PDA

View Full Version : TT: Appestat - what's the deal?

TimD
01-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Too Tall -

The Hammer Appestat promo arrived in my mailbox yesterday. Of course had it arrived in mid-November it might be less apropos right now but then that would not be an effective marketing strategy, would it?

I read the "Reducing Holiday Weight Gain" 7-step recommendation, while eating a small bowl of Starbucks Java Chip ice cream (I'm not making this up). Some of the items were, um, novel ("2. Chew each individual mouthful of food until ready to swallow then chew it 10 more times." :p ) but I liked it enough to save it. However I'm not ready to buy yet.

What is the deal with this stuff? Discuss.

Thanks!

Postscript: One upside of the Patriots losing on Sunday: Weekly Sunday afternoon dark beer fests have also ended!

Too Tall
01-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Maaaaaaan you trying to get me in trouble????? ;) You know what happens every time we talk about this stuff don't you???? hehe.

My honest opinion is I don't believe in diets. What I do believe is that your lifestyle, happiness and such are inseparable from weight gain / loss. Corny answer non but you asked and that's my line. What I recommend to every one of my athletes is that they focus on spending quality time in the organic isles and to clean up their diet to whatever extent they can. If they insist I'll set a basal metabolic rate with recommended caloric (day time) needs so they have a resonable frame of reference...because sometimes folks legit don't know what is considered normal. I NEVER EVER advise folks to diet never never never.

Curiously or not...it is my observation that when athletes have goals...are reaching their goals, life is good and sports nutrition is on target (on the bike, recovery etc.) than excess weight sheds like crazy until they reach a weight that "feels" right to them eg. they are happy about their appearance / performance. These things matter agreed?

So...to answer your question specifically...if you were to follow their general guidelines you'll lose weight if you take the Appestat or not. Me and the wife went over their guide a few yrs. back and agree in principle with the guidlines because it makes you think about and care about what goes into your piehole and not blame genetics or stars in the sky, it is a practical reasonable recommendation. OK, the supplement ingrediants...5-HTP is a mood elevator...it also puts some people to sleep...does me! The other ingrediants I can't really see the harm and will give you a satiated feeling...sorry man that's the best I can do. Trust me, there is no magic bullet. Eat real food and g-d damn the pusherman.

Peace, TT.

TimD
01-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the G2. To be honest I don't have a weight problem, even remotely (6'4" & 190 lbs). Were I trying to emulate what my buddy calls "50-gram Spanish climbers" yeah sure I'd be aiming for something silly like 170 lbs. But that would be painful, both on and off the bike.

I stopped my nightly ice cream regimen last fall while maintaining my normal riding habit and immediately lost about 4 lbs. That, combined with some higher (not to say "high" but it is all relative, right?) intensity riding improved uphill performance by a noticeable amount. That training came easier because my legs and body felt less leaden without the ice cream and with improved sleep... Wow, we are talking an honest-to-<your deity goes here>-synergism :)

It is all part of a Continuing Education. I'm not buying, nor am I dieting - just trying to be somewhat smart(er) about what I eat (and, moving forward, maybe how I eat it) while tolerating and loving the occasional chocolate or whatever delectable.

Thanks!