PDA

View Full Version : Neck problems

paulh
01-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi, For a few years I've had some neck problems.... crepitus(derived from the term, 'old and decrepit'), pain, tightness... mainly in the trapezius. It has not been necessarily during or after rides, so I don't think it's position related. I've completed some double centuries and the Triple Bypass in past years without much problem. Now I'm in my Minnesota winter mode doing some spinning on the trainer and trying to do some basic fitness maintenance and core strength stuff, trying to get ready for the upcoming season, after a couple years with only about 1000 miles(again, overuse-position type problems don't seem likely with such low mileage). Sports docs in the past have seen on x-ray some narrowing in the interstitial disc space of a couple vertebrae, but nothing that causes much pain or numbness down an arm, etc. I've had some sessions of a traction machine and electrical stimulation at the p.t. I've done the over the door water bag hanging traction thing.

Right now it just seems that the main problem is that the traps are in constant pain and tightness. From sun up to sun down they are tight. They just_will_NOT_let _go!

I will probably hit the sports docs and p.t.'s again, but I need to get serious about resolving the problem. I will seek out a massage therapist for some trigger point type work, I think. But, I'm about at the end of my rope and will try anything..... yoga, tai chi, meditation, vicodin, scientology, etc.

Any advice, experiences, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tailwinds
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Massage is a great idea!

Also... what type of pillow are you sleeping on, and in what position are you sleeping? Sleeping on your belly is not good. Also, a cervical pillow could be worth a try to keep your neck aligned at night. FWIW, it has helped me, and some of my massage clients have seen some benefits from using one, too.

Often, neck pain is occupation-related. Think about what you do on the job and how that might relate to your pain. Are you sitting at a desk a lot -- maybe on the forum? ;) It's important to have your monitor at eye-level so you're not straining your neck constantly to look down. Also, do you drive a lot? Your position in the car is important, too. You should be upright and not laid-back. Good posture is crucial.

Just some thoughts...

marle
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Practice touching your toes for extended periods of time. I find that it gives me relief for my neck problems.

paulh
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do have a cervical pillow and mostly sleep on one side or the other. My desk position has been reviewed by our ergonomics expert for the office. I do drive a fair amount. I realize some postural problems from younger days have not helped much, so I'm always, at least trying, to monitor my posture throughout the day.

I'll try the toe touching thing. Couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for the couple of responses.

andy mac
01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I was going to suggest what tailwind did.

For the last few years I’ve been having all sorts of problems from my calf to my neck on my left side.

Finally discovered the problems are stemming from my lower back – it’s basically seized up. Amazingly I couldn’t really tell as it just felt natural. Duh.

A chiro and acupuncturist working tandem on me has helped a lot combined with yoga and changing the way I sleep from my front to my side.

I now try to start my day with this move below, only takes a couple of minutes. Seems to really help.

http://www.samadhi-yoga.com/sunsalute/index.html

all the best.

:beer:

Andy.

rpm
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Paul, where in Minnesota do you live? If you're in the metro area, I could give you the name of a terrific physical therapist who has helped me tremendously. Among other things, he is expert at "positional release" techniques that relieve knotted-up muscles and spasms. The technique is that he puts your body in the correct position, and you yourself apply some very gentle movement, and the knots release. I had multiple compression fractures in my back and my muscles tightened up to protect my back and they wouldn't release. With these positional releases they finally loosened up. I still go back to see him once or twice a year when I tighten up--I should go back soon, because I've got that winter tightness, too.

catulle
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I tried posting this before to no avail. Maybe this time. I can think of two things.

First, sit on a bench and extend your arms down at some 45 degrees with palms facing forward. Stretch your arms down as if pushing yourself up from the bench. Pulling down with your arms, bend your head down as if you wanted to touch your chest with your chin. You ought to feel the muscles on the sides and back of your neck stretching. Move your head slowly to the side and down. Keep your mind on the muscles you're stretching. Do it several times, always mindful of the muscles you're stretching. Do it with your head bent to the other side. It works for me.

Also, blood pressure medication with Beta-blockers seem to work on the opposite direction of excercise. When your blood pressure goes down as you're excercising the muscles on the back of your neck cramp something awful.

A good PT is a blessing. I hope you feel better soon.

paulh
01-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks to all who commented. I've got some new things to try.

Allez!
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
I've had the same issues - seems to be seasonal for me (winter).
Heat packs gave temporary relief.
One morning I woke up with my ear on my shoulder - I had slept with my neck bent, muscles were inflamed and I could not straighten my neck - most painful thing that's ever happened to me -a muscle relaxant was the only thing for it. Fortunately I could walk to Dr's (looking like a freak of nature -couldn't drive since I could turn my head to pull out of the driveway).

A co-worker said she had the same sort of problem after sleeping in a cold room.
Since then I've tried to either keep the temp up, or dress warmly for bed.
Since then I haven't had a major issue (fingers crossed).
I know I used to curl up a lot when sleeping, so I think this has helped.
Hope it is that simple for you.