PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Carbon Rim Recommendation

r_mutt
05-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Looking for a 32 hole carbon rim to put on some DA track hubs.

What do you all recommend?

I was pointed towards the Light Bicycle site- anyone have any experience with them and their products?

gavingould
05-27-2020, 01:05 PM
have two sets of Light-Bicycle rims that were built to cheap hubs locally. tubular, 28 spoke front/rear. both holding up fine after being raced, cyclocross. big heavy rider that enjoys hopping things. builder said they built up easily, no problems there. this was 5 years ago, and they haven't been ridden in a couple seasons now.

echelon_john
05-27-2020, 02:39 PM
Light-bicycle and Nextie are both very good quality. Have built around 10 sets of each and they're under some big dudes, including me. No issues.

r_mutt
05-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Thanks Gents!

Never heard of Nextie - I will give them a look as it seems to be a 4-6 week wait
for Light Bicycle rims

stephenmarklay
05-27-2020, 07:49 PM
I am really interested in these as well.

What kind of shipping/customs costs are involved?

oldpotatoe
05-28-2020, 06:32 AM
BTLOS. Used quite a few of these..MANY options, not expensive, well made. Shipping time 'can' be kinda an issue...from China but very pleased with their rims.

BTLOS.com

Bentley
05-28-2020, 06:44 AM
So clearly cheap to one person may not be cheap to another so I am curious as to what constitutes a “cheap” carbon rim? I think the BTLOS rims come in at a reasonable premium over alloy, but is the premium 1.5x, less or more?

ergott
05-28-2020, 06:57 AM
I'd look into one of the rims with a grooved brake track. Several companies have them. They have proven to brake significantly better than standard.

cal_len1
05-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Another option is farsports, they have gotten a lot of good reviews. I know a ton of people who have used Light Bicycle for years with no issues.

R3awak3n
05-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Another option is farsports, they have gotten a lot of good reviews. I know a ton of people who have used Light Bicycle for years with no issues.

dont think farsports does rims only though, only wheelsets

r_mutt
05-28-2020, 01:46 PM
So clearly cheap to one person may not be cheap to another so I am curious as to what constitutes a “cheap” carbon rim? I think the BTLOS rims come in at a reasonable premium over alloy, but is the premium 1.5x, less or more?

cheap to me? most good brand name carbon rims cost anywhere from $500-$1200. I'm looking to spend <$200. I have a few sets of brand name carbon wheels for the road (Enve, Campagnolo) but I just don't want to drop $1500++ for a track wheelset as I don't ride the track that often to justify the expense. Lightbicycle sells carbon rims for $150-$185. That seems reasonable. I don't want it failing on me though! I also have a set of Pacenti Forza rims for my CX bike that Ergott made for me :)

thanks to everyone voicing their opinion - esp the 2 wheel builders here (the ones that I know of anyway) OldPot and Ergott.

Bentley
05-28-2020, 02:09 PM
cheap to me? most good brand name carbon rims cost anywhere from $500-$1200. I'm looking to spend <$200. I have a few sets of brand name carbon wheels for the road (Enve, Campagnolo) but I just don't want to drop $1500++ for a track wheelset as I don't ride the track that often to justify the expense. Lightbicycle sells carbon rims for $150-$185. That seems reasonable. I don't want it failing on me though! I also have a set of Pacenti Forza rims for my CX bike that Ergott made for me :)

thanks to everyone voicing their opinion - esp the 2 wheel builders here (the ones that I know of anyway) OldPot and Ergott.

I like the logic. I think 200 is a good threshold which is about 2x a good allow rim...