PDA

View Full Version : Della Santa question

gbcoupe
05-30-2020, 08:34 AM
There's a beautiful Molteni orange Della Santa Ossobuco listed on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/52-cm-Roland-Della-Santa-Molteni-Orange-road-bike-with-Ossobuco-rear-triangle/224022206014?hash=item3428c3963e:g:KZgAAOSwSiVeyu9 Z

It states that it is # 25/26 Ossobucos made. Did Roland only make 26? I'd think it would be a higher number. Mine's not going anywhere, so I don't care about value. Just curious.

FlashUNC
05-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Not sure if Roland ever publicly disclosed how many Ossobuccos were made, though I suppose he could have shared that info with this buyer. But given the modest upcharge on it from a standard Della Santa, I don't get why every customer didn't get that option.

54ny77
05-30-2020, 08:48 AM
If that was a 54 I'd be bidding for it. Timeless.

The headtube size in the ad has to be a typo (says 18.4 cm), but the eyeball size-o-meter (not to mention Roland's expertise) says it's perfectly proportioned for the frame size. Am sure the seller could re-measure if you asked.

If this fits you and you've wanted one, this is about as classic as it gets. All the bells and whistles with those special chainstays.

My single regret in bike buying land was not having Roland complete my custom order. I kept putzing around for years and didn't get around to it. And then it was too late.

RIP good man, I enjoyed all of our chats over the years. :cool:

gbcoupe
05-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Not sure if Roland ever publicly disclosed how many Ossobuccos were made, though I suppose he could have shared that info with this buyer. But given the modest upcharge on it from a standard Della Santa, I don't get why every customer didn't get that option.

Right, and they're perfect for storing Clif Bloks!

Monsieur Toast
05-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Added cost & weight (both negligible), more difficult to clean, and not everyone's visual cup of tea.

Super sweet and love seeing them, but I don't regret not speccing those chain stays.

fijichf
05-30-2020, 10:25 AM
I bought a secondhand DS that I wanted to fit but it didn’t...the workmanship was spectacular and I was bummed about moving it along, but the new owner rides it like it was meant to be ridden. It didn’t have the OB chainstays, but I definitely appreciate the workmanship involved in making them and if I had the chance to order one, I would go with the OB option...the feature is a nod to the craftsman imho. I keep hunting for another one as I missed the chance to work with Roland.

Clean39T
05-30-2020, 11:02 AM
Dang, if that were my size...... Perfect bike, atmo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk