PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - mech vs elec shifting w/ disc brakes?

dan_hudson
05-29-2020, 01:19 PM
Any opinions on mechanical vs electric shifters when including disc brakes?

I ask the question as there is only so much space in the hoods. Have to think the cylinder, etc for discs take up more real estate than a pivot to pull a cable for regular brakes. Does trying to jam an index mech in there too lead to compromises? Is electric (a couple of switches being smaller than cable indexing, right?) + disc the way to go for it all to work well, be compact, etc?

Any comments on non-electric + disc Campy or Shimano shifters?

For background, currently two disc road bikes in our household but both are also Di2 - DA9100 and Shimano 785.

ltwtsculler91
05-29-2020, 01:44 PM
I have small hands, thus I wouldn't go disc unless it was electronic (or maybe SRAM mech).

All my bikes are currently rim, but I'm planning a new gravel bike and it'll be either Di2 or eTap disc. I've borrowed friends Shimano Ultegra R8020 bikes for a few rides and I can never get comfortable with the large mechanical shifters, they're just too wide for most bars and my hands.

The SRAM stuff isn't too bad, just tall and visually awkward, so I don't love the looks even if in hand they feel quite similar to my existing Red levers.

buckfifty
05-29-2020, 02:39 PM
I have small hands, thus I wouldn't go disc unless it was electronic (or maybe SRAM mech).

All my bikes are currently rim, but I'm planning a new gravel bike and it'll be either Di2 or eTap disc. I've borrowed friends Shimano Ultegra R8020 bikes for a few rides and I can never get comfortable with the large mechanical shifters, they're just too wide for most bars and my hands.

The SRAM stuff isn't too bad, just tall and visually awkward, so I don't love the looks even if in hand they feel quite similar to my existing Red levers.

the latest gen di2 disc shifters don't appear to have that weird "hump" that the mechanical version has

romalor
05-29-2020, 02:41 PM
agree and I do have tall thin hands like a obw ( people tell me this all the time )

I had first generation non serie Shimano mechanical shifting disc levers R685 , hated it.

ltwtsculler91
05-29-2020, 02:51 PM
the latest gen di2 disc shifters don't appear to have that weird "hump" that the mechanical version has

Exactly. The Di2 Hydro shifters are wonderful with the same shape as the regular Di2 cable shifters

benb
05-29-2020, 03:13 PM
I'm not shopping but I'd be inclined to go mech + hydro disk just for the giant hoods if it meant more room for my hands.

I wear 2XL or 3XL gloves for cycling depending on the brand FWIW and can palm a basketball on a good day... both my road bikes have shimano Mechanical + rim brake hoods, and I would happily go for bigger hoods, I can't get all my fingers around the hoods, my ring finger & little finger generally can't fit and I've always been worried it's contributed to extra wear and tear on my wrists because of the poor ergonomic position.

In terms of elegance for sure electric shifting + hydro makes a ton of sense. It makes me wonder if we could get a brake by wire system eventually, though I'm not sure I'd trust the bike companies to pull that off safely!