PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Rene Herse?

akelman
05-26-2020, 11:26 AM
I'm sure I'm being an idiot, but I just spent twenty minutes bouncing around the Rene Herse site without finding any contact information. Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with them? Thanks!

dbnm
05-26-2020, 11:28 AM
customerservice@renehersecycles.com

unterhausen
05-26-2020, 11:33 AM
they may not answer. Or at least they weren't, because they only had one person working at a time

p nut
05-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Over the past month, I’ve not had a single email answered. Probably running a skeleton crew, but I’m a bit disappointed. Especially considering I wanted to ADD items to an order.

Other small companies seem to respond (eventually), so not sure what’s going on here.

dbnm
05-26-2020, 11:49 AM
They are posting daily photos on Instagram.

Maybe message them there?

www.instagram.com/reneherse

akelman
05-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Thanks, all. It's helpful to hear that this is just a Covid-19 thing. I'll be patient — though patience isn't really my default setting.

pbarry
05-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Yeah, follow them on IG and send a message. :)

dbh
05-26-2020, 12:07 PM
They’ve been pretty straightforward in their emails that they’re running a skeleton crew during the pandemic and that it’s had an impact on their business. I’d definitely cut them so slack in the customer service department these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
05-26-2020, 12:32 PM
Seems like a good move to at least have a VM greeting that explains things quickly and says "your order/question is important to us and we will contact you ASAP" and an auto-reply email that says the same (BikeHubStore does this). Radio silence is never a good move on the customer service front.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/internet-bob/qylGn4GqAyA/IUW0gFuMAAAJ

dbnm
05-26-2020, 12:41 PM
They should have a statement about their slow response as well as having a contact link like every other retail shop on the internet.

The only way to get the email customerservice@renehersecycles.com is to go into their privacy statement.

Times are crazy. They could make it easier for their (potential) customers.

PacNW2Ford
05-26-2020, 01:42 PM
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shipping-and-tracking-during-a-pandemic/

akelman
05-26-2020, 01:57 PM

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Drmojo
05-26-2020, 02:54 PM
not hearse Ari
but I like “ hearse”
maybe he died
like the flat I just got on my Compass/ RH 650b tire!
not my favorite company, as you might guess...

akelman
05-26-2020, 02:58 PM
not hearse Ari
but I like “ hearse”
maybe he died
like the flat I just got on my Compass/ RH 650b tire!
not my favorite company, as you might guess...

Hah! I didn't even notice the typo, and I'm usually pretty aware of that kind of thing. I'm going to leave it alone, a kind of memorial to my stupidity.

justaute
05-26-2020, 03:12 PM
FWIW...IG messaging didn't get me anywhere, even with two recent orders. Don't think it will work.

Toddykins
05-26-2020, 03:13 PM
Difficult customer service seems pretty on brand for Rene Herse - maybe this is an explicit marketing strategy...

akelman
06-01-2020, 10:56 PM
The email address customerservice@renehersecycles.com is no longer active. For questions about your order, returns, warranty claims, etc., please use the forms under 'Support' on our web site, which can be found here: https://www.renehersecycles.com/tech-info/order_faq/

We are sorry that we can’t provide individual tech support at this time. We’ve put very detailed specs, information and instructions on our web site, so most customers can find answers to their questions without having to wait for a reply. Use the 'Support' tab in the top menu to get started. There you'll find information for each product category, including instructions and links to how-to posts.

Thank you!

Rene Herse Cycles
www.renehersecycles.com

dbnm
06-01-2020, 11:00 PM
My new bike will have Barlow Pass tires on it. I'm not really thrilled about the lack of contact from such a small company.

Try them here https://www.instagram.com/reneherse/

charliedid
06-01-2020, 11:14 PM
That place seems more like a hobby than a company.

XXtwindad
06-01-2020, 11:21 PM
I've sent several emails over the past few years. A few of them emphatically claiming how excited I was to try their products, and asking for a little more information. Never heard back from them once.

I'd rather spend my money somewhere where I can get a response.

Panaracer makes high quality stuff with great reviews. (e.g. the SK Gravel King) It's less expensive. And they respond to emails. 'Nuff said.

Clancy
06-02-2020, 07:01 AM
I've sent several emails over the past few years. A few of them emphatically claiming how excited I was to try their products, and asking for a little more information. Never heard back from them once.

I'd rather spend my money somewhere where I can get a response.

Panaracer makes high quality stuff with great reviews. (e.g. the SK Gravel King) It's less expensive. And they respond to emails. 'Nuff said.

I attempt to support BQ, Rene Herse but admittedly it’s difficult at times. The products are described with vague terms and hyperbole and BQ too often represents a travel magazine for cycling Japan. Jan without argument has done much to promote All Road bikes, wider rims, etc., and will leave a lasting impact on the sport. Cycling needs folks like this and all in all, I would imagine this type of behavior is typical of small businesses built around a passionate pastime/sport. I guess I’d describe it as an overall lack of a deep understanding of the consumer marketplace. Its almost the business supports their hobby, rather than the business and it’s customers being the focus.

But with all this said, would we be were we are today with wider tires and the whole All-Road bike scene if it wasn’t for Jan/ReneHerse?

XXtwindad
06-02-2020, 09:29 AM
I attempt to support BQ, Rene Herse but admittedly it’s difficult at times. The products are described with vague terms and hyperbole and BQ too often represents a travel magazine for cycling Japan. Jan without argument has done much to promote All Road bikes, wider rims, etc., and will leave a lasting impact on the sport. Cycling needs folks like this and all in all, I would imagine this type of behavior is typical of small businesses built around a passionate pastime/sport. I guess I’d describe it as an overall lack of a deep understanding of the consumer marketplace. Its almost the business supports their hobby, rather than the business and it’s customers being the focus.

But with all this said, would we be were we are today with wider tires and the whole All-Road bike scene if it wasn’t for Jan/ReneHerse?

Your point is well-taken. If I was on the voting committee for the nascent “Cycling Hall of Fame” I’d certainly vote for Jan Heine. His contributions have been profound.

But, on the business tip of things, he’s simply not very good. And, when I want to purchase a tire at Rene Hearse, I want to know that I can have basic questions answered and feel assured that there will be a recourse should something happen with the product. Based on my experiences (and evidently several others here as well) that assurance isn’t there.

merckx
06-02-2020, 10:13 AM
What information about Rene Herse products do you need that is not available?

A plethora of information has been made available via the RH website, blogs, IG, BQ regarding such topics like: crankset forging methods, chainring engineering, tire casing construction and philosophy, brakeset design, specs for all products, handlebar design, bag specs and design, frame tubing specs, design and philosophy, etc., etc., etc.

many_styles
06-02-2020, 10:15 AM
It’s a common thing for most small businesses to struggle with a communication strategy with customers.

I’d still support them by buying their products. I bought a set of 26mm tires, tubes and the latest issue of BQ. I’m a successful convert!

Also, post above might is a good tip. Again, if the product is made well, install and go ride!

Toddykins
06-02-2020, 12:04 PM
What information about Rene Herse products do you need that is not available?

A plethora of information has been made available via the RH website, blogs, IG, BQ regarding such topics like: crankset forging methods, chainring engineering, tire casing construction and philosophy, brakeset design, specs for all products, handlebar design, bag specs and design, frame tubing specs, design and philosophy, etc., etc., etc.

How about help with an active order? - there is no reasonable way to contact except for an evidently poorly monitored webform with choices that in no way deal with all possible scenarios. Instantaneous response is not necessarily expected, particularly mid-pandemic - but after putting money down with a retail provider there needs to be some way contacting. Its 2020, there is honestly no excuse for not having this.

merckx
06-02-2020, 12:10 PM
How about help with an active order? - there is no reasonable way to contact except for an evidently poorly monitored webform with choices that in no way deal with all possible scenarios. Instantaneous response is not necessarily expected, particularly mid-pandemic - but after putting money down with a retail provider there needs to be some way contacting. Its 2020, there is honestly no excuse for not having this.

Understood, and I don't discredit your point. However, I don't understand the criticism from several individuals regarding a dearth of product information.

dbnm
06-02-2020, 12:14 PM
Ever email Ornot or Search and State? Both small companies with terrific customer support. Near instant responses. That's the way it should be.

Jan Heine
06-02-2020, 03:05 PM

We are a small company, but we aren't a hobby. We support our customers 100%. We've made returns are easy and no-questions-asked within 60 days. There is no restocking fee. We deal with warranty claims in a conscious and thorough way, not just replacing the product, but also investigating what went wrong, so we can improve our products and prevent problems from happening again. (Fortunately, we have very, very few warranty claims.)

Right now, we are operating under Covid-19 restrictions here in Seattle. Only one person is allowed to work in the office and warehouse at a time. One of our employees is high risk and not allowed to come to work at all.

We must choose among many priorities: shipping your orders, dealing with the logistics of making sure we don't run out of stock of essentials that our customers count on (predicting future demand in these uncertain times is more difficult than you'd think), improving our products and developing new ones – and dealing with customer service questions.

95% of the questions are similar, and we've spent a lot of time putting them in the FAQ. That way, you get instant answers, rather than having to wait for us to get back to you. For the remaining 5%, we try to channel them via forms to get all the relevant information up front, so we don't have to go back-and-forth multiple times, because most of our customers prefer to ride their bikes over emailing. (It's not your job to remember that we need your order number to look up the order – it's our job to ask for it from the get-go!)

We've also spent a lot of time to make detailed, illustrated instructions for everything from our fenders to our tires, so you aren't on your own when you install the components you purchased from us.

And for some things, like individual tech support like "What stem length should I run on my bike" or "Do your Barlow Pass tires fit on a 1992 Pinarello," we simply aren't equipped to handle those, since we don't know you or your bike. We've tried in the past, but it never felt right, since your local bike shop is better equipped to handle those.

And finally, some things, like modifying to your order after you've placed it, is just not feasible while we are short-staffed and operating under restrictions. Half the time, the order has already been shipped, and we spend a lot of time and emails without being able to help the customer. If we can still catch an order before it leaves, it means voiding the shipping label, creating a new one manually, asking the customer for extra payment via Paypal, then monitor our Paypal account to make sure the payment arrives, then pack a new box, etc. Right now, we're asking you to place a second order if you forgot to include something. We don't have a minimum order quantity, so it's not that big a hassle.

We also know that some customers just want to talk to a human being, and we appreciate that. We'd love to chat about bikes with you, but right now, that means that somebody else's order won't get shipped. This may sound rude, but it's the reality. I'm sure all of you have waited in a bike shop for your turn while the customer in front of you told the guy behind the counter his life story...

We're also having trouble with the USPS not scanning all packages they receive, so tracking information isn't reliable. Many customers never get tracking information until the parcel arrives. Some international shipments are currently going by boat, not air. And many carriers are not able to operate normally due to the curfews. All these things are out of our control, but they also generate a lot of customer service emails. (I just spent a hour yesterday on emails from European BQ readers who haven't got their Spring edition yet.)

It's an extraordinary situation in more ways than one, and we ask you to understand. We focus on making the best products we can, and getting them to you at the lowest price and as quickly as possible. That is all we can do right now. We hope you understand.

Thank you for reading this far, and thank you to all customers who have been supportive!

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Reborn in the Cascade Mountains
www.renehersecycles.com (https://www.renehersecycles.com)

dbnm
06-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Jan,
thanks for writing us here on Paceline but I have a couple of questions.

I understand all of the Covid chaos as my business is seriously affected as well, but myself and my employees are able to check and answer email outside of our office. Are you not able to do that?

Also, why don't you ship BQ via media mail?

I will continue to support RH no matter. Hope you stay safe and well.

Jan Heine
06-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Jan,

I understand all of the Covid chaos as my business is seriously affected as well, but myself and my employees are able to check and answer email outside of our office. Are you not able to do that?

I am writing this from outside the office. But communications with employees that is needed for customer service questions is much more complicated now than just walking over to someone's desk and asking a question.

Media Mail is for books. Magazines that include advertising are not eligible for Media Mail. They are eligible for Periodicals Mail, which has to be presorted and sent in batches.

I will continue to support RH no matter. Hope you stay safe and well.

Thank you! I'm off to a Skype meeting with our employees...

And I'm sorry if the previous message came across a bit forceful. We're a little tired after working until midnight last night to get your orders out and deal with all kinds of things...

Toddykins
06-02-2020, 03:50 PM
We are a small company, but we aren't a hobby. We support our customers 100%. We've made returns are easy and no-questions-asked within 60 days. There is no restocking fee. We deal with warranty claims in a conscious and thorough way, not just replacing the product, but also investigating what went wrong, so we can improve our products and prevent problems from happening again. (Fortunately, we have very, very few warranty claims.)

Right now, we are operating under Covid-19 restrictions here in Seattle. Only one person is allowed to work in the office and warehouse at a time. One of our employees is high risk and not allowed to come to work at all.

We must choose among many priorities: shipping your orders, dealing with the logistics of making sure we don't run out of stock of essentials that our customers count on (predicting future demand in these uncertain times is more difficult than you'd think), improving our products and developing new ones – and dealing with customer service questions.

95% of the questions are similar, and we've spent a lot of time putting them in the FAQ. That way, you get instant answers, rather than having to wait for us to get back to you. For the remaining 5%, we try to channel them via forms to get all the relevant information up front, so we don't have to go back-and-forth multiple times, because most of our customers prefer to ride their bikes over emailing. (It's not your job to remember that we need your order number to look up the order – it's our job to ask for it from the get-go!)

We've also spent a lot of time to make detailed, illustrated instructions for everything from our fenders to our tires, so you aren't on your own when you install the components you purchased from us.

And for some things, like individual tech support like "What stem length should I run on my bike" or "Do your Barlow Pass tires fit on a 1992 Pinarello," we simply aren't equipped to handle those, since we don't know you or your bike. We've tried in the past, but it never felt right, since your local bike shop is better equipped to handle those.

And finally, some things, like modifying to your order after you've placed it, is just not feasible while we are short-staffed and operating under restrictions. Half the time, the order has already been shipped, and we spend a lot of time and emails without being able to help the customer. If we can still catch an order before it leaves, it means voiding the shipping label, creating a new one manually, asking the customer for extra payment via Paypal, then monitor our Paypal account to make sure the payment arrives, then pack a new box, etc. Right now, we're asking you to place a second order if you forgot to include something. We don't have a minimum order quantity, so it's not that big a hassle.

We also know that some customers just want to talk to a human being, and we appreciate that. We'd love to chat about bikes with you, but right now, that means that somebody else's order won't get shipped. This may sound rude, but it's the reality. I'm sure all of you have waited in a bike shop for your turn while the customer in front of you told the guy behind the counter his life story...

We're also having trouble with the USPS not scanning all packages they receive, so tracking information isn't reliable. Many customers never get tracking information until the parcel arrives. Some international shipments are currently going by boat, not air. And many carriers are not able to operate normally due to the curfews. All these things are out of our control, but they also generate a lot of customer service emails. (I just spent a hour yesterday on emails from European BQ readers who haven't got their Spring edition yet.)

It's an extraordinary situation in more ways than one, and we ask you to understand. We focus on making the best products we can, and getting them to you at the lowest price and as quickly as possible. That is all we can do right now. We hope you understand.

Thank you for reading this far, and thank you to all customers who have been supportive!

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

Jan - I like your products, I really do, but you are not helping your case here. I very recently placed an order and made a typo in my shipping address. My mistake, so I tried to rectify it immediately. I would still like to receive the order.

You are able to respond here at length saying I am the problem but intentionally make it difficult to contact you and I have yet to receive a direct response despite having placed an actual order?

You may not particularly relish this aspect of doing business and you can justify it however you like - but customer service is an essential element of running any business and you are failing in this aspect.

To use your example - voiding a shipping label is not some undue burden, its just part of the work of running a consumer facing business.

Jan Heine
06-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Jan - I like your products, I really do, but you are not helping your case here. I very recently placed an order and made a typo in my shipping address. My mistake, so I tried to rectify it immediately. I would still like to receive the order.

Thank you for explaining your concern and situation. Fortunately, in your case, nothing has changed. In the past, you emailed us, now you use the form. The form has the advantage that it's easier to fill out - we're asking for your order number up front, rather than having to go back and forth because you sent us your name, but we need your order number to find your order. In your case, the new system is better than the old.

There's still the issue that we may have shipped your order before we see the email/form, but the alternative is to hold all orders for a few days to see whether customers made a mistake. That would create a lot of upset customers, too. I am thinking about a way to solve that, and if I can come up with a solution, we'll implement it.

If we were a big company, we'd hire one person just to staff the phone. Then you could call and they could run over and catch the problem before the order goes out. But we're too small for that. I am very sorry about that.

I want all our customers to know that we are taking your concerns seriously. We try to give you the best service we can while also running a company with low overhead to keep our products affordable.

many_styles
06-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Thank you Jan for all the hard work and your team does!

No one is perfect and all we can do it adapt and make changes.

Your tires alone have rejuvenated my riding this summer and it’s helped me stay sane.

palincss
06-02-2020, 09:55 PM
Jan,

You can't have advertising in media mail.

Link to contents for "MEDIA MAIL SERVICE"

MEDIA MAIL SERVICE

Media Mail shipping is a cost-effective way to send educational materials. This service has restrictions on the type of media that can be shipped. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

Books (at least 8 pages).
Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
Play scripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
Printed music.
Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
Printed educational reference charts.
Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media - printed music, sound recordings, periodicals, CDs, DVDs, and books.

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items can be found in the DMM.

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

Notice 121, October 2012
-- https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

dbnm
06-02-2020, 09:58 PM
I asked because I wanted to purchase the 4 pack of BQ but the cheapest shipping option is $16.

xnetter
06-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all your effort Jan. Some people can't seem to adjust their expectations to both a micro business selling a wide variety of items and also to the constraints of these current circumstances. I have had good customer service from you/RH in the past and rarely even have any questions about parts as I usually know exactly what I am buying.

Last weekend I went to my LBS to get something and I had to wait in line with a bunch of other people for 30 mins as they were doing the one in/one out thing. Just the way it is right now. Take a deep breath folks.

KJ

JAGI410
06-02-2020, 10:20 PM
I asked because I wanted to purchase the 4 pack of BQ but the cheapest shipping option is $16.

Add some tires to the order to offset shipping cost. Win win!

rcnute
06-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all your effort Jan. Some people can't seem to adjust their expectations to both a micro business selling a wide variety of items and also to the constraints of these current circumstances. I have had good customer service from you/RH in the past and rarely even have any questions about parts as I usually know exactly what I am buying.

Last weekend I went to my LBS to get something and I had to wait in line with a bunch of other people for 30 mins as they were doing the one in/one out thing. Just the way it is right now. Take a deep breath folks.

KJ

Exactly. Just be happy these business are (currently) still around.

Ryan

XXtwindad
06-02-2020, 10:35 PM

KJ

Just callin it as I experienced it. Nothing more. Nothing less. I sent three emails over a year ago. Never got any responses. I’m in the personal services biz myself. Frankly, I couldn’t give one whit about his status in the pantheon of biking greats. I was looking to spend some hard earned cash (and a considerable amount $90 per tire ain’t cheap) on some Antelope Hills. No reply at all, to quote that great sage Phil Collins.

So, I took my money elsewhere. To Panaracer. Who make great tires. For quite a bit less. And respond to emails. Nothing too complicated about that.

dannymd
06-03-2020, 04:53 AM

Thanks , very helpful

Jan Heine
06-03-2020, 12:21 PM

Unfortunately, the Medium Flat Rate Box from the USPS is usually the least expensive option. Four magazines are just too much to fit in a Flat Rate Envelope. As somebody mentioned, if you combine that order with other things, it becomes more affordable. For example, two or even three 4-packs (depending on which ones you buy, the earlier ones are slimmer) fit in the same box...

We also try to find the least expensive way to ship – sometimes we can use fit things in a Flat Rate Box even though the shopping cart doesn't think so (things nestle inside each other), and then we refund any excess shipping the customer paid.

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles

akelman
06-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Hey, Mods, if you happen to check in here, I asked a question and received an answer. Rene Herse's customer service strategies are theirs to determine. And I have nothing but respect for Jan Heine's contributions to modern cycling and for the Rene Herse/Compass products I've used in the past (I just wish my package would arrive, but I understand, as I said upthread, that the delay is very likely related to Covid-19). Anyway, if someone wants to close this thread, that would be dee-lite-full. Thanks!

AngryScientist
06-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Hey, Mods, if you happen to check in here, I asked a question and received an answer. Rene Herse's customer service strategies are theirs to determine. And I have nothing but respect for Jan Heine's contributions to modern cycling and for the Rene Herse/Compass products I've used in the past (I just wish my package would arrive, but I understand, as I said upthread, that the delay is very likely related to Covid-19). Anyway, if someone wants to close this thread, that would be dee-lite-full. Thanks!