PDA

View Full Version : Record chainring question

saab2000
05-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I have a new 2004 Record carbon crankset. My average speed has increased about 1.1 mph and I am able to ride about 1 gear higher because of this carbon crank.......... NOT!

Serious question kids - where do I find a chainring for this crankset? Campagnolo has, for 2004, adopted a new "champagne" finish and new chainring bolts which require a special tool. The crank came with 39-53 rings and I would like to get a 42 for the riding here in the US I do. A normal ring would probably work fine, but then the color would not match. Not a big deal, you say? Wrong! The crank cost about $700 and I would like the rings to match. I have checked the usual source for superb support of Campagnolo small replacement parts, Branford, and they do not have this listed. Of course, they do have normal ones, but not the new 2004 finish.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone have any suggestions? I might actually have to consult with an LBS.... Perish the thought!!! :rolleyes:

vaxn8r
05-14-2004, 10:26 PM
If you get a DA 10 crankset you really will be 1.1 mph faster.

What no hills in DC? Come on out to Oregon and we'll find you some ;)

saab2000
05-15-2004, 07:14 AM
....to ride your hills when you come to Switzerland to ride my former hills! :beer:

Over there I really did use the 39. I am currently riding in Appleton, WI which is REALLY flat. Actually, there are a few "hills" and gradients, but nothing really.

I would like to have a 53-42 and then on the rear have an 11-23 Chorus cassette. Or a 12-23 Centaur.

The DC area has some good terrain. But no real biggies. At least not compared with my other home country of Switzerland.

va rider
05-15-2004, 07:55 AM
DC area has no hills?

Have you ever ridden Skyline Drive? Check it out.

http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/skyline/index.htm

Or, if you like something with some more pitch, try Mount Weather.

http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/bluerdg/index.htm

make sure you page down to the hill profiles.

vaxn8r
05-15-2004, 03:57 PM
I wasn't trying to diss you Saab, I was talking hills. I've heard Switzerland has something called mountains. ...

Actually we have a mountain range called the Cascades and there are some pretty good (and scenic) climbs. The hills right around here are about 400-1,000 foot climbs but there are tons of them so they do add up. We also have the option of riding up north into the Willamette valley though. Nice and flat. Of course the valley is known for wind. To each his own.

I really want to ride in Europe and will one of these days. With 4 kids between 4 and 12 the opportunity hasn't arrived yet....

Use your jump seat and jet out here for a weekend. It'd be fun.

vaxn8r
05-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Va Rider, those rides look great. I went to school in New England and made it down to the DC area several times. Those rides would have been fun. Maybe another trip in the future because I love that area.

Russ
05-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Saab,

In my experience, I have found that many of these new Campy components don't become available separate or as spare parts for 6 t 8 months after the main products have been released. I have had similar problems in previous years.... Now, remember that Campy makes TWO types of 42T rings, one that is used with the 52T rings and one that is used with the 53T!

I deal with two bikes shops (one local and another in Colorado), that will find whatever you are looking for! One of the shops even says that if it is available anywhere on earth, and available to the public, they will get what you need!!! Sometimes, however, they will charge you a bit more for the extra time and cost involved in getting what you need. Are you willing to pay 10 or 20% more if they locate this ring for you? I also deal with a few guys in Italy that try hard at getting anything I want... They can be slow, however.

If you are interested and you have not found what you need, send me a PM and I will see how I would help you...

Climb01742
05-16-2004, 06:08 AM
or just switch to DA 10 and discover what riding is really like. :p

Russ
05-16-2004, 11:38 AM
or just switch to DA 10 and discover what riding is really like. :p

Climb,

If you continue this ShimaNO lobbying, I will not speak to you at the TdFL, OK! :rolleyes: