PDA

View Full Version : campy 8 speed cassette fit 10 speed hub,-really

purplecu22
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I have campy 8 speed. Everything I have found and read says you cant put a 8 speed cassette on a 10 speed campy hub. Well for years i believed this. So I'm looking at my new campy 10 speed hub. Love the hub. 268grams. Dollar per gram awsome hub. 10 speed is a lot lighter than a 8 speed hub. Really wish i could run it with my 8 speed. Well I was wondering about the cassette issue. A 8 speed cassette wont fit on a 10 speed hub. Get this, It does. Has anyone else done this. Any problems with the cassette eating the hub. a common problem with new shimano hubs cassette bodies and steel cassettes. There are five contact points for tansfer of torque. .

:thumbsup:

nobrakes
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm using 10 spd cassette on 8/9 spd freehub, only diff I've found was retainer on old hubset is diff. thread to newer, so I can't use a 10 spd cassette with 11 tooth, 12 is max.
I have older 7/8 spd Campy hubs with a Shimano-ish looking freehub, and these things are pretty much orphans that can't be used for anything but old style Campy 7-8 spd, if that. I used all the spacers and a 17 tooth sprocket for a single speed wheel.

Grant McLean
01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
There are two campy cassette hub spline patterns:
The older 'EXA drive' ones are not the same as 10 speed,
the spline pattern isn't even close, they have 8 wide splines.

Some point around mid 90's "EXA-MK-2" came out in the high end.
This is the same spline pattern used today, with what are called
"ULTRA-DRIVE" cogs. (that refers to the ramping, not the splines)

There are "MK-2" cogsets that are 8 speed, as well as 9speed,
and these fit the current 10 speed hubs.

LOCKRINGS is a whole 'nother story.

Just to keep it complicated, there are 2 different THREAD diameters.
The old one is 26mm in diameter, the current one is 27mm, since 2000.
As well, there are two different outer sizes: one for 12 tooth and up, and
a special one for 11 tooth 1st postion cogs.

Gotta luv your campy trivia!

you can download catalogs and service books:
http://www.tuttocampagnolo.com/catalogs.php

attached photo of EXA mark 1 which is different from 10sp:

g

purplecu22
01-24-2007, 04:01 AM
i checked my cassettes and I have extra and ultra drive cassette. I guess I lucked out when i bought replacements. I do have a 10 lock ring.
How many miles has someone road this 8/10 combo. I really like 8 speed for training reason. Its just so durable compaired to 10 speed. I get chains cheap and change them out when they were to .5. I get years out of my cassette by doing this. :banana:

flyingporkpies
12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
2 years later I discovered in the same way 8 speed ultra cassette fits my 10 speed freehub and like you say not as many points of engagement. I wondered the same thing, I guess you never got an answer on durabilty. Perhaps you can give me one :) Cheers, flyingporkpies

handsomerob
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Durability will likely depend greatly on the spline material of the hub body. I too found that the 8 speed cassette would in fact slide right on a newer 10 speed hub. I put an 8 speed loose cog cassette on my Zondas and rode it for no more than 500 miles. I checked it to find it had gouged the splines so bad it was difficult to get the cassette back off. I then had to sand down all the gouge marks to get another cassette back on.

The splines on the Campy Zondas are a MUCH softer material than say the Ksyrium SL's. I have taken a few cassettes on and off Ksyriums and they must make that hub body from adamantium. I haven't tested my theory, but I think you might be ok for a while putting the 8 speed cassette on it.

Anyone tried it?

Dave
12-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Campy uses aluminum for their cassette bodies and Mavic uses steel.

Here's more info on the cassette bodies. If the 8 speed cogs have shallow splines with less than full engagement on the aluminum body, then trouble is insured.

http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm

oldpotatoe
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I have campy 8 speed. Everything I have found and read says you cant put a 8 speed cassette on a 10 speed campy hub. Well for years i believed this. So I'm looking at my new campy 10 speed hub. Love the hub. 268grams. Dollar per gram awsome hub. 10 speed is a lot lighter than a 8 speed hub. Really wish i could run it with my 8 speed. Well I was wondering about the cassette issue. A 8 speed cassette wont fit on a 10 speed hub. Get this, It does. Has anyone else done this. Any problems with the cassette eating the hub. a common problem with new shimano hubs cassette bodies and steel cassettes. There are five contact points for tansfer of torque. .

:thumbsup:

Yes it does but the cogs don't 'grab' a lot of the aluminum freehub body. Why 9/10s cogs are deeper splined. Not a good idea. A better idea is get a Veloce 9s cogset, all loose cogs, use the Campagnolo black 8s spacers, install 8 of the 9 cogs, adjust rear der-go ride. The 9s cogs are a wee bit thinner than Campagnolo 9s cogs but it works fine. You could also get a set of 'RED" spacers from Wheels manufacturing for the Veloce 9s cogset, that would make the spacing exactly like Campagnolo 8s spacing.

deanster
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
There are two campy cassette hub spline patterns:
The older 'EXA drive' ones are not the same as 10 speed,
the spline pattern isn't even close, they have 8 wide splines.

Some point around mid 90's "EXA-MK-2" came out in the high end.
This is the same spline pattern used today, with what are called
"ULTRA-DRIVE" cogs. (that refers to the ramping, not the splines)

There are "MK-2" cogsets that are 8 speed, as well as 9speed,
and these fit the current 10 speed hubs.

Gotta luv your campy trivia!

you can download catalogs and service books:
http://www.tuttocampagnolo.com/catalogs.php

attached photo of EXA mark 1 which is different from 10sp:

g

Thank you for the trivia. This is one that I didn't know about. I have the old EXA 8 spd and am runnint a 28 cog (a Canadian company sold them up until the late 90's), rear with the short RD 75mm. It just takes a very careful selection of chain length and a few tweeks on the RD adjustment. Love this site because of the wealth of knowledge and willingness to experiment.

oldpotatoe
02-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Actually 3 lockrings. Steel 8s freehub body. First generation 9s freehub body using a steel or ti axle and last generation 9/10/11 freehub bodies using an oversized aluminum body OR the Centaur based, cart bearing, steel axled hub, formerly a Veloce hub.

At least now Campagnolo cogsets are coming with lockrings again...good.