PDA

View Full Version : Bora magic ?

booglebug
05-23-2020, 08:30 PM
Looking to build a wheel set comparable to Bora 35’s. Keep hearing the praise the wheel gets and was wondering what combination would come close to the magic these wheels seem to possess. Not a fan of the looks of the lacing pattern on the rear wheel and also like to ride wheels that I have built. 175lb rider currently riding Boyd 44 mm carbon and higher end aluminum clinchers, hilly terrain. Thinking DT 240 or White Industry hubs. Not looking to break the bank as a Bora One can be had at around $1500.

jpritchet74
05-23-2020, 08:32 PM
I picked my Bora One 35’s up here on the forum used for under $1000 shipped.

Just as a reference point.

I had had a set of FSE35’s laced to Carbon-Ti hubs and on paper they were superior to the Boras in every way. Lighter, more aero. But the Boras have something special and I haven’t looked back.

booglebug
05-23-2020, 08:43 PM
I picked my Bora One 35’s up here on the forum used for under $1000 shipped.

Just as a reference point.

I had had a set of FSE35’s laced to Carbon-Ti hubs and on paper they were superior to the Boras in every way. Lighter, more aero. But the Boras have something special and I haven’t looked back.

That’s what I keep hearing, the magic can’t be duplicated!

prototoast
05-23-2020, 08:50 PM
I haven't used the boras, but I've ridden other campagnolo wheels, and my understanding is that a lot of the magic is in the spoke system. So when you say you want to recreate the magic with a different spoke system, you're not recreating the magic.

booglebug
05-23-2020, 10:41 PM
I haven't used the boras, but I've ridden other campagnolo wheels, and my understanding is that a lot of the magic is in the spoke system. So when you say you want to recreate the magic with a different spoke system, you're not recreating the magic.

Not what I wanted to hear but it does make sense, think they call it G3 lacing? Could that be where the magic is? I’m thinking the rear wheel has a lot to do with the ride quality in any wheel set.

denapista
05-23-2020, 11:01 PM
I rode Bora wheels and felt underwhelmed... I had a custom set of Tune hubs laced to Schmolke rims and they were the fastest wheels I've owned.

Campy stuff is good and it looks good but there's nothing like a handbuilt set of wheels that weigh less than Campy/Shimano wheels..

Bora is like the seasoned steak packs at Trader Joes, because you're too lazy to season your own ribeye at home..

Tickdoc
05-23-2020, 11:23 PM
I love mine... but I love my shamals almost as much. I find my old enve 3.4 to be just as fast, But no where near as tough or trustworthy as the boras. They are designed and made really really well.

tsarpepe
05-23-2020, 11:39 PM
Bora is like the seasoned steak packs at Trader Joes, because you're too lazy to season your own ribeye at home..

This comparison is grossly off...

KarlC
05-23-2020, 11:40 PM
I rode Bora wheels and felt underwhelmed...

That's how I felt, maybe there was to much hype ?

denapista
05-24-2020, 12:00 AM
That's how I felt, maybe there was to much hype ?

I can't count the wheels I've ridden in the last 10 years. Seriously.. Bora's were the wheels that stood out as bland seasoning to me..

The bora 35 was better than the 50, but lacikng behind the handbuilt wheels I've ridden.

booglebug
05-24-2020, 12:23 AM
I can't count the wheels I've ridden in the last 10 years. Seriously.. Bora's were the wheels that stood out as bland seasoning to me..

The bora 35 was better than the 50, but lacikng behind the handbuilt wheels I've ridden.

This is what I’m looking for, can you give examples?

Toddykins
05-24-2020, 12:38 AM
I love mine... but I love my shamals almost as much. I find my old enve 3.4 to be just as fast, But no where near as tough or trustworthy as the boras. They are designed and made really really well.

What was 'untough and untrustworthy' about the 3.4s? In my experience (8 or so sets from edge 45s through 4.5ars and various MTB, assorted hubs/spokes), they are bombproof. The early braking surfaces left a bit to be desired, but that is true of most carbon.

I think Boras are cool too.

Ride whatever makes you feel good.

robertbb
05-24-2020, 03:18 AM
The 3k carbon weave on the One/Ultra 35 looks stunning, and they are SUPER wheels but they are outperformed by the newer WTO series.

Ultra for a wall art bike (for the beautiful weave and carbon hubshell/flanges)
WTO for performance (rim looks a bit generic though)

Skip the Bora one. It’s no-mans-land

Caballero
05-24-2020, 05:48 AM
Skip the Bora one. It’s no-mans-land

Not this. Get the bora one. Ultras a waste of money. :banana:

fignon's barber
05-24-2020, 06:54 AM

I would agree with this.

Lionel
05-24-2020, 07:07 AM
I rode Bora wheels and felt underwhelmed... I had a custom set of Tune hubs laced to Schmolke rims and they were the fastest wheels I've owned.

Campy stuff is good and it looks good but there's nothing like a handbuilt set of wheels that weigh less than Campy/Shimano wheels..

Exact opposite example here. All the handbuilt wheels I had (and I had a lot) where all vastly inferior to Boras. As for Tune they are the biggest POS hubs out there. They should not even be allowed to be compared with Campy Bora hubs.

oldpotatoe
05-24-2020, 07:20 AM
Looking to build a wheel set comparable to Bora 35’s. Keep hearing the praise the wheel gets and was wondering what combination would come close to the magic these wheels seem to possess. Not a fan of the looks of the lacing pattern on the rear wheel and also like to ride wheels that I have built. 175lb rider currently riding Boyd 44 mm carbon and higher end aluminum clinchers, hilly terrain. Thinking DT 240 or White Industry hubs. Not looking to break the bank as a Bora One can be had at around $1500.

WI, Aivee or DT240 hubs laced to BTLOS rims with dimensions similar to Bora 35s could work. Similar spokes and lacing. About $1100 or so if you build them.

Agree on 'Ultra' or ceramic anything, bearing wise..Does nothing but empty your wallet on anything 'bike' and if the bearing cones and races aren't hardened, can be less reliable than all steel 'stuff'.

robertbb
05-24-2020, 07:35 AM
My point was, if you want a performance wheel and you actually plan to ride it on anything other than a Sunny Sunday get the newer "WTO" not the older "One". Because the WTO is a more modern, faster shape with a wider internal diameter.

For Sunny Sunday wheels on your "special" bike, the Ultra's are where it's at. Not because of the ceramic bearings - because of the gorgeous all-carbon hubs.

Tickdoc
05-24-2020, 07:43 AM
What was 'untough and untrustworthy' about the 3.4s? In my experience (8 or so sets from edge 45s through 4.5ars and various MTB, assorted hubs/spokes), they are bombproof. The early braking surfaces left a bit to be desired, but that is true of most carbon.

I think Boras are cool too.

Ride whatever makes you feel good.

Quality of bead seating has been my main problem with my early no real braking surface version.

Once I got away from carbon specific pads ( enve brand and swisstop) and switched to standard campy black, braking surface improved.

Mine are on 240 hubs and they have been flawless.

The quality of manufacture is superior with both my shamals and my boras, tho.

MoparPorsche
05-24-2020, 08:04 AM
If you want to replicate the Boras but don't like the spoke pattern, then let Campagnolo do it for you by getting the Fulcrum Speed series or Racing Zero carbon. Same wheel made by Campy initially marketed to attract the Shimano crowd but stands on its on, and same hubs fit both.

Jeff N.
05-24-2020, 08:21 AM
If you want to replicate the Boras but don't like the spoke pattern, then let Campagnolo do it for you by getting the Fulcrum Speed series or Racing Zero carbon. Same wheel made by Campy initially marketed to attract the Shimano crowd but stands on its on, and same hubs fit both.Agreed.

sailorboy
05-24-2020, 08:46 AM
I have bora 35 ultra clinchers on my Sachs and I can tell you they are faster in all situations than any wheel I've had in recent memory. They pick up speed quickly and hold it very easily. Great climbers and was very surprised at how unflappable they were in heavy crosswinds. They are the quiver-killer wheels imho. Just give yourself more braking distance in the heavy rain since they take a bit more effort to brake when wet.

jpritchet74
05-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Agreed.

audiojan
05-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Not sure you can build a set of wheels with the same ride quality as the Bora 35 One's for the same amount of money...

A MAJOR part of the magic are the hubs. It's the smoothest, most free rolling hubs short of some really high end ceramic bearing hubs (and even then, they're close!).

The other part of the Campy 35's is the lack of flex. I have ENVE's (6.7, 5.6 and 4.5AR), Bora 35, Bora WTO 60 and by far the least flex are the Bora 35's.

Honestly, I don't think you can beat them at $1500, and definitely not at $1000 or so you can get them used for.

sailorboy
05-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

Unless you get em used ;)

booglebug
05-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the insight, looks like you guys are starting to talk me into a set of Bora’s. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

jpritchet74
05-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Unless you get em used ;)

I get everything used. Well, mostly.....

m_sasso
05-24-2020, 10:44 AM
, Not sure you can build a set of wheels with the same ride quality as the Bora 35 One's for the same amount of money...

A MAJOR part of the magic are the hubs. It's the smoothest, most free rolling hubs short of some really high end ceramic bearing hubs (and even then, they're close!).

The other part of the Campy 35's is the lack of flex. I have ENVE's (6.7, 5.6 and 4.5AR), Bora 35, Bora WTO 60 and by far the least flex are the Bora 35's.

Honestly, I don't think you can beat them at $1500, and definitely not at $1000 or so you can get them used for.

Eurus, Shamal, and Bora same hub for years, axels, cones, bearings, free hub .... etc parts interchangeable.

Clean39T
05-24-2020, 11:09 AM
If you want to replicate the Boras but don't like the spoke pattern, then let Campagnolo do it for you by getting the Fulcrum Speed series or Racing Zero carbon. Same wheel made by Campy initially marketed to attract the Shimano crowd but stands on its on, and same hubs fit both.Have some for sale if anyone wants to test this....but (spoiler) it's accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

vincenz
05-24-2020, 01:33 PM
Campy makes the best hubs in the biz