PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions: frame deposit - go gravel or MTB?

brownhound
05-23-2020, 08:16 PM
I have a titanium frame deposit, and my number is nearly up.

Originally, I had planned a gravel frame. Predictably, while waiting I found another (steel) gravel frame, which I'm pretty happy with. Of course, it doesn't fit quite as well as a custom, but is a pretty fun ride.

Consequently, I starting thinking of a hardtail or even full suspension, if I want to pay the premium. I haven't done much mountain biking over the past several years, but have been wanting to get back into it. More off road, fewer cars, etc.

Since I'd essentially be returning to mountain biking, my opinions are less refined - just an all-around for XC and some trail. And, of course, mountain bikes are a little more "loosely" fit than road bikes, so perhaps custom is overkill for a novice.

So...any opinions on what I should do?

JAGI410
05-23-2020, 08:25 PM
Gravel. These bikes aren't changing as much geometry wise. Get a custom gravel bike and it'll be yours for life.

MTB changes all the time. Sometimes for the better. A custom MTB will be outdated in a few years. Plus you'll need to figure out what things in MTB geo you like to make sure it's incorporated into your custom.

djg21
05-23-2020, 08:27 PM
I don’t think I’d do a Ti full suspension MTB. Ti is flexible enough, and with full suspension, I’d think a bike would be really spongy. I loved my old Merlin hardtail, but I’m on the full suspension bandwagon now. I think a Ti is perfect for a hardtail or an unsuspended gravel bike. I have a gravel frame coming from Lynskey now.

eBAUMANN
05-23-2020, 08:31 PM
what do you want to use the bike for?

a lot of people buy gravel bikes and then just ride em on the road primarily.

personally, my "gravel bike" - that is, the bike I actually ride the most on gravel/dirt/trail/whatever - is a titanium hardtail 29er.

ive kinda settled on Ti 29ers as my own personal "if i could only have one" bike...they really can do just about anything well...except racing around on pavement chasing KOMs.

prototoast
05-23-2020, 08:49 PM
Does the builder have a specialty? If so, I'd go with that.

Hilltopperny
05-24-2020, 05:55 AM
I love my titanium gravel bike and it is great for the mixed terrain rides I find myself on. That being said a nice xc hardtail does great for gravel as well, but isn’t as versatile when hitting pavement. I enjoy both styles of bike and have been using my hardtail for the same dirt/sand/gravel roads that I take my gravel bike out on, but tend to drive to the start with the hardtail instead of riding from my front door like I do with the gravel bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddybikes
05-24-2020, 06:24 AM
Think out what you want in 5 years, don't let the "in" thing get too much into your thinking. That said, a gravel bike, but with mounts for fenders and racks, just in case touring could be in future. What's your age and "body issues" if you are older (like me) is your back stable (stack height) I wish looking back that my Firefly had 10-20mm more stack height after 2 fusions.

Lionel
05-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Gravel bikes are useful and shine for true mixed terrain rides, let's say 50/50 road/dirt. For dirt riding a Ti hardtail is much better.

brownhound
05-24-2020, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone.

Riding - if MTB, some gravel (fire roads), some trail. This bike is a 50th b-day present to myself for use over next 10 - 20 years. So I'm not going to be learning fast, technical train riding or begin racing.

My current gravel set up handles mixed terrain well, so a pure gravel bike would be redundant. Unless I got rid of the steel gravel bike.

Not hearing support the full suspension option, which is interesting.

Lionel
05-24-2020, 07:20 AM
For FS I would go with carbon.

R3awak3n
05-24-2020, 07:26 AM
Really depends on what you ride the most.

If you ride 80% gravel, 20% MTB I would not spend a bazillion dollars on the MTB, if the opposite then reverse it.

One thing is for sure, there are a lot more custom road/gravel/drop bar bikes than there are MTBs... Maybe its because geo changes too much or maybe sizing not as important on MTB as it is on drop bar bikes

ahsere
05-24-2020, 08:00 AM
My only mountain bike, a hardtail 29er, is a Large that I got because it was a good deal and I knew it would feel good because it was a friend's bike I had loaned on occasion. But I should be on a Medium according to my height, inseam and so on. That's why I would not pay custom money for a mountain bike of any sort, just too many great off the rack options one can easily make work. If I were in your situation I'd probably get the most versatile bike I can think of, a light Monster Cross or something like that, with room to play with the fit as I get older/less flexible.

Hilltopperny
05-24-2020, 08:05 AM
For FS I would go with carbon.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
05-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Hardtail

kiwisimon
05-24-2020, 08:20 AM
I'd say you know what you like with the gravel bike, talk to the builder and get your lifer gravel bike. Sell the steel unit and buy a used FS MTB. Invest the most in the bike you will use the most for the next 25 yrs.

Dave Ferris
05-24-2020, 09:14 AM

sparky33
05-24-2020, 10:18 AM
Gravel. These bikes aren't changing as much geometry wise. Get a custom gravel bike and it'll be yours for life.

MTB changes all the time. Sometimes for the better. A custom MTB will be outdated in a few years. Plus you'll need to figure out what things in MTB geo you like to make sure it's incorporated into your custom.
Yes^

MTB is a big tent, even hardtails vary quite a bit. Try a few good hardtails and figure out what you like before considering a custom hardtail. That said, a hardtail is a super versatile bike for riding anywhere. I ride my SC Highball 29er on a lot of varied gravel and xc trail, and it is all the hardtail I could want.

I ride my FS bike a lot less and could mostly do without it.

2metalhips
05-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Salsa Cutthroat, drop bar 29er mountain bike. Gravel, monster gravel, double track, single track, very versatile.

scoobydrew
05-24-2020, 01:33 PM
If you're limited to only one new bike in the stable for a while, I'd get a XC-ish hardtail MTB (see joosttx's Bingham Built). Versatile enough to have fun on trails, but not too aggressive to grind through tame fire roads and climbs.

If you can pick up more than one bike now or in the near future, I'd get a custom gravel bike and get a hardtail or FS MTB on the side.

tomato coupe
05-24-2020, 01:47 PM
So...any opinions on what I should do?
Ask the frame builder to move you down on the wait list. Make your decision in a year or two.

TheseGoTo11
05-24-2020, 04:45 PM
what do you want to use the bike for?

a lot of people buy gravel bikes and then just ride em on the road primarily.

personally, my "gravel bike" - that is, the bike I actually ride the most on gravel/dirt/trail/whatever - is a titanium hardtail 29er.

ive kinda settled on Ti 29ers as my own personal "if i could only have one" bike...they really can do just about anything well...except racing around on pavement chasing KOMs.

That sums up my opinion, too. And if you want a titanium hardtail 29er designed for drop bars, look to the Moots Baxter as a guide. My all-time favorite.

TheseGoTo11
05-24-2020, 04:50 PM
One more thought...if your idea of ideal MTB riding is more XC and fire roads, I’d put the FS bike out of the equation, regardless of material.

pdmtong
05-24-2020, 04:55 PM
now that disc mounting (flat) and axles (12 x 100/142) for road/gravel have stabilized I would put my money there in hopes of yielding a "forever" bike.

there is zero chance I would put that into a custom mtb unless you have a really specific use case or geo or need mounts routing or attachments that a stock yeti, ibis, santa cruz, or specialized lack. the rate of change in suspension and geometry for mtb is incongruent with spending $$$ on a custom unless of course you just love custom and its in your budget.

and for sure if you want FS...forget metal. carbon all the way.

quehill
05-24-2020, 07:56 PM
I dunno, aluminum FS mountain bikes work great too. It’s not clear to me that carbon offers any significant advantage outside of marketing. That said, I think we can all agree that ti FS bikes are a solution in search of a problem.

Cheers

pdmtong
05-24-2020, 08:01 PM
I dunno, aluminum FS mountain bikes work great too. It’s not clear to me that carbon offers any significant advantage outside of marketing. That said, I think we can all agree that ti FS bikes are a solution in search of a problem.
Cheers

yes and yes....

alexstar
05-24-2020, 08:23 PM
If you're still taking opinions, here's mine:

stick with your original plan; get the Ti gravel/all-road bike. Being custom, it will fit and handle better than the "interim" steel bike you have now. For an MTB, I wouldn't go custom. Tech is still changing so rapidly and stock bikes are so good.

Spoker
05-24-2020, 08:39 PM
You can get Chinese carbon HT MTB frames and forks for relatively little $ off ebay.
No need to spend a fortune for a lot of fun and versatility.
We abused them without problems.

djg
05-25-2020, 09:38 AM
I'd go gravel. If you were an mtb die-hard, maybe not, but for someone who likes varied kinds of riding who is thinking of getting back into trail riding . . . it doesn't seem that hard a choice. A good gravel bike might be a good all-rounder for 10-20 years (the OP's stated range), and one might really appreciate a great fit and other custom features, even if one can find something very good off the rack. With an mtb . . . I dunno, but things seem to change so much with time, and factors besides the frame itself seem pretty key. It's not that you couldn't still love a 2020 custom mtb in 2030, it just seems less likely that you'd love it nearly as much. I'll never race again, but I'm still glad to have my 8 year-old Spectrum Cross bike.

brownhound
05-28-2020, 09:56 AM
I appreciate everyone's advice on this topic. It was clarifying for me to ponder.

Especially good was the Moots Baxter suggestion. In the end, I ordered something like that - i.e., a gravel bike that can be outfitted with suspension fork, dropper post, and flat bars or a more standard gravel set up (rigid and dirt drop bars). I love the idea of doing adventure bike packing tours, local gravel events, and trail riding all on one bike.

I'll make sure to post more about it in the custom page as things progress. Really excited about it all now.

Vertical
05-28-2020, 11:12 AM
Have one made that can accept 650b by 2” tires. This is the setup that has the rest of my fleet gathering dust.

C40_guy
05-28-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone.

Riding - if MTB, some gravel (fire roads), some trail. This bike is a 50th b-day present to myself for use over next 10 - 20 years. So I'm not going to be learning fast, technical train riding or begin racing.

My current gravel set up handles mixed terrain well, so a pure gravel bike would be redundant. Unless I got rid of the steel gravel bike.

Not hearing support the full suspension option, which is interesting.

This is a forever bike? Get a Ti gravel bike. You'll have that for 10-20 years. Over that same period you'll probably go through 3-4 mountain bikes as technology changes.

And sell the steel gravel bike. Or keep it as an N+1. :)

My son had his first serious MTB ride a month ago. Last weekend he had his first serious gravel ride. He's been road riding for 15 years. Don't ask why we never got on the dirt together...guess we were too busy on the road....

Anyway, he loved the mountain bike. And then he loved gravel riding so much more!

Andy sti
05-28-2020, 11:35 AM
I appreciate everyone's advice on this topic. It was clarifying for me to ponder.

Especially good was the Moots Baxter suggestion. In the end, I ordered something like that - i.e., a gravel bike that can be outfitted with suspension fork, dropper post, and flat bars or a more standard gravel set up (rigid and dirt drop bars). I love the idea of doing adventure bike packing tours, local gravel events, and trail riding all on one bike.

I'll make sure to post more about it in the custom page as things progress. Really excited about it all now.

That's going to be sweet!! Any hints on who the builder is?:)

TheseGoTo11
05-28-2020, 12:47 PM

:banana:

dziekiel
05-28-2020, 03:50 PM
Had a similar debate but I think the gravel route is the best option. It just seems like much more work/expense/time to get out there into the trails where a FS MTB could really be justified than I currently have. Maybe as the kids get older that will change, but for now a gravel bike seems much more accesible/versatile.