PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jimmy Cobb

XXtwindad
05-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Everyone has their Jazz Rosetta Stone. For some, it's the ethereal spirituality of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." For others, the hard bop marriage of "Bird and Diz." Or the classic "Ellington at Newport." I'll take "Mingus Ah Um" over just about anything else.

But not "Kind of Blue." Call it watered sown California style "Cool Jazz," if you will. It's a masterpiece. One quick hit of the opening to "Freddie Freeloader," and I was hooked.

Jimmy Cobb was the last surviving musician on that album. Miles. Bill Evans. Trane. Cannonball. Paul Chambers. Wynton Kelly. And now Cobb.

In your honor sir: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=freddie+freeloader&view=detail&mid=D22E2A010D5DEA46FF1FD22E2A010D5DEA46FF1F&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dfreddie%2bfreeloader%26form%3dE DGTCT%26qs%3dSC%26cvid%3d1994de845dad4fbab1b583206 2a35b93%26refig%3ddc769e785dc14a4aab924c8bd2febc8f %26cc%3dUS%26setlang%3den-US%26elv%3dAY3%2521uAY7tbNNZGZ2yiGNjfNuqNeuTBro2FD FbLvNYoPtxHYddh0gFi1pF2C8xLCvW4RLjja4VX6WDStY2Oi61 U0pL3u01yFALxjAj5dP%2521DP6%26plvar%3d0%26PC%3dDCT S

Hawker
05-28-2020, 09:01 AM
Yes indeed, largest selling jazz album of all time. Jimmy played with everybody and was playing great right up to the end. Plus, everyone who ever met him says he was a generous and cordial man. The jazz world has lost a lot of giants in the last six months sad to say.

Dave Ferris
05-28-2020, 01:16 PM
Even though people are waxing nostalgic over his participation on "Kind of Blue" - and rightly so, the best selling Jazz record and one that changed the course of Jazz History - this is my favorite record of him playing with Miles "-- Live at the Blackhawk" vols. 1 &2

RIP ! What a legacy he leaves !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=M3UmWIDCgM0&feature=emb_logo

Reading a post by the venerable pianist Benny Green on FB :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around 1998 or '99 I was on a tour with Wallace Roney's Kind Of Blue project which the late Geri Allen was unable to make. The rest of the band included either Gary Bartz or Vincent Herring depending on which tour, Mark Turner, Buster Williams and Jimmy Cobb.

One day at lunch I asked Jimmy if he had one personal favorite of all the great records he'd made to date, not expecting, but nevertheless hoping for an answer. Often older players can't recall the specific titles of albums they've played on, or they may have even momentarily forgotten the occurrence of some of their own recorded milestones - records which musicians the world over have studied.

More often, veteran recording artists prefer not to single-out a sole record as being their "best representation". Art Blakey used to say when asked which he felt was his best album, "I have that one yet to make".

But when asked on this particular afternoon Jimmy didn't hesitate - "Definitely! The one with Cannon and Trane where we played 'Limehouse Blues'".

This album was recorded just one month prior to KIND OF BLUE, with the exact same personnel minus Miles Davis -

Julian "Cannonball" Adderley - alto saxophone
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Jimmy Cobb - drums

recorded in Chicago on 2/3/59

This album was reissued as CANNONBALL AND COLTRANE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't the 'barn burner' Limehouse but my fave off that record. As Classic as it gets. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=zJ5KtOOaKUM&feature=emb_logo

XXtwindad
05-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Even though people are waxing nostalgic over his participation on "Kind of Blue" - and rightly so, the best selling Jazz record and one that changed the course of Jazz History - this is my favorite record of him playing with Miles "-- Live at the Blackhawk" vols. 1 &2

RIP ! What a legacy he leaves !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=M3UmWIDCgM0&feature=emb_logo

Reading a post by venerable pianist Benny Green on FB (his posts are often longer in length smile )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around 1998 or '99 I was on a tour with Wallace Roney's Kind Of Blue project which the late Geri Allen was unable to make. The rest of the band included either Gary Bartz or Vincent Herring depending on which tour, Mark Turner, Buster Williams and Jimmy Cobb.

One day at lunch I asked Jimmy if he had one personal favorite of all the great records he'd made to date, not expecting, but nevertheless hoping for an answer. Often older players can't recall the specific titles of albums they've played on, or they may have even momentarily forgotten the occurrence of some of their own recorded milestones - records which musicians the world over have studied.

More often, veteran recording artists prefer not to single-out a sole record as being their "best representation". Art Blakey used to say when asked which he felt was his best album, "I have that one yet to make".

But when asked on this particular afternoon Jimmy didn't hesitate - "Definitely! The one with Cannon and Trane where we played 'Limehouse Blues'".

This album was recorded just one month prior to KIND OF BLUE, with the exact same personnel minus Miles Davis -

Julian "Cannonball" Adderley - alto saxophone
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Jimmy Cobb - drums

recorded in Chicago on 2/3/59

This album was reissued as CANNONBALL AND COLTRANE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't the 'barn burner' Limehouse but my fave off that record. As Classic as it gets. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=zJ5KtOOaKUM&feature=emb_logo

Thanks for the post. I hadn’t heard of that recording. I’ll have to check it out. Big Cannonball and Bill Evans fan (didn’t see him listed). It took me some work to get into Trane. It wasn’t easy. His stuff demands a different level of attention than the more melodic artists. In the same vein (albeit to a lesser extent) Ornette Coleman with “The Shape of Things to Come.”

jtbadge
05-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Mingus Ah Um totally rips. but yes, definitely not as 'cool.'

maxcolumbus
05-28-2020, 01:35 PM
He played the Blue Note in NYC this past February. I really wanted to go see him but it just didn't happen. He was doing Kind of Blue with his band. Missed opportunity for sure.. such sad news. RIP Jimmy.

Dave Ferris
05-28-2020, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the post. I hadn’t heard of that recording. I’ll have to check it out. Big Cannonball and Bill Evans fan (didn’t see him listed).

Yes Bill is on "Kind of Blue", not the Blackhawk dates or "Live in Chicago". That features the other genius pianist, Wynton Kelly.:cool:

Waldo62
05-28-2020, 02:52 PM
My fav