PDA

View Full Version : Finally! New Gravel King tread content

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 06:46 AM
This is the tire i've been waiting for. Perfect for much of the riding i do. I've been after that goldilocks tire for the gravel bike and i'm hopeful this will be it. i really like the gravel kings, but the regulars are just too slick for some stuff, and the SK's are overly knobbed for pavement, even though i've ridden gobs of paved miles on them. These should slot in there perectly.

Called the SS. Releasing in June. Many sizes available, but importantly to me, in a 32c, which is about as much meat as i like on the bone for "gravel".

I really like Panaracer. They are doing a good job keeping up with current trends and demands, and producing affordable offerings compared to some of the other popular choices.

https://www.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/panaracer-gravelking-ss.jpg?w=1400

dpdan93
05-28-2020, 06:48 AM
yeah I agree! I started with regular gk's and thought it was too similar to my road tire. Have the sk version now and it's not too bad on the road but these seem like the perfect solution.

weisan
05-28-2020, 06:53 AM
Awesome!

This is the panaracer pasela reincarnation 100 X better!

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 07:01 AM
Awesome!

This is the panaracer pasela reincarnation 100 X better!

yes, exactly right. haha, the only reason i found these is i was searching the panaracer site to see if they had created an updated pasela that could be run tubeless, and now i see these.

weisan
05-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Angry pal, let's ride em' at our next D2R2 gathering!

dbnm
05-28-2020, 07:19 AM
Currently available here
https://panaracerusa.com/product/gravelking-ss-folding-gravel-tires/

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 07:20 AM
Angry pal, let's ride em' at our next D2R2 gathering!

done!

ColonelJLloyd
05-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Cool.

Interesting that they even offer a non-tubeless 28mm version.

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 07:37 AM
Currently available here
https://panaracerusa.com/product/gravelking-ss-folding-gravel-tires/

That's a pre-order, but yep, looks like they are a GO!

Cool.

yea, you could (and can) get paselas right down to 23's if i recall correctly. i have 25c paselas on my Gunnar and many, they are a very capable tire for lots of conditions.

dbnm
05-28-2020, 07:39 AM
The site shows the tires in stock as of right now.

Velocipede
05-28-2020, 07:58 AM
Panaracer has always made excellent tires. I am big fan of them. Their C3 road tires are very nice and of course the GravelKing tires, can't talk about gravel without talking about them.

Likes2ridefar
05-28-2020, 08:02 AM
WTB byway is similar. I’ve been very happy with it in 40mm.

NHAero
05-28-2020, 08:06 AM
I wonder what these weigh and how well they roll on pavement. I've been running 700x37 Vittoria Voyageur Hyper (successor to the Randonneur Hyper) on my Anderson for several years. They are 395g, and amongst the best rolling tires in tests. And seem to last well and be cut/flat resistant. I'm not rising single track with them, but certainly dirt roads. At D2R2 there were only two spots where I briefly wished I had a knobbier tire.

I don't see them on the Vittoria web site :-( but have two more pair in the boxes.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/vittoria-voyager-hyper-2016#weight

robt57
05-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Weights?

That triple edge runner looks like it'll add some pork...

thirdgenbird
05-28-2020, 09:08 AM
I like what I see. I do think a 26x2.1 and maybe a wider 650b could de fun for old mountain bikes and commuting.

benb
05-28-2020, 09:19 AM
I'd love to try them back to back with the regular non-treaded ones (which I have on my bike right now in 32c).

They're really in that uncanny valley of tread Jobst Brandt would have said doesn't do anything at all.

The only time I notice any loss of traction is pushing off hard from a stop in deep gravel and/or going through fine beach type sand... I can go through the beach type sand fine as long as it's not too deep (an actual beach would be impossible unless right near the water) and that seems more like technique than tire. I remember not being able to ride through that type of sand on my MTB either earlier in my riding till I got the trick of it.

I would still be more likely to buy these than the fully treaded ones though... I am on pavement most of the time.

XXtwindad
05-28-2020, 09:24 AM
I wonder what these weigh and how well they roll on pavement. I've been running 700x37 Vittoria Voyageur Hyper (successor to the Randonneur Hyper) on my Anderson for several years. They are 395g, and amongst the best rolling tires in tests. And seem to last well and be cut/flat resistant. I'm not rising single track with them, but certainly dirt roads. At D2R2 there were only two spots where I briefly wished I had a knobbier tire.

I don't see them on the Vittoria web site :-( but have two more pair in the boxes.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/vittoria-voyager-hyper-2016#weight

Excellent review here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dktomqy0QjQ
The reviewer said he would have no problem keeping up with his mates in a paved club ride on these tires.

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 09:25 AM
I'd love to try them back to back with the regular non-treaded ones (which I have on my bike right now in 32c).

They're really in that uncanny valley of tread Jobst Brandt would have said doesn't do anything at all.

The only time I notice any loss of traction is pushing off hard from a stop in deep gravel and/or going through fine beach type sand... I can go through the beach type sand fine as long as it's not too deep (an actual beach would be impossible unless right near the water) and that seems more like technique than tire. I remember not being able to ride through that type of sand on my MTB either earlier in my riding till I got the trick of it.

I would still be more likely to buy these than the fully treaded ones though... I am on pavement most of the time.

when riding in the wet, especially uphill and the dirt get's that greasy, slippery layer, i've found that's where tread is helpful.

i'm a standing type climber too, and i'll allow a decent amount of wheel spin. anecdotally, i think the tread definitely bites faster in dirt than a smooth tread.

benb
05-28-2020, 09:31 AM
when riding in the wet, especially uphill and the dirt get's that greasy, slippery layer, i've found that's where tread is helpful.

i'm a standing type climber too, and i'll allow a decent amount of wheel spin. anecdotally, i think the tread definitely bites faster in dirt than a smooth tread.

No disagreement, just whether this is enough tread to be worthwhile.

AngryScientist
05-28-2020, 09:36 AM

yes, agree on that too. our experiences are probably similar, and we probably ride some of the same stuff, but here in New England, most of the dirt is connected with lots of pavement, so a tire that really shines on pavement and can perform acceptably on dirt is the ticket.

thirdgenbird
05-28-2020, 10:12 AM

That thought makes me wonder how the SK does on pavement.

Jim9112
05-28-2020, 10:29 AM
I believe that I will also be ordering this in a 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim9112
05-28-2020, 10:33 AM
yes, agree on that too. our experiences are probably similar, and we probably ride some of the same stuff, but here in New England, most of the dirt is connected with lots of pavement, so a tire that really shines on pavement and can perform acceptably on dirt is the ticket.

I’m in NH and this has been my experience. A tubeless 32 with a light file tread has been the ticket for me. Every once in a while I hit a sketchy section that gets a little scary but for 90% of my riding I feel like I have plenty of tire.

nmrt
05-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Are these tubeless? could not find info on the website: https://panaracerusa.com/product/gravelking-ss-folding-gravel-tires/

gomango
05-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Cool.

I hope they'll fit on my Della Santa.

I bought a set of Chinook Pass tires for it two years ago and I won't be replacing them.

Jaybee
05-28-2020, 10:48 AM
That thought makes me wonder how the SK does on pavement.

The SK rolls remarkably well on pavement, just wears pretty fast, IME.

dbnm
05-28-2020, 10:51 AM
366g for 35c

drewskey
05-28-2020, 10:53 AM

I have a set of SK 35s that feel super slow on pavement to me coming from the 38 Schwalbe G-One Allround

robt57
05-28-2020, 10:54 AM
I’m in NH and this has been my experience. A tubeless 32 with a light file tread has been the ticket for me. Every once in a while I hit a sketchy section that gets a little scary but for 90% of my riding I feel like I have plenty of tire.

It really is about predominant % surface one traverses IMO as to what level tread tire. I hate dragging more, either weight or rolling fight. Well, rolling fight for longer periods if one does no need the traction, quite so much traction, etc.

I used to limit my 42 tires [regardless of tread] with 100 grams of sealant to 25-30 mile rides if trying to move along at a reasonable pace.. Now I am using smaller for 700s, although still running 47x650 WTB By-ways on one...

Vertical
05-28-2020, 11:07 AM
I know Panaracer makes other brands rebound for their suppleness. I see this as “mechanical grip” in that the casing itself can provide more traction than should be allowed by the tread (up to a point...).

Anyone have thoughts on the casing?

gomango
05-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Yep, same here.

I have two wheelsets for my Monstercross.

A set with the 700x43s and another with 32s.

Same experience for both of these.

Great tires though!

AJosiahK
05-28-2020, 11:17 AM
these lool cool, will def be snagging a pair when I can

dbnm
07-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Has anyone ridden the new SS or SS+ tires yet?

If so, what size and what are your thoughts?

jtakeda
07-09-2020, 10:50 PM
I might be totally off base here but I feel like the Gravel King line has totally revived panaracer in regards to their “panaracer branded” tires.

Sure they make tires for a million other people but for their brand you didn’t hear much about them except for the small dedicated pasela people who hadn’t switched to compass or something else

dbnm
07-09-2020, 11:00 PM
gravel kings cost $50

rene herse cost $80

jtakeda
07-09-2020, 11:01 PM
gravel kings cost $50

rene herse cost $80

They used to be $59.

So you’re disagreeing?

dbnm
07-10-2020, 12:28 AM
Disagreeing with whom?

I just want some feedback on the tires.

marciero
07-10-2020, 05:21 AM
Just curious-how does the width of the GK 48 compare with WTB 47 and SBH 48? IME the SBH are 1-2mm wider than WTB.

genefruit
07-10-2020, 06:51 AM
Has anyone ridden the new SS or SS+ tires yet?

If so, what size and what are your thoughts?

I have the 700x32c size and have put around 100 miles mixed surface on them. I started at psi 55/60 and found the front needed to go lower to better manage loose chip. Worked exactly as I was looking for in light mud situations where GK slicks aren't the best. They don't seem to be significantly slower compared to GK slicks. Haven't tired them in rain where I find the GK SK aren't the best.

Did have some challenges getting them to setup tubeless compared to GK slicks which I find super easy to set. Instead of messing with it further, I just threw some tubes in and have ridden them that way. I'll get around to setting them up tubeless in the coming days.

fogrider
07-11-2020, 12:03 AM
So are these an all-road tire? are these sim to Strada Bianca?

dbnm
07-11-2020, 01:29 AM
yes, see the original post.

wallymann
07-11-2020, 08:05 AM
SS+ spec chart. 32s coming in a 360g a bit more portly than similar-sized pasela PTs yes?

ColonelJLloyd
07-11-2020, 08:18 AM
SS+ spec chart. 32s coming in a 360g a bit more portly than similar-sized pasela PTs yes?[/IMG]

Chart says 320g, right? My 700x32 slicks weigh 290g IIRC.

wallymann
07-11-2020, 08:32 AM
Chart says 320g, right? My 700x32 slicks weigh 290g IIRC.

sorry, nope...it is 360g -- i pasted the wrong image URL...since corrected above!

Also I just weighed a factory fresh pasela PT in 32 --> ~335g, so SS+ are ~25g.heavier