PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen fitting

s4life
05-25-2020, 01:26 PM
I found it puzzling that I am not able to make the SV work size wise without going the custom route. I need 76.5cm center bb to top of the saddle and max 55cm c-t-c top tube. The SV 54 is too short -- saddle range is way below 76.5mm -- and the 56's top tube length is beyond what I am comfortable with. I guess I am reading something wrong, because I've never had any problems with standard geometry for any other bike.

akelman
05-25-2020, 01:29 PM
I haven't looked at new 'Vagens in ages, but it used to be that between the angles and the integrated post, the top tubes rode shorter than they measured.

akelman
05-25-2020, 01:30 PM
Also, I encourage you to call the Workshop. They're very nice people and usually happy to talk about fit with a potential customer.

Ryun
05-25-2020, 01:39 PM
I haven't looked at new 'Vagens in ages, but it used to be that between the angles and the integrated post, the top tubes rode shorter than they measured.

This is correct.
When you factor in saddle setback with their Seat tube angles, you’ll find the reach to be a good bit shorter than what you might expect

livesadventure
05-25-2020, 03:25 PM
My impression was that with stock sizing they cut the seat tube to your measurement. Worth a call, they have excellent customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yinzerniner
05-25-2020, 05:07 PM
I found it puzzling that I am not able to make the SV work size wise without going the custom route. I need 76.5cm center bb to top of the saddle and max 55cm c-t-c top tube. The SV 54 is too short -- saddle range is way below 76.5mm -- and the 56's top tube length is beyond what I am comfortable with. I guess I am reading something wrong, because I've never had any problems with standard geometry for any other bike.

When you say c-t-c top tube I assume you mean effective top tube, as center to center is generally reserved for seat tube measurements. But others have stated Speedvagen includes seatmast sizing in their standard orders.
In the guidebook: https://www.speedvagen.com/2020-guidebook
Our framesets include the custom-sized seatmast and saddle assembly saving you up to $350 on the final build.

Also keep in mind that you'll need to keep saddle stack in mind as they vary greatly, and you'll need to give SV the desired "center of rails" height so they can size the seatmast correctly for your desired saddle height. With the old one-bolt Enve hardware you could flip the clamps to take away ~7mm of saddle height, but the new toppers use the two bolt system.

uber
05-25-2020, 05:19 PM
I agree that it is pretty likely that standard fits on other bikes will likely find you a stock SV that could work. I owned and sold a stock SV, and now have a custom geo SV. The difference is pretty significant in feel and performance for me. Sacha does a very detailed fit process, and although pricey, it really made my frame a pleasure for me to ride.
With all the polarizing opinions on this website pro and con for Vanilla/SV/Sacha, I really think the emphasis should be on his ability to dial in a race fit. The fancy paint/painted hubs/etc really are superfluous to a great fitting steel frame bike. I hope you find one that you love.

Peter P.
05-25-2020, 05:39 PM
OP-how long of a stem are you currently using?

Interestingly, using the Speedvagen sizing, I too find myself sizing up so my saddle height is within the range, but then the top tube is too long.

My first (unfounded, mind you) conclusion was they deliberately designed their sizing to entice people to choose Custom, with the commensurate upcharge. ;)

charliedid
05-25-2020, 06:53 PM

Are you considering the entire geo? How different is the seat angles you are comparing? When you say the TT is beyond what you are comfy with, how much? Also BB drop comes into play. A cm lower (from 7 to 8) reduces relative drop to the bars.

s4life
05-26-2020, 03:25 AM
Thank you all for the feedback, perhaps the 56 works after considering other aspects of the geo. I'll be calling the good folks at Vanilla Workshop to confirm.

And yes, I did mean effective tt, not c-t-c.

Cheers,