PDA

View Full Version : Track Bike Upgrade

Miranda
05-15-2004, 08:06 AM
I currently have a Croll 4130 Chromoly Steel Track bike and am considering upgrading for next season. Which Serotta model would be the best suited for the track? A steel Colorado III for sprinting as an example? I am fairly new to this.

Thank You!

Miranda

Smiley
05-16-2004, 03:41 PM
C-III or Ottrott are my only 2 choices . Track specific geometry ofcourse .

oracle
05-16-2004, 03:55 PM
buy a major taylor, erm, whatever they (cannondale) now call it, then purchace some real wheels, and be ahead of the game. especially if you are new at this wickedness, this baleful horror that is track racing.

oracle

Dr. Doofus
05-16-2004, 03:58 PM
The Doc and I used to ride a lot of pursuit, which is different animal than sprinting or points racing or Madison, but in general, ride comfort is not an issue on a track bike unless you're dodging potholes at Kissema or Northbrook...so forget the $ for Ti...or even for the Ottrott...if you want a Serotta, get a CIII.... But for the bucks of a CIII with track dropouts and a track fork there are a number of AL options that will get the job done for less...of course, the Doc says that unless you're a 1 on the track it probably doesn't matter what you ride, fitness, cunning, wisdom, and experience will all do more for you than a new bike...but we do by all means recommend Serottas, so buy a CIII as your new road bike, ride it a lot, and then find a sponsor who you can impress/con/manipulate into shelling out for your spankynew CIII track bike next year....

Miranda
05-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Two days ago at the National Sports Center Velodrome in Blaine, MN I saw two bigger riders each try twice to sprint off the line with their new team Bianchi Pista Concept aluminum track bikes but their wheels got pulled in from the rear wheel mount! The frames flexed and they ended up falling and being very frustrated with their new bikes! I thought even though I do not have their power nor size maybe I should stick with steel after seeing what happened to them. Besides sprints I'd like to do pursuit also. Besides a Serotta CIII what about the new CXII frame made for the track? Light and stiff?

I realize that with racing most of my results will depend on my ability but cycling has always been a passion of mine, Serotta is a team sponsor and I'd like to have something a little different from everyone else while riding a premium frame. I have not seen any Serotta's at the track yet. Instead of purchasing a sports car I like owning/enjoying and racing bicycles!

Thank You!

Miranda

Dr. Doofus
05-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Waaitttaminute:

Serotta is a sponsor, and you're asking this bunch of nitwits?

GetthatCIIInow...yerrnotpayinforit!!!!!

One cheap loser talkin out his backside,

D.D.

Miranda
05-16-2004, 05:44 PM
The elite team gets their Serotta's to ride. I am not on the elite team but I get a shop discount. It will still cost alot though!