PDA

View Full Version : How much seatpost is too much? (or when is a frame too small)

pooneej
05-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Long ago an old school racer told me to get the smallest, lightest frame. I never really did as I wasnt so much into bike racing but more into running and biathlon (they call it duathlon now).

So-check this out: I know its prob just showroom but wow that's a lot of seatpost. Anyway - is there such a thing as too much seatpost (and yeah discounting the min insert thing on them).

fa63
05-24-2020, 06:15 PM
No way anyone is actually riding it like that. But in the slim chance it is real, that is too much seatpost indeed :)

zmudshark
05-24-2020, 06:16 PM
If there is such a thing as too much seatpost, this is it.

eBAUMANN
05-24-2020, 06:24 PM
That's how you keep scratches on a seatpost to the bare minimum before a customer purchases it ;)

FWIW - that is an enve post...which is only like 400mm long...which means about 1cm of it is inserted in that bike.
It is NOT being ridden like that. 100% impossible.

nmrt
05-24-2020, 06:45 PM
t-rex bike co.
we serve everyone. even those extinct.

Latestart
05-24-2020, 08:34 PM
That stops: (1) test 'leg overs' and (2) ANYONE riding off!

robt57
05-24-2020, 08:42 PM
When you ignore the minimum insertion set by the manufacturer. Unless the post is not stiff enough and loss of pedaling efficiency occurs as a results I guess.

Better question IMO is when is the stack way too little.

Now if we are talking aesthetics, perhaps a different answer and subjective...

dzxc
05-24-2020, 09:05 PM
That seems like too much, but really the only thing that is too much from a physical perspective is past the minimum insertion line. Otherwise it's aesthetics and personal preference on those. I once posted a few photos of a bike i was really proud of and out a lot of work into on the "across the hall(?)" forum and got ripped by a number of people saying it was too high, even though it was several inches below the minimum insert line.

Needless to say, that's when I stopped contributing any money to that forum via membership fees.

In the end, if you like it and enjoy it, and it's safe (i.e. below min insert line), do what makes you happy.

zmudshark
05-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Seriously, I think that's just for display. Like Latestart said, no legs over to try it out.

ergott
05-24-2020, 09:46 PM
Here's a real example.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Whitmores-Landscaping-Super/i-qH58TGh/0/c04728e4/XL/_MG_3126-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Whitmores-Landscaping-Super/i-HsSn43J/0/b38d21e5/XL/_MG_3386-XL.jpg

zmudshark
05-24-2020, 10:15 PM
Here's a real example.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Whitmores-Landscaping-Super/i-qH58TGh/0/c04728e4/XL/_MG_3126-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Cycling/Whitmores-Landscaping-Super/i-HsSn43J/0/b38d21e5/XL/_MG_3386-XL.jpg

Looks like it works!

ergott
05-24-2020, 10:16 PM
Trebon did pretty well

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
05-24-2020, 10:24 PM
Trebon can ride whatever he wants. When you're that fast, all rules are off. Just ask Adam Hansen.

I'd generally say things start looking out of whack aesthetically when your exposed seatpost is longer than your headtube. Just throws the bike out of visual balance.

Waldo62
05-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Long ago an old school racer told me to get the smallest, lightest frame. I never really did as I wasnt so much into bike racing but more into running and biathlon (they call it duathlon now).

So-check this out: I know its prob just showroom but wow that's a lot of seatpost. Anyway - is there such a thing as too much seatpost (and yeah discounting the min insert thing on them).

Still more seat tube than seat post, so this is perfectly acceptable in my book...
NOT!!!

bitpuddle
05-25-2020, 12:50 AM
Funny - I have the same frame and I think it’s a little small for me. Not quite that extreme, but could probably ride a slightly larger one.

I often find myself between a M and L or 54 and 56 in production frame, and it is easier to fit the smaller frame than the larger one.

I suspect that bike Hans never been ridden and they are trying to keep the seatpost immaculate, but who knows.

pdmtong
05-25-2020, 12:59 AM
Trebon can ride whatever he wants. When you're that fast, all rules are off. Just ask Adam Hansen.

I'd generally say things start looking out of whack aesthetically when your exposed seatpost is longer than your headtube. Just throws the bike out of visual balance.

I saw Ryan race sea otter once. Looked like a giant versus the others

oliver1850
05-25-2020, 01:23 AM
I've never liked sloping top tubes because I end up having to scrounge for longer posts. Here's one of the few slopers that I ride.

Imaking20
05-25-2020, 01:24 AM

This might actually just be a sign of getting old? :bike:

Stainomo
05-25-2020, 02:26 AM
https://i.ibb.co/WGDJQ38/Capture.png (https://ibb.co/2W84w6V)

This is what happens when you are 6ft7, more legs than body and buy a (second hand) bike which is too small.

A 400mm seatpost about limit + 10mm inserted in the frame, I have ridden it for +- 10k km over the last 2 years, mountain vacations but also the cobbles of Flanders and I'd do 10km more!

FlashUNC
05-25-2020, 03:46 AM
This might actually just be a sign of getting old? :bike:

Nah. It's generally a sign you're either a domestic or world tour pro, built like Ralph Dibney, or someone put you on a bike that doesn't fit.

fignon's barber
05-25-2020, 06:25 AM
Always funny when experts on a bike forum decide if a bike fits by looking at a static photo of a bike, without ever seeing the rider on it, and knowing nothing about the rider.

Imaking20
05-25-2020, 07:50 AM
"Seatpost should be longer than the head tube" alienates any bike with compact geometry and/or sorta only supports short legged people riding endurance bikes.

Nothing to do with being a "pro" and, as stated above, is a stretch to use as a basis for challenging ones bike fit. My Tarmac has A LOT more post than this 1:1 ratio. The bike fitter I've worked with for years is a fit instructor for Specialized / Body Geometry.

colker
05-25-2020, 10:02 AM
A bike is too small when front center, wheelbase or stack or reach is too small. You don´t measure socks to know if jersey is too tight.