PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Dario...

Tickdoc
05-26-2020, 06:10 AM
Not sure what I was looking for when I came across this article from Bicycling magazine (of all places) but I haven't read it before and it is really good.

Oh, I know....my back hurts lately, and I was trying to find a quote from Dario that is something like "a bike is not a sofa".

I was looking for that quote after riding one of his bicycles yesterday in the rain. I haven't ridden it as much and I was laughing at how when I finally do it is in the rain and it is glorious.

I wonder what conversations we would have if we had ever met, and then I read this and realize it's probably best he didn't meet another obsessed fan who wants to talk about the bicycle.

I think the part that gets me the most is how this thing captures art and craftsmanship and brings me joy far more than say, a painting on the wall, and I would want to thank him for that.

Anyways, much has been written and I think this article sums it up best.

Addio Dario.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20006361/custom-bicycles/

colker
05-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Not sure what I was looking for when I came across this article from Bicycling magazine (of all places) but I haven't read it before and it is really good.

Oh, I know....my back hurts lately, and I was trying to find a quote from Dario that is something like "a bike is not a sofa".

I was looking for that quote after riding one of his bicycles yesterday in the rain. I haven't ridden it as much and I was laughing at how when I finally do it is in the rain and it is glorious.

I wonder what conversations we would have if we had ever met, and then I read this and realize it's probably best he didn't meet another obsessed fan who wants to talk about the bicycle.

I think the part that gets me the most is how this thing captures art and craftsmanship and brings me joy far more than say, a painting on the wall, and I would want to thank him for that.

Addio Dario.

Keith Bontrager _ Want comfort? Get a couch.

Actually if you want comfort on the bike, just ride it more and get fit.

OtayBW
05-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Addio Dario.

Yes - I believe I've heard that, too....;)

choke
05-26-2020, 07:37 AM
The quote came from Dazza, across the hall (https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/dario-gone-50441-2.html#post922592)....“Watch the pros on TV the way they pedal. Probably I am an old man, but this is my opinion. I think it is more important to have a good position and learn to ride the bike correctly, than to have the latest carbon frame.”

“There is a reason to build a frame a certain shape, not just a question to follow the market-not just for money. I think it is stupid just to follow the market…
It is more fun to make the market’
It is really hard of course”

"Marketing cannot invent Passion"

“A bicycle is not a sofa”

Dario Pegoretti

I find it hard to ponder, that no longer a phone or email chat, or catching up at a bike show.
Ciao Dario

I love this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAUY1okeyH4

Tickdoc
05-26-2020, 09:03 AM
Yes - I believe I've heard that, too....;)

Right in front of me the whole time!

I have a friend I used to ride with who would buy a saddle a month....you name it, he tried it. I kept telling him you just have to suffer through a bit....harden yourself. He rides infrequent enough that it is a pain in the butt each time. I've never been a saddle snob, but I have found that for me, a flat and hard saddle fits way better than something scooped or cushy. That is a whole nuther thread tho:)

OtayBW
05-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Right in front of me the whole time!

I have a friend I used to ride with who would buy a saddle a month....you name it, he tried it. I kept telling him you just have to suffer through a bit....harden yourself. He rides infrequent enough that it is a pain in the butt each time. I've never been a saddle snob, but I have found that for me, a flat and hard saddle fits way better than something scooped or cushy. That is a whole nuther thread tho:)I'm there with ya. I solved the 'saddle problem' ~10 years ago and that was that. I keep 4 of the same, and I'm good to go. ;)

pncguy
05-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Wow. It makes me feel like weeping to think that this man existed and I never met him. I'm sure he wouldn't have suffered me, a fool, but it would have been fascinating to get to know him even a tiny bit.

Clean39T
05-26-2020, 11:09 AM
https://redkiteprayer.com/2018/08/the-pull-dario-pegoretti/

Recommended listening.

Interviews with Richard and others, it's hard to keep a dry eye - but some of what is shared is pure gold.

Tickdoc
05-26-2020, 02:21 PM
https://redkiteprayer.com/2018/08/the-pull-dario-pegoretti/

Recommended listening.

Interviews with Richard and others, it's hard to keep a dry eye - but some of what is shared is pure gold.

saving this for later....thanks!

Polyglot
05-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Dario was a great friend. I miss him so much, but at the same time he helped me meet and get to know so many wonderful people too.

Yesterday morning, my 100 year-old mother-in-law passed away after having been diagnosed on Thursday last week as Covid-19 positive. My whole family had a real bummer of a day and it was exceptionally difficult to bring up any emotional response other than tears. This changed when one of my dear friends in Italy sent a note of condolences. I had introduced the friend to Pegoretti bikes some ten years ago. Since he lived near Dario, he went to visit Dario in person and they became fast friends. In his note of condolences, he also informed me that he will become a father for the first time this summer. When mourning the passing of somebody very close, it is nice to be reminded that life continues on. So the imminent birth on its own was a bit of relief, but the minor relief became happiness when he told me that it is going to be a boy and the parents have already agreed that he is to be given the first name Dario in Pegoretti's honor.

Dario will not be forgotten!

Tickdoc
05-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Wow. So Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing a great story. Life does indeed go on and what a tribute for your friend.

ERK55
05-26-2020, 04:40 PM
I remember sitting near Dario and some of his crew at NAHBS, the year it was in Charlotte. They were eating a leisurely lunch accompanied by a bottle of red wine. Eventually a security guard came over and informed them that they were not allowed to drink alcohol there, so they downed what was left.
On the way back to the exhibit hall Dario posed, with a cigarette in hand, in front of a giant "No Smoking" sign, with a major twinkle in his eye.

Coffee Rider
05-26-2020, 06:54 PM
I really wish I had gotten a bike from Dario when I could have since that might have been the only way I would have met him. There is something awesome about an Italian guy who used the word "schtick." I would be surprised if he learned that term from one of his American friends who also built.

Maybe the consumerist lesson we can take from this is that if you think a builder is really neat, you should think #YOLO and get one of his/her frames.

Peter P.
05-26-2020, 07:35 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

I like that he was a fan of Frank Zappa (Big Leg Emma).

e-RICHIE
05-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Dario's plan, his commercial dream, was to have the business honed and run as well without him as with him. For many years, he was not even making the bicycle frames. That much is a given.

To lament his passing and also discuss that you lost an opportunity to have a Pegoretti misses the point. The people on the shop floor have a full command of the designs and manufacture.

Enough with the missing him, and sorry for your loss, and I wish etc etc chat. Dario may not be there. But in reality, he's never been more there than now.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool:;)
;);):rolleyes:

ERK55
05-26-2020, 09:05 PM
Indeed, in the short film “D’acciaio” produced by Rapha (2010) Dario was already arguing with Pietro about his thoughts on retiring.

rallizes
05-27-2020, 10:36 AM
the blacksmithery may continue to be excellent but the paint no longer appeals to me

Black Dog
05-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Dario's plan, his commercial dream, was to have the business honed and run as well without him as with him. For many years, he was not even making the bicycle frames. That much is a given.

To lament his passing and also discuss that you lost an opportunity to have a Pegoretti misses the point. The people on the shop floor have a full command of the designs and manufacture.

Enough with the missing him, and sorry for your loss, and I wish etc etc chat. Dario may not be there. But in reality, he's never been more there than now.

ps

arrange disorder

;);):rolleyes:

Exactly. I bet a lot of current owners would be surprised to learn that he did not actually weld, braze, or even paint the bike they own. Time to stop fetishizing the bikes; it does more to sully his legacy than enrich it.

e-RICHIE
05-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Exactly. I bet a lot of current owners would be surprised to learn that he did not actually weld, braze, or even paint the bike they own. Time to stop fetishizing the bikes; it does more to sully is legacy than enrich it.

Fetishing is fine; it's what drives most markets.
Even the new oven we just installed was an appliance I stalked and lavished over before handing over my Amex card.
But there's a time when each of us needs to look in the mirror and say back, "Yeah, I'm fetishing."

ps

arrange disorder

:):);)
:):);)
:p:p:cool:

Bici-Sonora
05-27-2020, 01:14 PM
I remember sitting near Dario and some of his crew at NAHBS, the year it was in Charlotte. They were eating a leisurely lunch accompanied by a bottle of red wine. Eventually a security guard came over and informed them that they were not allowed to drink alcohol there, so they downed what was left.
On the way back to the exhibit hall Dario posed, with a cigarette in hand, in front of a giant "No Smoking" sign, with a major twinkle in his eye.

That’s a great story—and we call ourselves a civilized country [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk