PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen Ti?

akelman
05-25-2020, 06:25 PM
Does anyone (and by "anyone," I probably mean "Ryun") have any experience with Speedvagen's Ti offerings? Or with their Rugged Road bikes?

akelman
05-25-2020, 06:26 PM
(I wonder if they're built by Mike D?)

Ryun
05-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Sorry no experience.
I’m a big SV fan but not sure they are who I would to to for ti.
But I’d love to hear how they translate the vagen feel with ti tubes.

akelman
05-25-2020, 06:50 PM
Sorry no experience.
I’m a big SV fan but not sure they are who I would to to for ti.
But I’d love to hear how they translate the vagen feel with ti tubes.

Exactly my thinking. Probably better to go with Firefly, but I'm VERY curious how a Ti 'Vagen would ride.

dbnm
05-25-2020, 07:14 PM
I emailed them in March about a ti bike.

Nothing crazy, pretty standard.

$14k.

akelman
05-25-2020, 07:22 PM

$14k.

Looking at their published pricing, I'm not clear how one would get to that number.

akelman
05-25-2020, 07:22 PM
I guess it depends what one means by "crazy."

dbnm
05-25-2020, 07:28 PM
Ti frame
enve fork
enve cockpit
force axs
enve 3.4 ar wheels.

no paint.

akelman
05-25-2020, 07:29 PM
Ti frame
enve fork
enve cockpit
force axs
enve 3.4 ar wheels.

no paint.

Oh my.

mtechnica
05-25-2020, 07:37 PM
You can find them used for... less...

Blown Reek
05-25-2020, 08:01 PM
Ti frame
enve fork
enve cockpit
force axs
enve 3.4 ar wheels.

no paint.

Not even RED?

Ryun
05-25-2020, 08:14 PM
Exactly my thinking. Probably better to go with Firefly, but I'm VERY curious how a Ti 'Vagen would ride.
I’m pretty curious too.
Also curious how they translate all the details to a ti frame.
The steel vagens have so many small details that have developed over the years: thin seat stays, headtube reinforcement, hollowed out brake bridge, stainless plates, machines out brake stops aNd barrel adjusters.
Having these in a ti frame would seem like more of a replica of a steel vagen then a further evolution of the ride.
I thought a bit about it before my last purchase. Ultimately I just chose the hard conditions upgrade to add some durability in the Florida humidity.

If you are going gravel, I think firefly has the most options and everything about their bikes are awesome except the wait. Can’t say enough good things about Tyler and Kevin.
If you were are going full road race, I would recommend the Bixxis Pathos. It was the best titanium race bike I’ve ever ridden out of the 7 or so I’ve had.
Not super customizable but if you want a go fast to bike hard to go wrong with Dorianos choices

akelman
05-25-2020, 08:31 PM
I’m pretty curious too.
Also curious how they translate all the details to a ti frame.
The steel vagens have so many small details that have developed over the years: thin seat stays, headtube reinforcement, hollowed out brake bridge, stainless plates, machines out brake stops aNd barrel adjusters.
Having these in a ti frame would seem like more of a replica of a steel vagen then a further evolution of the ride.
I thought a bit about it before my last purchase. Ultimately I just chose the hard conditions upgrade to add some durability in the Florida humidity.

If you are going gravel, I think firefly has the most options and everything about their bikes are awesome except the wait. Can’t say enough good things about Tyler and Kevin.
If you were are going full road race, I would recommend the Bixxis Pathos. It was the best titanium race bike I’ve ever ridden out of the 7 or so I’ve had.
Not super customizable but if you want a go fast to bike hard to go wrong with Dorianos choices

I almost certainly need something custom, unfortunately, because of my stupid back.

I've got a Routt 45 that's been serving me extremely well, so I'm in no rush at all. That said, I wouldn't mind something a bit better suited to paved roads and the occasional packed dirt road, something that'll accommodate a 35 easily but doesn't need to have much more room than that. The steel Rugged Road looks very appealing.

Peter B
05-25-2020, 09:02 PM
Ari,

I saw the SV ti offerings in this year's 'catalog'. As the owner of a 2010 RV it is tempting. But at the asking price and with a currently anonymous welder I'd look to Built, Firefly, Potts or a number of others first. But that's just me.

If I learned Mike was wielding the tig torch then maybe I'd rethink my game.

IJWS
05-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Isn't this related to Stong no longer offering Steel frames as the tubeset cost difference between steel and Ti is so low that 90% of people opt for Ti? It seems like SV isn't being clear about why they would offer Ti. Probably only about 5 people ever said "I like Speedvagen but I wish they were made from another material"...

uber
05-25-2020, 09:22 PM
Mike DeSalvo makes his own Ti gravel bike. Seven and No 22 make great stuff too. I would be pretty happy with a steel SV gravel bike. Too many great choices!

sailorboy
05-25-2020, 09:24 PM

$14k.

Wow. This seems like the 'we don't really want to do this, but if you insist' price. Surely they can't think they can compete with other established Ti-capable houses that have been doing it for much longer?!

dbnm
05-25-2020, 09:31 PM
Well the similarly equipped Moots is $11k, Mosaic is $13k, Bingham was about $10k.

SV were on top of the pile.

All are amazing bikes but my budget was not that high.

Peter P.
05-25-2020, 09:37 PM
I'll bet the tube manipulation Speedvagen does to titanium to mimic their steel frames-the tapered headtube and the multi-dimensional seatstays-has got to be labor intensive. Titanium doesn't bend easily. I could see that justifying the high price.

akelman
05-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Ari,

I saw the SV ti offerings in this year's 'catalog'. As the owner of a 2010 RV it is tempting. But at the asking price and with a currently anonymous welder I'd look to Built, Firefly, Potts or a number of others first. But that's just me.

If I learned Mike was wielding the tig torch then maybe I'd rethink my game.

Yeah, Peter. The truth is, I've got a Ti bike and don't need another. But as you know, I love the material, and I love Speedvagen, so my eyes got wide and my heart started racing.

pbarry
05-25-2020, 09:41 PM
I'll bet the tube manipulation Speedvagen does to titanium to mimic their steel frames-the tapered headtube and the multi-dimensional seatstays-has got to be labor intensive. Titanium doesn't bend easily. I could see that justifying the high price.

Almost everyone bends their stays these days. ;). If that’s what drives the cost up then Black 🐑 is giving their product away.