PDA

View Full Version : OT: Haircuts

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 12:04 PM
OK - the elephant in the room for me is starting to be.....Haircuts. I always go a little nuts when I feel like I need a haircut and can't get one soon. It's now WAY past 'soon'. Thinking about getting an Oster Classic 76 clipper with a 3-1/2 (3/8" length) and a 3-3/4 blade (1/2" length).

It's feasible, but also a scary proposition. One false move and I can see myself undergoing a self-quarantine for at least another ~6 weeks or so...:eek:

How's this working out for y'all?

Ozz
05-27-2020, 12:07 PM
love it....not had a haircut since February....feel like it is 1982 again (when I would get my haircut twice a year).

;)

eippo1
05-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Been using a Wahl for the past 20 years. Usually easier to start with shorter lengths, but if you want to leave the top longer just make sure to fade the sides and back in all the way around. Common newb mistake is to do the sides and forget about the back and leave a ridge.

Also holding your hand flat against the back of the neck as a guide is surprisingly accurate for getting a straight line there.

mt2u77
05-27-2020, 12:20 PM
Just slap your bike helmet on and buzz off whatever sticks out the holes / sides.

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Just slap your bike helmet on and buzz off whatever sticks out the holes / sides.
Bike helmet too big. I have a smaller bowl for that....;)

EDS
05-27-2020, 12:27 PM
I bought a pair of clippers, stuck a number 4 guard on it, and let my daughters have at it. Required a fair amount of clean-up after but they really enjoyed it and I got my haircut! Mine came with an attachment that let me easily trim the hair around the ears to a shorter length. Just make sure you use the left/right side attachment on the right side!

Dave
05-27-2020, 12:30 PM
I've cut my own hair every 2-3 weeks for almost 30 years now. Having curly hair makes it easier.

David Tollefson
05-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Been doing my own for about 10 years. Better results than the barber college. #3 guard up the sides, #8 guard up the back, and either hand guided with clippers or scissors on top, tapered in. I get some help from my wife to even up the back.

C40_guy
05-27-2020, 12:50 PM
It's feasible, but also a scary proposition. One false move and I can see myself undergoing a self-quarantine for at least another ~6 weeks or so...:eek:

Been doing this for three years now, and I can say, without fear of contradiction, that it's difficult to screw it up if you leave the guard on.

I can also say, based on information from a reliable source, that even a single pass without the guard will provide considerable entertainment for your fellow employees, family members, even the family pet.

Note -- don't step out of the shower and "touch up" the trim you just did before showering. A lot of hair will fall into the sink and you will momentarily be confused as to its source...

redir
05-27-2020, 01:36 PM
I haven't cut mine in some ten years now :D

Elefantino
05-27-2020, 01:41 PM
My wife cut mine (for the first time) and it looks great. Took an hour but the results were worth it.

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 01:57 PM
WOW! All of y'all have had pretty good luck I see with all this. Better than I was expecting, frankly. So, a couple of questions:

Been doing my own for about 10 years. Better results than the barber college. #3 guard up the sides, #8 guard up the back, and either hand guided with clippers or scissors on top, tapered in. I get some help from my wife to even up the back.
I'm confused about the various terminologies: I think of i) blades, and ii) guards (or the comb attachment that fits over the blade). The Oster 76 clipper that I'm considering comes with both #000 (0.5 mm cut length) and #1 (2.4 mm cut) which are WAY too short for me. If I used say the #1 blade, apparently I can use a #5 guard/comb to get an overall 5/8" cut length. Alternatively, I can use a #3-3/4 blade for a 1/2" cut with no guard/comb.

In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?

I bought a pair of clippers, stuck a number 4 guard on it, and let my daughters have at it. Required a fair amount of clean-up after but they really enjoyed it and I got my haircut! Mine came with an attachment that let me easily trim the hair around the ears to a shorter length. Just make sure you use the left/right side attachment on the right side!What is this? You have a clipper with separate attachment on the side?

Thanks all. Maybe I'll drop the dough and give it a whirl....:eek:

C40_guy
05-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Yea, what's the worst that could happen?

Wait...I've got a photo... :)

David Tollefson
05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?

It's just a standard Wahl hair trimmer, about 2" wide, with the various snap-on guards. That one is corded electric. I also have a narrower one that is cordless that I use no-guard when I let the beard go longer than a few days (the Norelco shaver starts pulling the hairs if they get too long).

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 02:15 PM
It's just a standard Wahl hair trimmer, about 2" wide, with the various snap-on guards. That one is corded electric. I also have a narrower one that is cordless that I use no-guard when I let the beard go longer than a few days (the Norelco shaver starts pulling the hairs if they get too long).OK - thanks. I assume there may be some (~minimal) difference between the Oster and the Wahl guard sizes and that you're using a short blade with the guard. I just took the plunge and ordered a clipper with that same capability as well as a longer blade to go w/o the comb. It's pretty good that my gf is overseas right now.....:D

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Yea, what's the worst that could happen?

Wait...I've got a photo... :)
DON'T go there! ;)

prototoast
05-27-2020, 02:21 PM
I've been cutting my own hair for years, but I have curly hair that's thinning on top, so it will look terrible no matter how much I pay for a haircut. Might as well do it myself.

Bruce K
05-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Got mine yesterday - first one through the door at 7:00 AM

What a mood lifter!!!

BK

EDS
05-27-2020, 03:17 PM
WOW! All of y'all have had pretty good luck I see with all this. Better than I was expecting, frankly. So, a couple of questions:

I'm confused about the various terminologies: I think of i) blades, and ii) guards (or the comb attachment that fits over the blade). The Oster 76 clipper that I'm considering comes with both #000 (0.5 mm cut length) and #1 (2.4 mm cut) which are WAY too short for me. If I used say the #1 blade, apparently I can use a #5 guard/comb to get an overall 5/8" cut length. Alternatively, I can use a #3-3/4 blade for a 1/2" cut with no guard/comb.

What is this? You have a clipper with separate attachment on the side?

Just right and left side specific guards that facilitate tapering around the ear.

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Got mine yesterday - first one through the door at 7:00 AM

What a mood lifter!!!

BKGeez - No one even open around here yet!

Just right and left side specific guards that facilitate tapering around the ear.Hmmm. Have not seen those at all. I'll look into it. Just when I think I have something figured out, there are all these complications, like left-right specific guards, and now there is figuring out the 'fade'....:eek:

I may be in over (or would that be 'under') my head....

FlashUNC
05-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Just let it grow. Last thing anyone needs coming out of quarantine is looking like they spent 6 months taking a machete to their head.

deechee
05-27-2020, 03:53 PM
After my wife lopped way more hair than necessary earlier during the quarantine, I decided to try using the trimmer by myself yesterday. Wasn't bad. A few small spots need touching up but it wasn't that hard.

I always laughed at the Flobee but I will say, this is AWESOME. Yes, there's still lots of hair that scatters, but the internal "vacuum" catches a LOT of hair. And one thing we learned early on is that the adapter lengths #1, #2 etc do NOT match up what most barbers use haha. (I'm usually #1, but #1 on the Remington is REALLY short)

https://trimepil.com/wp-content/uploads/Remington-HC6550.jpg

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 04:29 PM
After my wife lopped way more hair than necessary earlier during the quarantine, I decided to try using the trimmer by myself yesterday. Wasn't bad. A few small spots need touching up but it wasn't that hard.

I always laughed at the Flobee but I will say, this is AWESOME. Yes, there's still lots of hair that scatters, but the internal "vacuum" catches a LOT of hair. And one thing we learned early on is that the adapter lengths #1, #2 etc do NOT match up what most barbers use haha. (I'm usually #1, but #1 on the Remington is REALLY short)
I've got a list with the correct guard lengths! The #1 guard length on the Oster is 1/8" (3mm). That's way short for me!

Just let it grow. Last thing anyone needs coming out of quarantine is looking like they spent 6 months taking a machete to their head.For me right now, it's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other! I've also got a bit of a torn rotator cuff right now, so it's probably going to be more like a dull machete! :D

Spaghetti Legs
05-27-2020, 04:40 PM
I started cutting my own hair when, oddly enough, the barbers at the Navy base I was stationed at wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted.

I have the $20 Wahl clippers with the variety of plastic guards. I start with 6 (5 if I'm feeling spicy), do my whole head with that and then work my way down the scale all the way to the 1 for the sideburns. Probably saved myself a $1000 over the years.

If I'd have done it when I was single, would have saved even more money not having to go on dates!

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 05:10 PM
I started cutting my own hair when, oddly enough, the barbers at the Navy base I was stationed at wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted.

I have the $20 Wahl clippers with the variety of plastic guards. I start with 6 (5 if I'm feeling spicy), do my whole head with that and then work my way down the scale all the way to the 1 for the sideburns. Probably saved myself a $1000 over the years.

If I'd have done it when I was single, would have saved even more money not having to go on dates!Well, it must've worked out for you because you're no longer single.....[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

d_douglas
05-27-2020, 05:26 PM
My kids are telling me I need a cut. Apparently the beard is gross too. I know the greyface ages me by five years. I know I lack a lot of things, but one of them isn’t the lack of hair!

I was doing my best ‘blue steel’ gaze at the dinner table.

Not sure why the photo isn’t upright, but it’s probably all for the better...

RFC
05-27-2020, 06:06 PM
love it....not had a haircut since February....feel like it is 1982 again (when I would get my haircut twice a year).

;)

+1 This! Likewise, haven't had a haircut in 4 months and reliving my 20's. I am fortunate. I'm 65 and have the same mane I had then, although now gray.

I will be doing remote arbitrations and mediations throughout the summer, so I can kind of get away with it.

I'm enjoying it.

When male friends ask, "Why do you grow your hair so long?"

I answer,

"Because I can."

Peter P.
05-27-2020, 06:28 PM
I refrained from trying to cut my own hair in solidarity with those who are suffering more than I am in this pandemic-I have not lost my job, been furloughed, nor been infected like many others. I figure I can wait until my state gives the nod to open the barbershops and endure what little pain a lack of a haircut entails.

As a side note, initially my state (CT) was set to open barbershops on 20 May, with some caveats such as mandatory appointments, masks, and all that other jazz. Earlier opening or any violations were subject to fines and license penalties.

When I learned this, I made an appointment.

Just prior to 20 May, the state delayed barbershop openings to some unspecified time in June.

When I saw the article in the newspaper, I called the barbershop and left a message asking what to do.

Later that day, they left a message for me, essentially stating they were still opening and my appointment was still good.

They hung up, then immediately called back and said, "keep it under your hat".

I don't work like that. I canceled the appointment and will continue to endure my disheveled look.

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 06:41 PM
My kids are telling me I need a cut. Apparently the beard is gross too. I know the greyface ages me by five years. I know I lack a lot of things, but one of them isn’t the lack of hair!

I was doing my best ‘blue steel’ gaze at the dinner table.Yeah, you're done for! GL!

+1 This! Likewise, haven't had a haircut in 4 months and reliving my 20's. I am fortunate. I'm 65 and have the same mane I had then, although now gray.

I will be doing remote arbitrations and mediations throughout the summer, so I can kind of get away with it.

I'm enjoying it.

When male friends ask, "Why do you grow your hair so long?"

I answer,

"Because I can."Same age, but my long hair days ended in the mid-late 70's. I did grow a full COVID-19 beard, so now I get don't get carded at the liquor store. My hair is very wavy so I usually keep it shorter, but now, it doesn't just grow longer, it grows into a helmet. :eek: Not good, and so I am taking drastic measures.

soulspinner
05-27-2020, 06:42 PM

:p

JONATHANPATTIE
05-27-2020, 06:51 PM
Texas,
96 degrees last week......BUZZ CUT

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 06:55 PM
Too traumatic. I'm not that strong....:D

Seramount
05-27-2020, 07:17 PM
have a genuine Flow-bee for sale...

only used once, make offer.

OtayBW
05-27-2020, 07:20 PM
have a genuine Flow-bee for sale...

only used once, make offer.Wrong Forum section. Please see 'Marketplace'. Thank-you. :rolleyes:

ERK55
05-27-2020, 07:32 PM
All this discussion re cutting one’s own hair.
Yet only one picture in the whole thread.

pdmtong
05-28-2020, 11:35 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/6d8598cfb63e98b48636a44c87bab1ee.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/62a90dead8aa9b0ecbe98cfe0123e5b4.jpg

No guides or guards used to get that five zero buzz.

OtayBW
05-28-2020, 12:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/6d8598cfb63e98b48636a44c87bab1ee.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200528/62a90dead8aa9b0ecbe98cfe0123e5b4.jpg

No guides or guards used to get that five zero buzz.

Oopf! 00000 on the one I'm getting and you will need to get some salve to wax your head!

rccardr
05-28-2020, 12:38 PM
I need a cut...bad. Thin on top (like my Dad's at my age) and thick everywhere else (like (Grandpa's).

Plus it's white, resulting in "crazy old man hair" as soon as it dries.

I'd let it grow and just tie it back like I wore it in the 70's, but not a good look when the top's so thin...

benb
05-28-2020, 12:46 PM
I've cut my hair at home 2x now and I cut my son's hair 2x as well.

Saved us about $100 so far.

Not sure I'm going back. There's no line at home. About once out of every 4 times I go get a haircut I'd end up disappointed anyway, and I paid somebody to screw up a really easy/basic cut.

My hair was always pretty short... I usually asked for a #2 (1/4") on the back and sides with a #4 (1/2") on the top, and then the front a little longer. A #5/#6 or cut with scissors.

The first time I cut my own hair I got my wife to do the longer hair in front part and touch it up. 2nd time I didn't bother and just used the #4 for the whole front. I was about to do about 99% of the cut myself and she just cleaned up the edges in the back.

You do have to clean up the mess yourself, that's the only thing.

Long hair is super incompatible with cycling IMO. This latest hair cut was basically I went for a ride, long hair was unbearable as the weather had started to heat up. Got home and immediately got out the trimmer.

azrider
05-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Paceliners be like.......

https://media.tenor.com/images/cabb1445effcf57b12ab32ee52675092/raw

pdmtong
05-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Not sure I'm going back. There's no line at home.

Long hair is super incompatible with cycling IMO.

1) that's a huge reason to cut at home if you can. I cut my hair and cleaned up in less than the time it would take me to get to the barbers from my house.

2) since I am shaving my whole head to 0000 I just bend over a sheet of newspaper and buzz away. shake the paper into the trash an recycle the paper. I guess this works since we still enjoy the reading of a physical paper.

3) these days plenty of people are early white haired, receding or thinning. so none of that implies age but for me keeping it all really short just looks more even.

benb
05-28-2020, 01:40 PM
The whole thing with the line... it costs me about $30 after tip to get my hair cut at the "cheap" places around here that don't do appointments.

It's $40-50 after tip to get into a place that has appointments.

It's a little nuts for a buzz cut, and again, the $30 type places have tremendous turnover and about 1/4 haircuts it gets subtly screwed up.

For $40-50 it's not getting screwed up and likely no long wait but again, $40-50 for a haircut that is barely more than a buzz?

The $30 places have a horrible thing where they do call ahead. But they will quote you 45 minutes on the phone, you walk in after 40 and they say it'll be another 30-45 minutes.

The more the place targets men the better it is.. far fewer men are getting dye jobs and perms and such that tie up a chair for an hour+.

But obviously none of that matters at all if it turns out I can get pretty decent at cutting it myself.

smontanaro
05-28-2020, 01:50 PM
In addition to not having as much on top as I used to, it seems what's left doesn't grow as fast as it did BITD. I'm looking seriously shaggy over the ears, but I still don't have enough for a pandemic ponytail. I thought I might by now. I guess my last haircut was too close to the start of the shutdown.

C40_guy
05-28-2020, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=benb;2728359

[/QUOTE]

Do it out on the deck. :)

I've been doing my own for 3 years now, never going back.

My 29 YO son hasn't seen a barber in a couple of months now, and I think he's going to try the self serve soon...he's tired of wearing caps on zoom calls...

pdmtong
05-28-2020, 07:12 PM
In addition to not having as much on top as I used to, it seems what's left doesn't grow as fast as it did BITD. I'm looking seriously shaggy over the ears, but I still don't have enough for a pandemic ponytail. I thought I might by now. I guess my last haircut was too close to the start of the shutdown.

what I have left grows like crazy. it's not a good look. hence, 00000

weisan
05-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Cut my own hair three weeks ago. Second time in my entire life. First time was a disaster. This time, it turned out looking better than all the haircuts I ever had in the last 20 years except two times when I got the VIP treatment from hairstylists who obviously cut hair for Brad Pitt.

Seriously considering cutting my own hair from now on. It's not that hard.

Hellgate
05-28-2020, 08:15 PM
I'm growing mine until there is a functional vaccine.

OtayBW
05-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Cut my own hair three weeks ago. Second time in my entire life. First time was a disaster. This time, it turned out looking better than all the haircuts I ever had in the last 20 years except two times when I got the VIP treatment from hairstylists who obviously cut hair for Brad Pitt.

Seriously considering cutting my own hair from now on. It's not that hard.What was the technique......for BOTH trials? :D

hokoman
05-28-2020, 09:40 PM
I cut my hair this past weekend. I am an 'essential' worker, so figured I should try and clean it up, and ordered a JW kit from Amazon. I trimmed the front with the scissors and used the thinners - top and sides. Then I trimmed around the ears with the scissors and did my sideburns. I didn't touch the back. I told my 6 year old daughter that daddy got a cut, and it was business up front and party in the back. I didn't want to use the M word because I knew she would use it in her zoom class!

Blue Jays
05-29-2020, 12:42 AM
When we are all able to go out and get haircuts I am somewhat tempted to really splurge on an avant-garde stylist just once to see what it is like and to see firsthand for myself if they do anything really different. It would be kind of fun as a treat.

Asudef
05-29-2020, 02:14 AM
Normally I don't get my hair cut often but its at the point where even I can't stand it.

It's getting to the point where hats can't even hide it, in fact makes me look even more unkempt and getting in the way of my eyes, ears, and neck. Its long and I've never seen my barbers use clippers for the bulk of the cut so I've started looking into razor comb cutting and might do that next week.

Hellgate
05-29-2020, 05:56 AM
When we are all able to go out and get haircuts I am somewhat tempted to really splurge on an avant-garde stylist just once to see what it is like and to see firsthand for myself if they do anything really different. It would be kind of fun as a treat.That will be fun! Be sure to take photos.

Bruce K
05-29-2020, 06:32 AM
When I got mine cut on Tuesday we discussed a hot towel/hot lather/“old fashioned” shave.

We couldn’t figure out how with the mask currently required.

That will be my “splurge” when we do figure it out.

BK

oldpotatoe
05-29-2020, 06:33 AM

HA..mee too..getting pretty ragged but so what..like wearing a mask, it's kinda a 'statement' for this old fart...Like, long hair? Stay away from me!!

Hellgate
05-29-2020, 07:15 AM
HA..mee too..getting pretty ragged but so what..like wearing a mask, it's kinda a 'statement' for this old fart...Like, long hair? Stay away from me!!I haven't had long hair since '83! I may as well grow it while I still can! [emoji23]

tctyres
05-29-2020, 07:18 AM
This is the longest my hair has been in 5 years, at least, maybe 25.
It's definitely a lot of hair.

Ozz
05-29-2020, 07:21 AM
I like it....start a movement (like "movember")….you will need to pick a color for ribbon to tie it back with!

johnniecakes
05-29-2020, 07:33 AM
So was I until it got into the 80's on tuesday. I asked Mrs. Cakes to buzz me in the garage with the 1/4"blade guard. Now I can feel the breeze again. Plus it saves water during the shower.

RFC
05-29-2020, 07:42 AM
HA..mee too..getting pretty ragged but so what..like wearing a mask, it's kinda a 'statement' for this old fart...Like, long hair? Stay away from me!!

I have a camo mask. It heightens the effect.

I have sworn an oath to not cut my hair until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

OtayBW
05-29-2020, 07:42 AM
When we are all able to go out and get haircuts I am somewhat tempted to really splurge on an avant-garde stylist just once to see what it is like and to see firsthand for myself if they do anything really different. It would be kind of fun as a treat.You are a brave soul. I don't really have high expectations for my haircuts, but the one thing is that I just DONT WANT ANY SUPRISES! :rolleyes:

When I got mine cut on Tuesday we discussed a hot towel/hot lather/“old fashioned” shave.

We couldn’t figure out how with the mask currently required.

That will be my “splurge” when we do figure it out.

BKI shave with a straight and I can tell you that modern state Health Dept laws (in most or all states) do not permit you to get shave in a commercial establishment with a genuine razor. They have to use a 'shavette' which is essentially a disposabl, single-edge razor blade inserted into a 'straight razor holder'. Very harsh, and not something that I would want scraping over my face. If you want a true straight razor experience with a great blade, maybe you can find a friend locally who does this and ask him to help you out.

OtayBW
05-29-2020, 07:46 AM
I expect to have my new set of clippers with 4 blades and 7 combs/guards delivered on Monday. With all that gear, I expect to be able to fkcu it up with the best of 'em! :banana:

C40_guy
05-29-2020, 07:59 AM
I expect to have my new set of clippers with 4 blades and 7 combs/guards delivered on Monday. With all that gear, I expect to be able to fkcu it up with the best of 'em! :banana:

Remember, you can always go shorter. You can't go longer.

Kobe
05-29-2020, 08:04 AM
I picked up a Wahl 2 months ago and have cut my hair and 16 year old son's twice. Check out Wahl's videos on line and it's almost impossible to mess it up too bad.

For clean up we have been doing it on the deck and using the leaf blower, for both our heads and the deck.

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 08:13 AM
I pondered doing a self cut and then secured a “black market” back yard haircut..[emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtayBW
05-29-2020, 08:27 AM
I picked up a Wahl 2 months ago and have cut my hair and 16 year old son's twice. Check out Wahl's videos on line and it's almost impossible to mess it up too bad.

For clean up we have been doing it on the deck and using the leaf blower, for both our heads and the deck.
You mean like these?
https://wahlusa.com/haircutting/expert-advice/what-you-need-do-your-first-diy-haircut
https://buzzcutguide.com/how-to-cut-your-own-hair/
https://www.themodestman.com/cutting-your-own-hair/
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/04/23/haircut-how-shape-your-own-hair-during-coronavirus-shutdown/5143897002/
https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Your-Own-Hair-(Men)

I've been through 'em all....I'll hope for the best.
:D

oldpotatoe
05-29-2020, 08:38 AM
I pondered doing a self cut and then secured a “black market” back yard haircut..[emoji33]

Why 'self cut'?? Nobody around to hack on ya??

scoobydrew
05-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Cut my hair this past weekend and I don't think I'll be going back to my barber as often. Saved $$$ plus time it takes to go there, find parking, and coming back home.

It actually turned out much better than expected. Before you start, just feel out the contours of your head and take a note if there are certain spots that might be an issue for the clipper to get around. I started long on the side and worked my way down the guard size. For the back of your head, turn your back to the main bathroom mirror and use a hand mirror to look behind you. Removed the guard to trim around ears, sideburns, and lower edge of the backside near the neck (nape).

hokoman
05-29-2020, 11:31 AM

A lot of areas are still not open.

smontanaro
05-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Saved $$$ plus time it takes to go there, find parking, and coming back home.

Wait, what? You don't ride your bike to the barber? Just get kitted out, roll your bike into the shop (claim you forgot your lock), then head out for your ride after you get shorn. Two birds, one stone and all of that. :)

C40_guy
05-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Removed the guard...

And this is the part where I got into trouble...

Quite amazing how much hair appears in the sink when you take a quick swipe across the top of the head with no guard on the buzzer.

scoobydrew
05-29-2020, 12:40 PM

Quite amazing how much hair appears in the sink when you take a quick swipe across the top of the head with no guard on the buzzer.

It's definitely tricky. One small twitch and it's game over.

XXtwindad
05-29-2020, 12:56 PM

Can't truss it with my tresses....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=can%27t+truss+it+lyrics&&view=detail&mid=6A245C60245174AC0BD76A245C60245174AC0BD7&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcan%2527t%2Btruss%2Bit %2Blyrics%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

OtayBW
05-29-2020, 01:46 PM

It's definitely tricky. One small twitch and it's game over.
You're not helping! :help:

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 01:52 PM

Ohhh always plenty to hack on me .[emoji4]

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 01:54 PM
Can't truss it with my tresses....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=can%27t+truss+it+lyrics&&view=detail&mid=6A245C60245174AC0BD76A245C60245174AC0BD7&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcan%2527t%2Btruss%2Bit %2Blyrics%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

I started a COVID playlist and just added this one...now when I hear it I’ll associate the hair cut discussions to this song. [emoji4]

zero85ZEN
05-29-2020, 02:32 PM

I told my wife the same thing over a month ago. I don't think she thought I was serious.
Now she's starting to worry....

:beer:

GOTHBROOKS
05-29-2020, 04:40 PM
long hair dont care.

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 04:44 PM
And now for a little color...COVID style
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200529/183d7ca10676c6e4d1e888dac7358d7c.jpg

Irishgirl
05-29-2020, 04:54 PM
All kidding aside...it was exceptionally odd feeling to walk into a place I’ve supported for years...the people I would greet with hugs and then sit in the chair enjoying a glass of Prosecco.

I’m proud of my friend that owns the salon...a small local business...over these last couple of months I’ve listened and supported her expressing her fears of losing her business.

I felt safe.. I witnessed the team taking the necessary precautions to do their preventive part of keeping people safe and mindful of possible contamination AND service the needs of people to get their hair issues addressed....kudos to her and her team!!

oldpotatoe
05-30-2020, 07:37 AM
A lot of areas are still not open.

I'm talking about a 'safe' significant other who ya live with...wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend..kid, etc, etc...

Hellgate
05-30-2020, 08:12 AM
So was I until it got into the 80's on tuesday. I asked Mrs. Cakes to buzz me in the garage with the 1/4"blade guard. Now I can feel the breeze again. Plus it saves water during the shower.Name that band!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200530/c0c47c3215c5898c5f4ece2a8711b363.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
05-30-2020, 11:10 AM
Name that band!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200530/c0c47c3215c5898c5f4ece2a8711b363.jpg

You’re almost there, Pete.

Bostic
05-30-2020, 11:26 AM
Growing it out.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1145/XqcGUO.jpg

54ny77
05-30-2020, 11:34 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c7/78/4c/c7784cf2f1531e815c3b9382300af19e.jpg

:D

Growing it out.

d_douglas
05-30-2020, 11:36 AM
You’re almost there, Pete.

It’s this guy

https://media.tenor.com/images/e52dad502135a8c6930f66ae8505330c/tenor.png

OtayBW
05-30-2020, 12:05 PM
You all are starting to freak me out a little bit....:eek:

XXtwindad
05-30-2020, 01:21 PM
Growing it out.

If ya got it .... FLAUNT IT!!!

C40_guy
05-31-2020, 09:33 AM
Name that band!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200530/c0c47c3215c5898c5f4ece2a8711b363.jpg

Wait. Is this the before or after?

C40_guy
05-31-2020, 09:35 AM
Adult son, who is hanging with us for the duration, hasn't gotten a haircut in four months.

Hair's a bit bushy, beard's a bit bushy.

He announced that he's going to use my buzzer for his first home haircut today.

If it turns out really poorly, I'll be back with pics. :)

Hellgate
05-31-2020, 10:28 AM
You’re almost there, Pete.I was actually thinking Flock of Seagulls Josh, but I can work with that!

XXtwindad
05-31-2020, 12:37 PM
I was actually thinking Flock of Seagulls Josh, but I can work with that!

Oops. How'd I miss that? I think my "Child of the 80's" card just got revoked! How embarrassing.

tctyres
05-31-2020, 03:44 PM
I did mine today with my clippers and scissors. I went slow ... real slow.
I used the 1/2" guard up the sides and back, tapering down to the finest guard, and the scissors above that and on the top. Overall, it's not too bad. It took a couple of hours.

I found both of these helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ewJDxnYkNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTC5D-zYBs

RFC
06-02-2020, 11:53 PM
I haven't had a haircut in more than 4 months. I see no reason to change course.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49966080247_531276b0f2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j8kdSc)IMG_2280 (https://flic.kr/p/2j8kdSc) by Robert Copple (https://www.flickr.com/photos/161536771@N04/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49965297728_ea722d8a2d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j8gdfu)IMG_2277 (https://flic.kr/p/2j8gdfu) by Robert Copple (https://www.flickr.com/photos/161536771@N04/), on Flickr

weiwentg
06-03-2020, 03:45 AM
I took my beard trimmer and gave myself a buzz cut.

dannymd
06-03-2020, 04:03 AM
I haven't cut mine in 5 months now

C40_guy
06-03-2020, 08:06 AM
Adult son, who is hanging with us for the duration, hasn't gotten a haircut in four months.

Hair's a bit bushy, beard's a bit bushy.

He announced that he's going to use my buzzer for his first home haircut today.

If it turns out really poorly, I'll be back with pics. :)

Bad news.

He asked me to do the deed.

Worse news.

It turned out well, so no pics. :)

OtayBW
06-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Bad news.

He asked me to do the deed.

Worse news.

It turned out well, so no pics. :)
Rats! ;)

ariw
06-03-2020, 10:43 AM
No haircut yet, my daughter did this with some gel and paste :-)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200603/1e3851735c15e238d998101777c79730.jpg

XXtwindad
06-03-2020, 11:16 AM

Really cool Father/Daughter bonding :)

mktng
06-03-2020, 11:18 AM
when this is all over. i'll be going for the mitch docker mullet special.

OtayBW
06-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Not too late to write her out of your will, you know. Just saying....:D

OtayBW
06-03-2020, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=RFC;2732159]I haven't had a haircut in more than 4 months. I see no reason to change course.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49966080247_531276b0f2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j8kdSc)IMG_2280 (https://flic.kr/p/2j8kdSc) by Robert Copple (https://www.flickr.com/photos/161536771@N04/), on Flickr

Mine's not quite that long, but it's wavy gravy and therefore different every minute - drives me crazy. So, I bought this fancy clipper setup - pretty much anything I could possibly need with plenty of horsepower (well, I mean, it's not exactly like a weed whacker - BUT CLOSE!)...and so far, I haven't had the cajones to use it! :eek:

Maybe after a couple of G&Ts. Or, maybe I should rethink that.....:rolleyes:

RFC
06-03-2020, 11:28 AM
when this is all over. i'll be going for the mitch docker mullet special.

Joe Dirt

OtayBW
06-07-2020, 10:37 AM
OK - So I bought these clippers with way too many attachments and blades - just to make sure - and then I looked at all this stuff in the box for a >week before I had the nerve to try it out.....until last night. And here we are...

Before and After: :D

gasman
06-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Good job Otay !!

XXtwindad
06-07-2020, 12:50 PM
OK - So I bought these clippers with way too many attachments and blades - just to make sure - and then I looked at all this stuff in the box for a >week before I had the nerve to try it out.....until last night. And here we are...

Before and After: :D

I dunno. I kinda liked the “before.” Had a vaguely “liberal arts professor in a tweedy New England university out of a John Irving novel” look. Which is a really good look. Never goes out of style. You just need suede elbow patches :)