PDA

View Full Version : Chris King R45D conversion; QR to thru axle

maslow
05-23-2020, 02:00 PM
I have a set of new r45 disc hubs I purchased a few years back. The hubs are the 6 bolt 135mm QR disc. I purchased the correct front and rear thru axles and planned to do the conversion myself. FYI I have the r45 tool set (although not sure it will help with this problem).

How does one remove the outboard drive-shell cartridge bearing (part no. PHB716) from the QT axle and install on to the thru axle (please forgive my ignorance if it’s not possible). I’ve read the r45/r45D manual but couldn’t spot the info. Nor on a google search.

I’ll try emailing Chris King but as it’s a weekend don’t expect to hear back. Wondered if a forumite here might have had this same question.

FWIW all parts are brand new and unused.

quickfeet
05-23-2020, 02:16 PM
It’s just pressed on there. They get stuck pretty good sometimes. Just hold the axle vertically on a table (with the bearing at the top of the axle) or something and use both your thumbs on each side of the bearing and pull down hard on it.

maslow
05-23-2020, 02:32 PM
That’s great.

I had to put quite a bit of weight on it but eventually it came off. Many thanks for the speedy reply.