PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - How to heat mold Bont Cycling shoes

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 10:21 AM
I know there have been several forum members who have asked how to heat mold there Bont shoes. Some people have tried and had issues, while others simply don't know the process. I've been working with Bont cycling for the last 2 years, managing their social media and taking photos. I have been using Bont shoes well before I ever partnered with them as I see a huge benefit to their design/shape. They asked me to put together a video tutorial that could help customers understand the heat molding process. On my instagram page, I'm frequently asked how to do this, so I know the demand for others to know is out there. Figured I would post it here as well, in case anyone was needing the help.

cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fwfdBy2SYM

Veloo
05-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Very well done. Great that you got a microphone.
So surprised when I see "professionals" not making the effort for decent audio.

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 10:51 AM
Very well done. Great that you got a microphone.
So surprised when I see "professionals" not making the effort for decent audio.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and happy to hear you approved. Video is all new to me. My world has revolved around photography for the last 8 years and I still feel like a rookie with that! I know there are many things that could be improved with the video, but with my experience and budget for new gear, I'm happy with the outcome. More importantly, Bont was SUPER stoked with the outcome, so it must not be TOO bad :D. I'm hoping that with the more experience I get, the more efficient I will become which will in turn generate higher quality videos.

Veloo
05-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Here are my 2+ cents

Nice that it has a (very) quick intro instead of holding the viewer hostage for 60 seconds with annoying combinations of graphics and music.

Background music doesn't overpower what you have to say.

Like how you used (fade) transitions for most of the video. Personally I'm not a fan of the hard edged edits to cut out unwanted recordings. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way. Bugs me to see someone suddenly in a slightly different position. I know it means more time and retakes but I'd prefer to see a smooth continuous flow.

parallelfish
05-30-2020, 11:49 AM
What is the reason for removing the cleats first?

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 12:06 PM
What is the reason for removing the cleats first?

So the cleats don't melt or bond into the sole

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 12:09 PM
Here are my 2+ cents

Nice that it has a (very) quick intro instead of holding the viewer hostage for 60 seconds with annoying combinations of graphics and music.

Background music doesn't overpower what you have to say.

Like how you used (fade) transitions for most of the video. Personally I'm not a fan of the hard edged edits to cut out unwanted recordings. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way. Bugs me to see someone suddenly in a slightly different position. I know it means more time and retakes but I'd prefer to see a smooth continuous flow.

yup, I get it. I tried. If I wasn't such a bumbling moron and could get through a sentence without messing it up, it would be much easier to accomplish that. The hard cut isn't my ideal way of doing it either, but it was better than the option of getting hung up on words or saying the wrong thing. As mentioned, its just gaining experience and confidence. Its tough to do it all by myself lol

Clean39T
05-30-2020, 12:31 PM
I haven't watched the video yet, but if you have any insights on how to be sure you get the right size ordered, that would be great!

parallelfish
05-30-2020, 12:35 PM
So the cleats don't melt or bond into the sole

I was curious as Lake has a similar video at 200 degrees with cleats mounted.

donevwil
05-30-2020, 12:39 PM
I'll be doing this this weekend, I've been wearing some new Vaypor XCs that have yet to be molded.

I haven't watched the video yet, but if you have any insights on how to be sure you get the right size ordered, that would be great!

In my single experience the online calculator works very well for the Vaypor level shoes (not Riot level).

muz
05-30-2020, 12:48 PM
I was curious as Lake has a similar video at 200 degrees with cleats mounted.

I think the issue with Bont would be that the sole could be misshapen while standing on the cleats as they cool down. IIRC only the uppers are heat moldable in the case of Lake shoes.

Which brings me to my question: would it be OK to leave in walkable (2-bolt SPD style) cleats for MTB or gravel model Bont shoes?

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 01:26 PM

I'll be doing this this weekend, I've been wearing some new Vaypor XCs that have yet to be molded.

In my single experience the online calculator works very well for the Vaypor level shoes (not Riot level).

In my experience, I have found them to be most similar to Specialized shoes. So I'd try on a pair of Specialized and see what length you need. The online Bont wizard they recommend you use was so far off for me. It placed me with a 43.5 wide which is what I ordered. I was professionally measured by a local dealer in Portland who was a Bont dealer a the time. When they arrived, I could barely get my foot into the entire shoe. Sent them back and went with a 44.5 wide. That was much better, but I recently made the jump up to 45 wide and that has been the ticket to comfort. I would also wear a 45 in Specialized Sworks shoes for comparison.

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 01:27 PM
I think the issue with Bont would be that the sole could be misshapen while standing on the cleats as they cool down. IIRC only the uppers are heat moldable in the case of Lake shoes.

Which brings me to my question: would it be OK to leave in walkable (2-bolt SPD style) cleats for MTB or gravel model Bont shoes?

I don't have the answer for that, however I know they recommend you tak e off all cleats and hardware for all their shoes. I personally wouldn't risk leaving them on, but your choice. I'd take the 2 minutes to take them off to be safe rather than sorry.

Veloo
05-30-2020, 02:22 PM
Extra kudos for doing it yourself.
I've done a bit of filming and editing. It's a lot of work.

yup, I get it. I tried. If I wasn't such a bumbling moron and could get through a sentence without messing it up, it would be much easier to accomplish that. The hard cut isn't my ideal way of doing it either, but it was better than the option of getting hung up on words or saying the wrong thing. As mentioned, its just gaining experience and confidence. Its tough to do it all by myself lol

donevwil
05-30-2020, 04:01 PM
In my experience, I have found them to be most similar to Specialized shoes. So I'd try on a pair of Specialized and see what length you need. The online Bont wizard they recommend you use was so far off for me. It placed me with a 43.5 wide which is what I ordered. I was professionally measured by a local dealer in Portland who was a Bont dealer a the time. When they arrived, I could barely get my foot into the entire shoe. Sent them back and went with a 44.5 wide. That was much better, but I recently made the jump up to 45 wide and that has been the ticket to comfort. I would also wear a 45 in Specialized Sworks shoes for comparison.

Funny that you mention this, or maybe interesting is the appropriate adjective, I have a pair of 49W Specialized road shoes that fit perfectly as well (wide toe box, narrow heel), but haven't worn them in years after moving to SPDs. They are the closest by far to the Bont 50W.

My primary issue is the Bont's lower stack height relative to my Lakes, it's significant enough to be an issue. I need to either commit a bike to a shoe (no thanks) or move all Bont or all Lake, a potentially very expensive proposition.

bianchi10
05-30-2020, 04:16 PM
Funny that you mention this, or maybe interesting is the appropriate adjective, I have a pair of 49W Specialized road shoes that fit perfectly as well (wide toe box, narrow heel), but haven't worn them in years after moving to SPDs. They are the closest by far to the Bont 50W.

My primary issue is the Bont's lower stack height relative to my Lakes, it's significant enough to be an issue. I need to either commit a bike to a shoe (no thanks) or move all Bont or all Lake, a potentially very expensive proposition.

Yup, I've heard that this is an issue for many riders. I've always been the type of person to have 1 brand of everything. If I change, its usually for a reason, which means I usually sell what I used to have and buy more of what I have moved to. Glasses, jersey/bibs, socks, shoes...etc. All of my shoes are Bont. I don't like having multiple different brands of shoes, therefor this isn't an issue for me. But yes, if you are one who has multiple brands of shoes, you will notice that the stack height difference will certainly effect your fit.