PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need carbon / aero wheels

Ozz
05-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Got a thought in my head on this morning's ride....don't need a new bike, but some new wheels would be cool....Campy Bora WTO 60's at PBK...with cassette under $2000 (before tax and shipping).....stupid idea or a way to scratch an itch?

Currently riding some 2004 Campy Eurus.....

ultraman6970
05-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Is your money :P everything has to do with the riding you do, if you do 15 mph average all the time probably even an old legnano roma will do just fine.

Peronally my issue with carbon rims is that when they are done they are done and are not cheap to replace, regular wheels can last easy 40 years at the time to swap the rims. either way, enjoy your new wheels :P

ps: i have one set of thoe euros tubulars and are just fantastic.

robt57
05-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Self gratification mostly. If you an afford and want, do it I say.

I just popped on some old 404s on my 85 Saronni Nago for a retro day ride. Will dawn my retro poser rainbow jersey too.

When I was in my 40s, I found my then 404s not much help unless average speed were quite high. Especially a hard attack when already over 20.

Averages I could not come close to today 20+ years later...

Kirk007
05-29-2020, 01:29 PM
They look cool. They sound different. New experiences are fun.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

martl
05-29-2020, 01:31 PM
Is your money :P everything has to do with the riding you do, if you do 15 mph average all the time probably even an old legnano roma will do just fine.

Peronally my issue with carbon rims is that when they are done they are done and are not cheap to replace, regular wheels can last easy 40 years at the time to swap the rims. either way, enjoy your new wheels :P

ps: i have one set of thoe euros tubulars and are just fantastic.

My lightweights are about 21 years old and I see no reason whatsoever why I wouldn't use them in 2040.

It was the Advent of dual pivot brakes which have very short levers that made superthin brake pads necessary. This in consequence meant harder rubber compound, so now the rim is the consumable instead of the brake pad. Oh progress!

azrider
05-29-2020, 01:36 PM
They look cool.

Thread. Over. :p:p

(says the guy with carbon wheels on all my bikes;))

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 02:02 PM
I went through that mental debate when I was treating myself to a milestone bday last year...

Given my debate was wheels vs new bike and not old bike vs new bike I went with carbon wheels...and they do look cool. [emoji41]

This year I treated myself to some fancy shoes and new pedals...still not having the new vs old bike or even another bike debate....I am anticipating so I started a “new bike fund” for when I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

many_styles
05-29-2020, 02:04 PM
They look cool: I’d like a set of these! https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium-pro-carbon-sl-ust-rr0964.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lookout2015
05-29-2020, 02:07 PM
You can get them for that from US retailers around the same price

https://www.texascyclesport.com/campagnolo-bora-wto-60-2-way-fit-rim-wheelset-limited-time-offer/

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=617&products_id=5094&zenid=m8c6vtea4sqrgllam7atn85mr6

For a couple of examples (depending exactly which configuration you’re after). Avoid the drama around shipping, customs, etc

tuxbailey
05-29-2020, 02:14 PM
Currently facing the same debate.

Answer:

Self-gratification since it will not improve any performance as far as my ability is concerned.

fogrider
05-29-2020, 02:22 PM
I got a pair of carbon wheels about 10 plus years ago and have not looked back. I now have 5 pairs...correction, 6 pairs of carbon wheelsets. Aero is not just a high alert thing, even at 15 mph, they just glide. Carbon rims are just stiffer...they feel responsive and fast...If you put power down stiff wheels means more of it gets to moving forward... the more power you put down, the more you will appreciate carbon wheels! And yes, they look cool...[emoji41]

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

lavi
05-29-2020, 02:28 PM
It's about the look and sound (mainly). I'm sure there's some performance benefit(s). But who cares really. Where I still racing, I wouldn't race on them. In the pack, no super benefit.

I think that wheels, carbon or otherwise, are the biggest upgrade to make to a bike.

Don't worry about durability. The WTOs should last a VERY long time.

Competitive Cyc has them for $1,800. Ask me how I know. :banana:

Tickdoc
05-29-2020, 02:30 PM
You only need them if you want to look cooler and go faster.

Ozz
05-29-2020, 02:31 PM
Currently facing the same debate.

Answer:

Self-gratification since it will not improve any performance as far as my ability is concerned.

Sadly, I am afraid this is my situation as well......:cool:

Glad to hear they are at US retailers for comparable price....ended up at PBK due to searching for 10sp cassette

cgates66
05-29-2020, 03:25 PM
Aesthetics, if you like the look, and wheel stiffness if you are stronger (sort of - depends on spoke choices and hub design also). The aero benefits are real but overstated in most riding conditions. The wheel stiffness "benefits" are real and obvious.

I'm running HED Vanquish 6 rims (made in USA!) with 28c tires on White Industries hubs and love the combo. They look super cool without the big HED logo (which can be removed), are very stiff, and as far as I can tell are "aero" - their data sheet certainly says they are anyway.

I've run rim-brake 60s in the past, and those worked too. Make sure you use soft carbon-specific brake pads and they should last a while. Enve has data on this, I think.

Carbon may provide for a wider tire channel, which may or may not be a benefit to rolling resistance but is definitely a benefit to handling with wider tire (less "squirm").

eddief
05-29-2020, 04:40 PM
i have been resistant to believe that carbon wheels for my type of riding would be worth the bucks. when i bought my roubaix in 2019 did i want to pay 1200 more to get the Expert over the Comp model - only real difference was carbon vs alloy. i got the Comp with alloy. then i replaced the alloys with slightly better alloy, those being Ritchey wcs Zetas - 1730 grams. really like those wheels, a bit heavy but love the quick engagement for my erratic pedaling style.

but then - the other day i bought the carbon DT Swiss 1450 PRC (1540 grams) set put on sale by eric baumannnnn. i can't describe really well or quantify my ride today on those wheels. these are not super deep so i think i am missing the sound factor. but the hubs are ridiculously quiet and even with 18 tooth ratchet rings the engagement works great for me. no need to upgrade to 36 tooth ratchets.

wheels seemed to smooth out chip pavement and not smooth out cracks. but then there were the many times i stepped on it in or out of the saddle and I "think" that's where the difference is. they seemed smooth and fast. subtle but fun. they appear to transfer power more efficiently than anything alloy i've ridden over the last 20 years.

maybe placebo or maybe i want to justify the splurge on something i didn't need, but these hoops are different and good. could have been disappointed but was not. stoked and glad i took a shot.

fignon's barber
05-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Got a thought in my head on this morning's ride....don't need a new bike, but some new wheels would be cool....Campy Bora WTO 60's at PBK...with cassette under $2000 (before tax and shipping).....stupid idea or a way to scratch an itch?

If the purchase makes you feel good and it doesn't come at the expense of depriving your spouse or children, go for it. Buying bike stuff is never really about needing something, it's a hobby.

makoti
05-29-2020, 05:32 PM
I have a set of Enve's. I got a set of Shamals. Rarely ride the Enve's anymore. Pretty close to what you're thinking about. Just another data point...

Mikej
05-29-2020, 06:01 PM
If you hate gaining speed while coasting uphill against the wind, don’t buy them.

mcteague
05-29-2020, 06:06 PM
I keep looking at WTO 45s for some reason. I don’t race so speed is not really an issue. If they gave an improved riding feel compared to my Easton R90SL/WI T11/CXRAY wheels I might be tempted.

Tim

Ozz
05-29-2020, 06:29 PM
If the purchase makes you feel good and it doesn't come at the expense of depriving your spouse or children, go for it. Buying bike stuff is never really about needing something, it's a hobby.
The only thing(s) it deprives me of is spending it on other wants:

New gas grill
Trailer hitch for SUV
Espresso machine / grinder

:cool:

NHAero
05-29-2020, 06:41 PM
The lightweight alloy wheels I bought here a few hundred miles ago - R90SL rims to Tune hubs with Pillar rainbow anodized bladed spokes, running Conti GP5000 tires - feel like they've livened up the ride on my Firefly. They took 1-1/4 lbs off the already nice wheels and tires that were on the bike. They also look great! I knew it was an indulgence, for sure. I'm riding faster than I have in a decade, but it's because I've been riding more.

Hilltopperny
05-29-2020, 07:05 PM
I have a couple of sets of nice carbon wheels and a few sets of nice alloy wheels. They all improved the ride of my bikes and in turn got me out riding more. A nice set of wheels is money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vqdriver
05-29-2020, 07:30 PM
yes, a lot of it is the look. nothing wrong with that btw...

Toddtwenty2
05-29-2020, 07:39 PM
Get the espresso machine and grinder. That will make you faster, and your spouse will enjoy it.

giverdada
05-29-2020, 09:47 PM
i just bought a set of carbon wheels because my girlfriend told me it was a good deal, she found the deal, and my expenses have been down since tax return and this pandemic time. the wheels are not all that fancy, but they're more than i've ever spent on my bike at a time, whether frameset or wheel set or whatever. yes, i operate on a low bike budget because i hate spending money and i don't make a ton of it and family first and i'm not very good at riding bikes anyway. all that aside, i'm digging the new wheels.

pursuing them was a vanity project from the get-go, and i recognized that, and didn't care much for performance (i don't race or have strong wattage) or weight (i ride a Strong steel frame) or improvement over my self-built alloy wheels (Tune hubs and Sapim Race to Velocity A23 rims). i just wanted something deep and black to put the rubber on.

they look wicked.

they ride nicely. the hubs are power tap-branded, the rims are reynolds methinks. the spokes are black. now i have wattage readouts and have a whole 'nother data point to learn about. they are fast. no problems in cross winds. eager to roll in all other winds. remind me pleasantly of my old campy scirocco alloy wheels - those things rolled forever, and dove downhill and through turns. these wheels are like that. i hit 80km/h the other day just coasting down a hill on a random backroad. niiice. they are not as smooth as my wide-rim A23s, but they are lighter- and faster-feeling.

one thing i did want to mention is that my last order from ProBikeKit arrived today. they 'dispatched' it on April 14. i'm not great at math, but that's an effin long time for two tires to get here from pro bike kit. and it arrived in a men's beauty product box. those brits. so funny.

anyway, i look forward to pictures of your whip once you slap those fancy wheels on. don't forget the valve extenders! :banana:

nortx-Dave
05-29-2020, 10:54 PM
I've got a set of WTO 33s incoming on my new custom Bishop....due to arrive in the next couple of months. I've got Zondas on my Lynskey now.....and have ONLY ever ridden alloy wheels.

I. Can't. Wait.

tuxbailey
05-29-2020, 11:08 PM
@giverdada

That is a great endorsement. I am more or less in the same boat as you. And you are pushing me toward diving in :)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ozz
05-30-2020, 07:14 AM
so....how does the "tubeless" thing work...sorry, I have not shopped for new wheels in 10+ years....

Can you use regular clincher tires, or are special ones needed?
Can you just use tubes like a "normal" rim?
What is it supposed to do....besides get rid of the tube and add the goo?

oldpotatoe
05-30-2020, 07:23 AM
so....how does the "tubeless" thing work...sorry, I have not shopped for new wheels in 10+ years....

1)Can you use regular clincher tires, or are special ones needed?
2)Can you just use tubes like a "normal" rim?
3)What is it supposed to do....besides get rid of the tube and add the goo?

1)-yes, use a clincher tire or 'tubeless' with a tube
2)-yes
3)-got a couple of hours and a TON of internet band width? There are 'conversations' about this technology, that came from MTBs, that would fill a stadium. MANY MANY opinions..some like it, some don't. BUT, you can run less psi w/o worrying about a snake bite type flat..
On the road? I donno, for the mess, I think a tubular is still a better idea for a road bike.

SerottaBrad
05-30-2020, 12:26 PM

I love the look of my Reynolds rims, but the braking on it leaves me less than satisfied and sometimes scary descending. So it almost seems like a tradeoff that you're faster b/c of aero but scared about needing to stop if needed....

I have tried the Reynolds Blue (squealed like a banshee and now using Swiss Prince Blacks that are better but grabby)

Any tips?

makoti
05-30-2020, 12:49 PM

Can you use regular clincher tires, or are special ones needed?
Can you just use tubes like a "normal" rim?
What is it supposed to do....besides get rid of the tube and add the goo?

I'm a recent convert & I'm pretty damn pleased. 3 punctures, all sealed themselves. Never even had to stop moving.

To go tubeless:
There are special tires & rims/wheels. You can't make a non-tubeless tire or wheel tubeless. Or, I should say, you shouldn't. Not safe.
Yep, if you decide you don't like tubeless, the wheels work just fine with tubes.
It allows you to ride at lower psi for a smoother, more comfortable ride. No tube, no fear of a pinch flat, so you can go much lower than with tubes. Fewer punctures (the roads I ride on were giving me a puncture a month, at least. Since swapping over, 1400 miles worth, I've had one flat that caused me to stop & I was on tubes for that ride)