool to see him experience his first launch.

commandcomm
05-30-2020, 03:10 PM
I love to watch these. I am always in awe of people who are smart, technical and imaginative enough to figure out to make something like this work.

exapkib
05-30-2020, 03:13 PM
Watched it with my boys. Wonderful experience--amazing what they can do with the video these days. So different from watching launches back in the day (I'm from the generation that watched the Challenger tragedy live in class at school.).

Loved watching Stage 1 make its way back to Earth. Incredible.

What a time we live in.

duff_duffy
05-30-2020, 03:16 PM
That was awesome!

duff_duffy
05-30-2020, 03:18 PM
Totally agree.....based on age of many of the support teams and engineers I saw they will be doing amazing things for years to come.

I love to watch these. I am always in awe of people who are smart, technical and imaginative enough to figure out to make something like this work.

semdoug
05-30-2020, 03:51 PM
We tried to watch with the naked eye from the Gulf Coast but there was a bit of cloud cover. The shuttle launches were much easier to see, the exhaust trail was much more visible.

Agree with others, cool bit of good news.

gasman
05-30-2020, 03:57 PM
Totally agree.....based on age of many of the support teams and engineers I saw they will be doing amazing things for years to come.

Smart young ones.

Did you know that the average age of the Apollo engineers was about 26 ? They did a lot of amazing things then and now.

mcteague
05-30-2020, 03:58 PM
Just this week SpaceX has a test rocket explode in Texas. That was not the Falcon used today. Amazing how much automation is used and the astronauts are pretty much cargo at this point. The whole thing reminded me of watching Mercury/Gemini/Apollo launches as a kid.

Tim

GregL
05-30-2020, 03:59 PM
I was glued to the live video stream! I felt like a kid in the 1960s and 1970s all over again. I loved the interior and exterior shots from the ship. I certainly hope this is the beginning of an exciting new era in US manned space flight!

Greg

jm714
05-30-2020, 04:20 PM
I was watching CNN and my feed cut out and i missed lift, i got it back about 16 seconds into flight.

On another note i saw the space shuttle land at Edwards AFB back in 88, that was an amazing scene. Sorry i never went back for another one.

zap
05-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Darn it, I forgot.

Was out driving around looking for dirt roads.......that was a total waste of time.

roguedog
05-30-2020, 05:00 PM
Hell ya. Kinda glad launch was postponed so I could watch today. So awesome to see this. I agree.. needed a bit of uplifting news.

jkbrwn
05-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Was quite spectacular and in just a decade so different from the last shuttle launch. I feel incredibly privileged to witness this stuff with such ease.

pdmtong
05-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Kelly Clarkson without makeup (excellent rendition)!

Snoopy!

Glittery Brontosaurus!

Multiple camera angles!

Only five seconds of #45!

If I have a complaint there was too much commentary and not enough live audio. It was really great to watch.

Toeclips
05-30-2020, 05:09 PM
Totally cool

I do like the old space suits better, bubble helmets, air tubes, Michelin man suit.... they just looked cool

OtayBW
05-30-2020, 05:22 PM
Not only was this the 1st launch from Cape Canaveral, but it flew from the same launch pad that was used by Apollo 11. Very auspicious....

Elefantino
05-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Keith? Did you watch it?

rnhood
05-30-2020, 08:54 PM
I tried watching it from Ormond but, there was too much cloud cover in line of view. So I finished watching it on TV. Still, it was delightful and exhilarating to see us back on the space track. Good news conference by our President there too. Just a good day for Florida, and a well done to NASA and SpaceX.

Mattre
05-30-2020, 09:07 PM
I'm watching a live stream of mission control now but there's no audio :(

They're going to try to land the booster on a barge in the Atlantic. I hope there's coverage of that.

Bruce K
05-30-2020, 09:17 PM
There was up until the video cut out right before it landed on the recovery ship.

Cute message “We miss you.” On the screen, but not as cool as actually seeing it.

BK

Louis
05-30-2020, 10:37 PM
I wasn't sure how to feel about this.

On one hand I was hoping they'd succeed, on the other, I try to stay as far away as possible from anything involving Elon Musk.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2020, 06:56 AM
Didn't see it live but watched..VERY exciting..amazed at the pin point recovery on a small platform, of the first stage booster.

Interesting that previously the crew were 'colonel, capt', this or that, these guys were 'Doug' and "Bob"..now changed clothes into khakis and polo shirts..

Very casual and 'elon musk-esque'..IMHO..These guys, sitting in front of touch screens, were just passengers..kinda like riding in a self driving Tesla from LA to San Fran..along for the ride. :).

Ya can say what ya want about Elon Musk(yup, he's a weirdo)..BUT..he made it happen, so kudos to him and his team(and Government $$)...

572cv
05-31-2020, 07:18 AM
It was a great show to see with my son. And, i hope, a new beginning for space access here in this country. The presentation and camera angles... wow. Sticking the first stage landing... just mind blowing, at least to me.

smontanaro
05-31-2020, 07:43 AM
Saw the liftoff yesterday. Docking is soonish (it's about 1240 UTC as I post this). You can watch on NASA TV:

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Blue Jays
05-31-2020, 12:01 PM
OMG, totally LOVED it! Was riveted to the television screen. So awesome.

Joel
05-31-2020, 12:12 PM
Oh yes!!!

One of the joys of living in Central Florida is watching the feed, then at t-15 seconds running at full speed into the back yard to see it.

Absolute beauty.

roguedog
05-31-2020, 02:30 PM
That is an awesome perk, Joel. Cool to hear that one does not get tired of it either.

mistermo
05-31-2020, 08:19 PM
Ya can say what ya want about Elon Musk(yup, he's a weirdo)..BUT..he made it happen, so kudos to him and his team(and Government $$)...

Agreed. I found this very cool. Pretty sure it takes a weirdo to do all he's done. Elon Musk SpaceX (https://youtu.be/Crc8re8WKBw)

Also cool. They said it couldn't be done. (https://youtu.be/8P8UKBAOfGo)

Joe
05-31-2020, 11:41 PM
I would have been naive to expect otherwise, but it is remarkable how technological advances have made these flights look and feel just a bit more accessible and routine compared to previous manned flights. Cabins of previous crewed spacecraft were starkly functional; interiors of the Crew Dragon (and Boeing Starliner) more closely resemble the cabin of a commercial airliner. In the past, mission control was crammed with data consoles; controllers in Hawthorne for yesterday’s launch sat at tables with a small array of monitors, not unlike some of our offices. Astronauts used to travel with an entourage to the launch pad in an “astrovan”; yesterday’s trip to the launch pad was more like “Hey honey, Bob and I are taking the Tesla out to look at the the rocket. If the weather’s ok, we’ll probably fly to the space station. Be back in a few months.”

The video from the boosters and inside the spacecraft was remarkable. Recovery of the first stage boosters is amazing. The broadcast on NASA TV was very good until the politicians started talking.

All of this is very exciting, and it will be fun to see how this progresses.

skiezo
06-01-2020, 05:48 AM
I was visiting a friend in the area and we jumped in his 28' off shore fishing boat and went down the intercostal to a spot as close as we could get.
It was pretty awesome to see the things launch and feel the whole world shake and rumble as it reached into to outer limits.
The first try we were also there early and saw AF1 come in but we left the stinger at the house :)

redir
06-01-2020, 02:01 PM
It sounds exciting for everyone here so I hate to be the party pooper but since you asked, who watched it, I'll answer. Not me :D

I really have just about zero interest in it. Funny to becasue when I was studying geology I had considered going into planetary geology.

But in my humble opinion it's just another rocket. We've been there and done that many times. It is very cool however how that thing lands back down on it's feet. I'll give it that.

Dino Suegiù
06-01-2020, 02:15 PM
The rocket landing on that platform so precisely was incredible.

I was also interested (at the other gnat's-ass end of things from the rocket landing) that Doug Hurley, in some views, wears glasses.

I can't imagine that a person who needs glasses to see better could qualify to be a fighter jet test pilot and astronaut, so maybe they are only glasses (like "computer glasses") for use on the touch-screens and not for enhancing vision per se? It was just interesting to see him handling the glasses, even fumbling around with them the day they scrubbed the first launch. Hopefully he has a good lanyard for them up there!

Good luck to those two, when they return.