PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong -- canti to VBrake conversion

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 01:33 PM
So...I took off a perfectly good set of Pauls cantis on my Litespeed Blue Ridge, and am in the process of installing TRP CX8.4 vbrakes.

I've done this on a couple of other bikes and haven't had an issue.

On this bike, there's only one locating hole on the rear brake bosses for the spring locator. On the right side, I get enough tension in the spring for the brake to stay off the rim. On the left, the spring stays slack and the shoe stays against the rim.

Looks like I need these to provide more tension on the spring...will they mount behind the screw-in canti mounts?

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/frame-building-parts/brake-mounting-components/bk1010-stainless-steel-brake-ring.html

Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

johnniecakes
05-25-2020, 01:41 PM
I believe these brakes have tension adjustment screw that change the preload on the tension spring. I haven’t set any up lately but I am fairly sure you can adjust the tension by turning in or backing the adjustment screw

mtechnica
05-25-2020, 01:45 PM
The pin might not be rotated far enough, you might have to put the pin in the hole with the arm facing at a way greater angle, then swing it back around and it will have a lot of tension. Idk if that made any sense.

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 01:47 PM
I believe these brakes have tension adjustment screw that change the preload on the tension spring. I haven’t set any up lately but I am fairly sure you can adjust the tension by turning in or backing the adjustment screw

Been playing with that...not getting any tension in...

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Weird. Just swapped left rear/right front arms and now both sets have sufficient tension.

The bosses on the Alpha Q fork have those 3 hole plates, and the front takes the first, which gives the most tension.

Not sure why that arm, now on the rear, works, but I'm not questioning it. :)

Have to remember to reverse pads. :)

robt57
05-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Are you sure the end of the spring is behind the little catch on that one side?

Hindmost
05-25-2020, 04:01 PM
Have to remember to reverse pads. :)

Don't worry, we will remind you once you post a picture here.

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Are you sure the end of the spring is behind the little catch on that one side?

Yes, thanks!

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Don't worry, we will remind you once you post a picture here.

I appreciate that. Pics forthcoming...after I reverse the pads. :)

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 05:47 PM
First pic is of the full bike. Second is of the rear brake setup...

robt57
05-25-2020, 05:55 PM
Yes, thanks!Doesn't seem to be in your pic?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

C40_guy
05-25-2020, 06:07 PM
Doesn't seem to be in your pic?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yea, those things are pretty fiddly...it was the port side that was the issue, not that side. That spring must have popped out when I swapped the arms front/rear.

Good eye.

robertbb
05-25-2020, 10:38 PM
When anyone says TRP CX8.4, my immediate reaction is "cool, Campy build!"

If you havn't already, throw this in the Gravel bike picture thread!

I'm doing something similar - looking forward to also sharing pics when it's done.

Gummee
05-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Yea, those things are pretty fiddly...it was the port side that was the issue, not that side. That spring must have popped out when I swapped the arms front/rear.

Good eye.

An alternative is to grab that spring and bend it more. I use the screwdriver I'm using to adjust the brake. Insert at the boss on the frame as a fulcrum and push the spring down/out more.

Works best on cheap brakes, but I've had to do it on more expensive stuff as well

M

choke
05-26-2020, 08:10 AM
What am I doing wrong

I took off a perfectly good set of Pauls cantisAsked and answered.

I couldn't resist. :)

C40_guy
05-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Asked and answered.

I couldn't resist. :)

Yea. That.

And to make matters worse, I already sold them, so there's no (easy) going back...

I do have a set of late '80s Super Record side pulls, though. Wonder if they'll clear those Clements. :)