PDA

View Full Version : Euro Driving

Birddog
05-15-2004, 12:37 PM
A couple of us are going to be driving from Stuttgart to Grenoble, or more precisely, Bourg d'Oisans. Does anybody have a recomended route? In looking at the maps there are several possible routes, time is our first priority, scenery second.

Thanks,
Birddog

saab2000
05-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Try to get Michelin maps of the route you are trying to take.

Also, do not speed in France.

Bill Bove
05-16-2004, 03:57 PM
"Do not speed in France" :no: Yeah, the French don't like fast Americans :banana:

Dekonick
05-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Last time I was driving in Europe I found it to be much more liberating to take secondary roads... The highways are soo... well fast... that if you are driving you wont see much.

Speeds:
In France the max on highways is 140kph
In Belgium its 120kph

I believe Germany now has a speed on the autobahn - so I wouldnt recomend pulling an Andretti... - I believe its 120kph too...

Other tips: LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT whenever coming to intersections - there is a screwey law that a car merging on your right has the right of way and THEY TAKE IT. (unless there is an orange diamond with a black center sign, then there is no priority)

There is no right turn on red.

Parking on streets alternates by the month; you can park on one side even months, then the other side on odd months (so if you see a nice parking spot on the curb that has no cars, but the other side is packed... dont do it) this is most often seen in residential neighborhoods

in tunnels they usually have speed camera's - you get a nice souvenier a few months later in the mail....if you speed.

ummm - its a great place! Have a blast and if you make it to Belgium (sounds like you wont) try a nice Dekoninck beer...its yummmy after a nice ride. :beer:

Dekonick
05-16-2004, 04:33 PM
oh yeah... bring your bike... gas is $5 a gallon

gaxi
05-17-2004, 05:06 AM
@Dekonick: we have no speed limit here in Germany on the Autobahn - be careful, the Germans are driving like crazy ! It's not really funny to see a car appearing with about 220 km/h in the mirror...