PDA

View Full Version : Thomson titanium seatpost

bicycletricycle
05-25-2020, 09:22 AM
I didn't know Thomson titanium seatposts existed. They look like they have been launched relatively recently. Anyone have one? They look to be a little heavier and are made in Taiwan. I kind of want one but I am not sure exactly why......

T-Crush
05-25-2020, 01:10 PM
I kind of want one but I am not sure exactly why......

A common thought on my end. Thank God I'm not alone...

Latestart
05-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Straight posts only.. i'm safe...

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/titanium-seatpost/

Velocipede
05-25-2020, 01:16 PM
I didn't know Thomson titanium seatposts existed. They look like they have been launched relatively recently. Anyone have one? They look to be a little heavier and are made in Taiwan. I kind of want one but I am not sure exactly why......

I have had one for almost a year. They are really nice. They showed them at NAHBS Hartford and they started shipping that summer. They have just been pushing them more recently but they've been available for some time now. Made by the same people who make the ti bars. Great quality. Yeah, a bit heavy compared to some seatposts out there. But if you want a super adjustable, durable post that looks good and of course will match a ti frame and the rest of the kit you have, it's a great choice.

Jeff N.
05-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Can't stand the look of T's seatposts....stems either...so I'd say I'm pretty safe.

p nut
05-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Straight posts only.. i'm safe...

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/titanium-seatpost/

Thomson set backs are one of the ugliest bike parts ever made anyway. Right up there with Lauf forks.

pbarry
05-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Man you are swinging that bat wildly! :eek:

NHAero
05-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Agreed on the Thomson setback posts! +1000! They always look to me as if they failed.

Thomson set backs are one of the ugliest bike parts ever made anyway. Right up there with Lauf forks.

phoenix
05-25-2020, 04:53 PM
The last time NAHBS was in Sacramento, I swear I recall them saying that they were working on a new setback post. Maybe it was the ti, but I do recall hearing it was going to be a redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERK55
05-25-2020, 07:12 PM
They have been working on a setback post for at least 6-8 years. Strange considering I can think of at least 10-12 other manufacturers who have been making them forever.
It’s like some kind of phobia or something.

charliedid
05-25-2020, 07:39 PM
They have been working on a setback post for at least 6-8 years. Strange considering I can think of at least 10-12 other manufacturers who have been making them forever.

I wonder what the setback is? :):p:help:

Velocipede
05-25-2020, 10:14 PM
The last time NAHBS was in Sacramento, I swear I recall them saying that they were working on a new setback post. Maybe it was the ti, but I do recall hearing it was going to be a redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what the setback is? :):p:help:

They've been working on it for a couple years. I still have one of the prototypes. It works fine. It looks much better than the regular one. It's 25mm setback.

Clancy
05-26-2020, 07:15 AM
They've been working on it for a couple years. I still have one of the prototypes. It works fine. It looks much better than the regular one. It's 25mm setback.

Can you make a guess as to why it hasn’t made it into production yet?

charliedid
05-26-2020, 07:38 AM
Thanks

I was joking about setback as in why it's taking so long. Let's face it they are reacting to a segment that does not like the design of the current bent post. In designing this new SP they are also having to design and feel comfortable with the head working as well as the original.

SlowPokePete
05-26-2020, 08:12 AM
My favorite ti seatpost is on my Kona Raijin...Blacksheep built with a Thomson head.

SPP

dddd
05-26-2020, 12:55 PM
My favorite ti seatpost is on my Kona Raijin...Blacksheep built with a Thomson head.

SPP

That begs the question, how is the current ti seatpost manufactured? Is it machined from one piece of bar stock?

I recall that their now 20-something year-old design was perhaps made from a long extrusion, from which metal is machined away and then with the optional bend introduced.

This would perhaps explain why an offset design would have to be made differently, or having to machine away a lot more metal off of what would be a most hefty and awkward-to-make new extrusion.

Great clamp and crazy-high standards from this brand. No new (possibly two-piece?) offset version will come to market without extensive, long-term testing having first been completed. I wouldn't be surprised if this new offset design will be one-piece and based on a cold forging instead of any extrusion.

bicycletricycle
05-26-2020, 01:00 PM
when they get that new setback post made I will be putting it on a lot of my bicycles.

Velocipede
05-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Can you make a guess as to why it hasn’t made it into production yet?

Funny story. So many people complained that the "bent" post was ugly. So they decided to come up with the new design. BUT, when they showed it, the majority response was, don't do it. We like the old post! Just like the fine machining marks on the parts. Same silly issues. Public perception.

Thanks

I was joking about setback as in why it's taking so long. Let's face it they are reacting to a segment that does not like the design of the current bent post. In designing this new SP they are also having to design and feel comfortable with the head working as well as the original.

See comment above. Note though, the new tea works the exact same as the old. Just with the offset built into it. No difference in the function.

That begs the question, how is the current ti seatpost manufactured? Is it machined from one piece of bar stock?

I recall that their now 20-something year-old design was perhaps made from a long extrusion, from which metal is machined away and then with the optional bend introduced.

This would perhaps explain why an offset design would have to be made differently, or having to machine away a lot more metal off of what would be a most hefty and awkward-to-make new extrusion.

Great clamp and crazy-high standards from this brand. No new (possibly two-piece?) offset version will come to market without extensive, long-term testing having first been completed. I wouldn't be surprised if this new offset design will be one-piece and based on a cold forging instead of any extrusion.

I have some pre-CNC samples of things. I'll post pics later. But the post is made from extruded bar stock and then machined down. The bent post is the same as the straight, just bent afterwards. They all start life from the same bar stock. I even have a stem blank here somewhere.

when they get that new setback post made I will be putting it on a lot of my bicycles.

I wish they would make it. I need an offset post on most bikes so this would be great to have as I like their stuff. I think it looks nice, and much nicer than the "bent" post.

cinema
05-27-2020, 09:06 AM

i remember seeing prototypes or talks of this like... ten years ago here. not likely to ever happen. i have come to accept the ugly bent post over the years but would like to change it up. it's not very attractive. but it works better than the rest

dddd
05-27-2020, 01:57 PM
...I have some pre-CNC samples of things. I'll post pics later. But the post is made from extruded bar stock and then machined down. The bent post is the same as the straight, just bent afterwards. They all start life from the same bar stock. I even have a stem blank here somewhere...

Were you referring to the titanium post here?

I didn't know that titanium was ever extruded to make things.
Reason I asked was that I wondered if the ti post had to be drilled out it's entire length from billet stock, or if the ti post was a weldment(?).

thirdgenbird
05-27-2020, 03:06 PM
I am one of the few that is pro bent post. It won’t go on everything, but it’s a great match on some alloy frames that have a bit of an industrial style or a road bike that has a -17 steel quill stem. Now, on something with smooth tube joints or flowing lines? That will look out of place.